Ducati 1299 Panigale S

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wull

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I?d start a post in here with pics etc of my ownership. Not much has been happening considering the time of the year however I did manage to get out on the 29th of December for 45 miles and I?ve already experienced some problems.......but I?ll get to that.

Some pics in the showroom

F8-F188-C5-56-C8-473-E-A64-C-62632925248-F.jpg

F90-D0476-3689-40-DD-AACC-86-A2811016-B0.jpg

D6-ACB97-F-950-C-4234-9-C5-B-73-FB19610-DA9.jpg

collection day

DFA6-BBFC-D7-E4-42-C9-92-C6-EF46-C130-BB8-B.jpg

i must admit the whole experience had been really good, having a tour around the whole facility, through the workshop to collection day, fantastic experience.

After riding the bike home

F6-BA8790-2-DF2-423-A-BEB0-F1201414-EE4-A.jpg

DFDBC1-B9-B803-4-F62-AAAB-F8473-B0-DCD1-E.jpg

96-F61-EA8-82-D6-4101-993-D-FD13107-E3-B18.jpg

first impressions of the bike - I love it. For me personally the riding position suits me better, the narrower tank does wonders for my knees and the issue I have with my left leg, I find it absolutely ideal for me. The ride home was roughly 65 miles in not ideal conditions but the handling and power felt really good, I?ll have to wait until the better weather to delve into that deeper but so far so good.

The brakes are phenomenal, really sharp, I can see me having plenty fun knowing I can reduce my speed very quickly, will look forward to taking the bike on track as I can imagine they?ll be extremely brilliant in that environment. The shifter is awesome, the downshios with blipper is addictive, my first experience of this on a bike and I must admit, I love it.

The sound of the bike is amazing, it has the akrapovic slip on cans which is all it needs, it?s very loud. I very much like the dash, I like the display and I like the ease of use with setting stuff up, or scrolling through the settings.

So first impressions are good. Just need the better weather now.

First job was to fit the ctek connector to the battery for charging the battery with the trickle charger. Now the Ducati has a charger which you can use via the dda connector under pillion seat but i have the ctek charger already. The other option is to purchase the adaptor cable which fits the plug and also fits the ctek but the only place I could find one was in the America and I already had everything that was needed, so no point spending any money.

Only downside is........it?s a bit of a faff to remove the panels, but I got there in the end up.

9-EA4-B0-BC-0-B09-4079-BB03-1-A1-F8-AF80-E10.jpg

370-F9279-7-A05-4-E2-E-82-F7-A514-CE18-B62-B.jpg

1-CBB2-AB6-3038-4-FFC-9076-D23-B1-CACF529.jpg

A288-E503-9299-4-AD7-8-B89-7-E4-CD361-C012.jpg

C2-A5-ADC2-D9-FC-483-C-B5-D4-76046-AC95-DEC.jpg

3-C36-D3-B3-F36-E-450-F-A38-A-FD04-A15-D811-F.jpg

Hadn't had the bike back out again, just a few washes, degreased the chain, lubricated it back up.

i had an issue with the indicator hanging low, it wasn?t overly bad but it was playing on my mind. So I stripped the tail tidy down, then built it back up and it was sitting much better. The indicators are clamped into position as oppose to a nut holding them.

F46-CD7-AC-730-D-4-CC6-9-D3-B-6-F1-E20478562.jpg

That?s now sitting correctly. I have a different tail tidy to fit as I feel the DP tidy comes out too far for my liking, and there seems to be just a tad too much vibration for my liking, I don?t think I?ll get that with the smaller Evotech tidy. That?ll be getting fitted shortly.

I took advantage of the milder weather over the Xmas period, they hadn?t gritted since Xmas morning so I headed out for 45 miles on the 29th December. The conditions weren?t too bad but I still knocked but DTC to 4 just to be on the safe side, roads were quite busy so I was crossing the lines a fair bit whilst on the gas.

Quick shifter wasn?t working from the get go on upshifts, it was working perfectly well on downshifts. I?d say for every 10 attempts it would maybe work once, if that. Gently roll off like you would do old school for a clutchless shift and it would shift, use the clutch and it would shift but try it the way it was meant to and the lever would not budge. The bike is under warranty so I?ll het it fixed but I had a look online and I?ve had a few tips.

One is it?s gubbed and needs replaced, the other is remove the cover on the switch and clean it and the last is remove and replace with the Translogic QS. I?ll more than likely have the std one fixed or replaced then purchase the Translogic QS.

D5-D4131-B-DBFB-4-FFF-AC8-F-33-D812-D9-D7-B3.jpg

826682-B4-E3-CD-4-AC6-98-F3-615-D2179-EFAF.jpg

2-A2167-E3-35-B3-453-A-B179-A2649-DE7-B6-CD.jpg

F6-E58-F41-F83-D-4256-B9-AA-E0-A5-BB168-B4-E.jpg

EA8-EF1-CC-2-A2-B-4-C71-998-C-908-DE0-EFCC64.jpg

F2-E0-FDB2-9-D2-C-4684-8-EBE-56-CB687-CC9-AC.jpg

I haven?t got any plans for the bike other than fitting the tail tidy, and fitting a taller screen, I?ll purchase the DP oversized screen, probably next month or maybe April and that?s it.

