Ducati 1299 Panigale S

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you're enjoying it, looks super clean. I think I will always have big love for the Ducati no matter what I am riding; I've had so many adventures on them!

Glad you're enjoying it, looks super clean. I think I will always have big love for the Ducati no matter what I am riding; I've had so many adventures on them!

cheers bud.

Now that I’ve done a decent run I feel I can comment a bit further on the bike.

First thing that I’m pleased about is how comfortable it is in comparison to the bmw, for me the narrower tank does wonders for the sometimes pain that I get in my left leg. With the bmw I would get the pain within 20 miles but I never got it once during the run at the weekend. I think I did roughly 150 miles.

Power wise both bikes are spot on, I haven’t been any where near full throttle at times but still enough to press on and it’s quick, it doesn’t lack that’s for sure. I think I use it better because of the lower rpm limit, with the bmw I could never get used to the 14,500 limit and would short shift often, even when I was pressing on. Not really a negative for the bmw just that I think the Panigale will suit me better in that sense.

Handling wise the Panigale feels more light and nimble and easier to flick about, the bmw might initially feel easier to ride fast at first but the Panigale feels to me just as easy to ride fast. I leave it in dynamic mode in race and the suspension feels bang on, I’ll have to wait until the conditions are better and I can comment on that further.

Around town it’s crap, but who cares, thankfully where I live I don’t need to deal with built up traffic and loads of towns so I’m not going to lose sleep over that one, but the beemer was way better in that respect.

I managed roughly 29mpg with a mixture of riding which I’m happy with, another thing the bmw was superb at, with a similar run I’d have easily managed 35mpg, probably edging towards 40mpg but again I’m not going to grumble at 29mpg.

So overall I’m pleased with the bike.

They do run hotter than the BMW; jeans in the summer are not a very good option if you are around town although I did used to still do that and put up with it. The BMW is way more friendly for anything practical; runs cooler, much smoother engine, cruise control, heated grips, etc. Tank range is similar to the BMW; around 100 miles up to 120 if you are doing OAP motorway riding.

Last edited:
Did you notice any heat from the zorst? Probably not this time of year. Also what tank range do you think it will do?

As Dave says you don’t really notice at this time of the year but I can imagine it will do. Not sure whether it’ll be worse than the beemer, will have to wait and see on that one.

Your gixxer ones better Wull..lol... need to get that Ducati out on a dry road, get it buzzin.. bike looks great..

Stuart's Galaxy sent this !

Last edited:
Your gixxer ones better Wull..lol... need to get that Ducati out on a dry road, get it buzzin.. bike looks great..

I’ve got footage from later on but am I hell uploading that lol!

Can’t wait for higher temps and proper dry roads, will rip the arse out of it.

Aye well thats why I PMd you one of mine...

Rip the arse out of it . Ahhh theres nothing better ! Lol

I have mine since 4 years now, 18'000 km, 3'000 on the track without any problems. I'm still in love.

29989297118_5569a029b8_k.jpg

26308333973_f9cc8e4314_o.jpg

40264081083_2ea4bd89d2_k.jpg

43816770452_2fd0dbe07b_k.jpg

Decided to take the 1299 on track, weather was looking good so booked the 2hr open session at Knockhill on the 5th. A few mates were going so the missus decided to come along so I rode the bike there and she brought the essentials in the car.

All set up and ready to go, tyres are Pirelli Rosso 3 so not ideal but tbh they worked well. I set them to 31/32f & 30r off the warmers, I was going to go lower at the rear but decided on 30 and everything seemed ok. I left the riding mode in Race with traction set to 3 and I think wheelie control was set to either 2 or 3. I had that highlighted for adjustment on the fly but never touched it.

As usual the first few times out was a case of getting used to the bike, I haven?t ridden a big bike on track since early October and have ridden the CB500 race bike 3 times on track since so there was an adjustment that had to be made. The 1299 is very fast, the brakes are phenomenal and coupled with the downshifter and blipper it?s just so much fun braking as late as possible and as hard as possible whilst banging down the gears. It was on the back of my mind that it?s mybroad bike and the usual stuff but I enjoyed it, I had fun, it was busy and plenty traffic at times so I?d like to take it back on but this time during a sessions track day.

Took my mates 5JJ R1 race bike out for a few laps, cracking bike that?s well set up but after riding the 1299 the lack of power was apparent, and the lack of brakes. The brakes are good and the feel is good but just no power when you compare to the 1299. I remember the brakes being awesome on the Gen 1 S1krr but I?d say the 1299 brakes are just that little bit better.

That's the 330mm front discs for you. That extra diameter makes all the difference even with the same M50 calipers on the S1000RR. I wish someone did 330mm's for the S1K. J

I've had my 1098 since new and still love riding it and even sitting staring at it for hours. Such lovely bikes sports Ducati's. Race bikes converted for road use. I actually prefer working on my Ducati to the S1000RR. BMW seem to use twice as many bolts for the same thing than Ducati.

https://flic.kr/p/2fqR6Ch

Latest posts

Back