Sprint Air filter

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tattoobob

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone using a Sprint air filter in their bike? I've read a lot of good reviews and was thinking about getting one. Any info appreciated.
Thanks

Rob.

I am using a P08 Sprint.
My bike by and large lives on track.
I chose the P08 as it, on paper, has better filtration than its competitors, whilst flowing more freely than OEM, it claims.

I have zero proof that its true. But I would still buy it over the competition.

The oem filter is proven to be very good with excellent filtration. So your money maybe better spent elsewhere.

- Alex

Last edited:
So I was pulling the bike about earlier.
Whipped out the filter.

Lots of large debris caught...

8bd8e33bf26f89014820d934b62199d9.jpg

But there is a lot of oil mist debris, my first thought its from the SAS...
Anyone had similar on the 17+
2222b0355fa841368e2d519147ef39fc.jpg

Inside the trumpets is ok.
3af8860c0122824026711a203068fb04.jpg

Wiped off the cover.
65cd48657d4fa4bff4b1985b7b708f56.jpg

- Alex

Last edited:
yep always seem to get oil vapour in my airbox,it's not a bad thing really(as long as not excessive) as helps catch any fine stuff that gets through the filter.yours is in need of a good clean though..

Air Filter

There?s generally always a bit of oil residue in the airbox. You really need to clean your air filter though!

Fear not, filter cleaning started after the picture.

How do you take the airbox off? Is it just the 4 bolts here?

2fee0a1a642fc0dd2244190caf74e101.jpg

- Alex

The filter can't have anything to do with oil residue, but maybe some of the dirt. Unless I've been following someone spraying it out the back. The crankcase breather system is what blows oil back into the intake.

Thanks for the thread as I do have a slight deflection in my filter so I will cure that with the tips in there...and will consider changing.

Last edited:
Great video.
Yup, I didn't install well enough. I'll clean it all and go again - then check after a TD or 3.

I have a new stock filter as well I can pop in if there's no improvement.

I certainly don't think BMC/K&N etc are a better answer.

Last edited:
Alex did refitting the air filter properly sort the dust/dirt situation in the airbox as I?ve just taken mine out my gen 4 to clean and it?s done exactly the same as yours but when looking at the filters fit there was a 2mm gap along the smaller edge that the filter didn?t cover

The Sprints are a pain to fit in the channels correctly. Tbh I haven't checked since fitting the oem back in.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The Sprints are a pain to fit in the channels correctly. Tbh I haven't checked since fitting the oem back in.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I?ll have to keep an eye on it once it?s back out on the road again if the problem comes back I?ll be putting it in the bin

I know from the American forums alot have a issue with sprint and having dusty airboxes

Iv had no issue with BMC race filter.

I've had both, I wouldnt say one is more issues over another. Both needs to be cleaned and re-oiled every 4-5k kms

The Sprint is sold as a no-oil filter, because of it's construction that differs from BMC = Foam, K&N = Cotton. So it leaves us with a quandry.

https://www.sprintfilter.net/motorcycle/products/bmw/s1000rr/57

"VIRTUALLY MAINTENANCE FREE
To clean your Sprint Filter P08, simply remove the filter from the airbox, blow it clean with compressed air, and reinsert it. No messy washing, aftermarket cleaners or oil treatments required, saving you valuable time and money!"

"Current production vehicles are typically equipped with paper filters, while performance vehicles used oil-soaked cotton or sponge. An air filter job is to guarantee good air flow while preventing significant particles from ending up in the engine. These two operations naturally oppose each other and that is where Sprint Filters? polyester filtering fabric takes a leap above the rest. Polyester fabric is extremely permeable, stable and is not affected by folding during construction. Cotton or sponge air filters, on the other hand, have a weaving that depends on the overlapping of numerous layers, leading to poor flow in some areas and ineffective filtration in others.
The construction precision of the Sprint Filter polyester air filters offers equal filtration that remains constant over time. By contrast, a cotton air filter has extremely variable openings, from just a few microns to several tenths."

Last edited:
Mine (gen1) had a k and n in it when I got it in 2014, still there after the 36,000 miles I've done on it, cleaned it once (or possibly twice), no problems at all, it's got a full akra, and pc5 mapped , 199bhp at the back wheel - think that's a good enough recommendation.

Back