DB killer/Baffle for track days?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Apologies for starting a thread that I believe has been discussed multiple times before, but I'm struggling to get an answer for my particular needs.

I'm due to spend 2 days at Donny and believe my bike to be far too loud for the 98DB limit they're imposing. (It is training rather than full fledged track day so won't be pushing very hard)

I have Akro shorty/stubby, cat delete, valve retained:
Exhaust2.jpg

I've tried using phone apps to get a gauge of just how loud it is (reading of 110DBA, 50cm away at 45 degrees @5500rpm) but doubt the accuracy.

I think I have a few options open to me but would greatly appreciate any advice from those with more experience than me:

• Get a full stock system and fit that
    • Seems daft to have 2 full systems, but potentially handy if/when I come to sell
  • Get a different end can
    • Not sure what will/won't make enough of a difference
  • Get a DB killer/Baffle, something like THIS
    • No idea what these are like and whether they have a real impact
  • Buy a half decent sound meter
    • Might help to see what works, but may differ to track readings

I'll close with another apology - this time for joining up then asking for help straight away :apologetic:

Last edited:
You could speak to MHP. They could build you a slipon solution. I.e. a replacement endcan for track work

- Alex

I think the first step going forward would be to establish what the noise levels are for the various rev ranges ie 5000, 7000, 10,000 etc at each track you would like to ride on. For example my local track tests at 2/3 of the rev range so I know no matter what I do with a full Akra system I am never getting anywhere near passing the noise test. To get accurate readings you may need to ride out to a track. If might be a long round trip but at least you know what you are working with to start with. I’m sure clever people can then give you better options about simply swapping end cans with baffles in to reach the required level for that track.

Hi, unfortunately even with the std silencer, it wouldn't pass at 98db.

The std silencer is 99db.

A lot of std bikes don't pass at Donington quiet days.

J

Hi, unfortunately even with the std silencer, it wouldn't pass at 98db.

The std silencer is 99db.

A lot of std bikes don't pass at Donington quiet days.

J

Is that static or driveby? When I was there last summer, there was a couple of S1000RR's and an HP4 that didn't have any issues (although I didn't pay attention to there setups

pipewerx do some very good,tailormade cans for different systems that are track friendly,i have 1 for my bike for UK t/days.so good,baffle not needed (for 102 days)

98 flyby is loud.

oulton is 102 static and (from memory) 89db flyby,but as far as flyby goes,supppose it depends on where the sound meter is,and how close to track.

Depends on if its a quiet or noisy day. Mine failed with the std exhaust there....
Thats really quite odd. I've had a Panigale without baffles around Donny on a quiet day without problems, albeit a few years back. The Pani got black flagged in half a lap at Spa which is notorious for strict noise testing, switched to the stock gen 3 BMW and no problems at all even though Spa has a vmax straight and many 150mph corners.

https://youtu.be/XFUNxeUe-18

Back