Great initial write up Wull!

Am glad you?re enjoying the bike despite the poor weather.
I?m sure you?ll be happy with the Evotech tail tidy, they are superb quality.

Sorry to hear of the DQS issue, it seems the quick shifters are a common fault on Panigale?s, including the V4 models.
Hopefully your dealer resolve the issue very soon.

Fingers crossed for good weather and many enjoyable miles ahead, shall look forward to reading the next instalment [emoji41]

Oh and the bike looks amazing in all those photos!

- Oli

Great write up Wull! Sorry to hear about QS problem but dealer should sort it.
The bike looks great🙂.... the red makes a nice contrast with the damp tarmac 😕
Roll on the longer days and sunshine.

Cheers guys......

fitted the tail tidy today and stuck the plate on, might be a tad too small but I?ll see how it goes, I had completely forgot what size plate was on the beemer and for some reason thought it was 7x5......which it clearly was not. I think it was either 8x6 or maybe 8x7.

The LED plate light that?s supplied with the kit does not work, I thought maybe it was the connections that I don?t but there?s 12v getting there so it?s the light itself. I?ve emailed them so hopefully they?ll send me a replacement.

BC2-B0-A0-D-923-E-40-CB-8294-3-F7-C14-FBBCD3.jpg

32672-F10-7-B79-4-B75-9827-948-A684445-A6.jpg

C65-C22-E2-C37-C-44-D9-A8-EC-4-A53-BBF503-D5.jpg

9-A001622-CB86-418-D-B7-BF-AAB77-F915-FFF.jpg

Comparison of the Ducati performance tail tidy and Evotech tail tidy. Not exactly the same position but gives you a proper idea. Obviously the DP tidy is much shorter than the std tidy but I still felt it was too long, it seemed to vibrate too much which bothered me, the Evotech tidy is proper secure and doesn?t flex any at all.

D8734-BDF-A063-4-E80-B876-86-E6580-C6747.jpg

D5-E6-D660-6-BFF-4-A68-A0-AB-646-CD5065-CD3.jpg

A post about the bike itself with some specs.

EngineLiquid cooled 90? 1,285 cc (78.4 cu in) L-twin,[SUP][1][/SUP] 4-valve/cyldesmodromic
Bore / stroke116 mm ? 60.8 mm (4.57 in ? 2.39 in)
Compression ratio12.6:1
Power205 hp (150.8 kW) @ 10,500 rpm (claimed)[SUP][2][/SUP]
174.8 hp (130.3 kW)@ 10,400 rpm (rear wheel)[SUP][3][/SUP]
Torque106.7 lb-ft @ 8750 rpm (claimed)[SUP][2][/SUP]
94.2 lb⋅ft (127.7 N⋅m)@ 8,500 rpm (rear wheel))[SUP][3][/SUP]
Frame typeAluminum monocoque
TiresPirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP
Front: 3.5"?17" 120/70 ZR17. Rear: 6"?17" 200/55 ZR17
Rake, trail24?, 3.8 in (97 mm)
Wheelbase1,440 mm (56.6 in)
Seat height830 mm (32.7 in)
Weight166 kg (367 lb)[SUP][2][/SUP] (dry)
191 kg (420 lb)[SUP][2][/SUP] (wet)
Fuel capacity17 l; 3.7 imp gal (4.5 US gal)
The power claimed is 205bhp and it states 174.8 at the wheel but from watching videos on YouTube, reading forums etc the majority of std 1299 bikes are making between 180-190hp at the wheel.

The S mode is fitted with the semi-active Ohlins smart EC suspension which is more even based compared to the DDC on the BMW. So it’ll adjust itself during braking, mid corner, corner exit etc. When in Dynamic mode you can have it set to auto which means it’ll do its own thing depending on what setting you’re in but you can adjust it to - softer , softer, harder, hardest. So when on track you can adjust that but still have it doing it’s own thing. If you want it set like you would with normal forks you simply come out of dynamic mode and set the compression and rebound via the dash, for example compression might be 1 to 24, you simply select the number you want. For setting rider sag it’s the same as other forks, you have to remove the electrical connectors on the front fork first of all.

I’ve left it in Dynamic mode but will explore more next season.

The dash and menu. You don’t get launch control or pit lane limiter like the gen 3 but that’s something I had thought about and decided that was the equivalent to launch on my fast cars and pops and bangs and that wore thin with me and I didn’t like it, so it was something I could live without.

You have 3 settings, Race, Sport and Rain. Each setting has its own default settings and when you’re in those default settings the mode name will show up as green. If you have customised that setting it will show up as yellow I believe. On the L/H switchgear you have a -/+ switch, you activate one with your thumb and the other with your forefinger as it’s arounf the other side, this allows you to adjust a selected setting on the fly, but only when in race mode. You select beforehand the feature you want to adjust, so for example you might have the Ducati Traction control highlighted and set to 3, you might feel its being a bit intrusive on corner exit and slowing you up, not driving out of the corner as much as it should so you can quickly back it off to setting 2. Similarly if you have it set to Ducati Wheelie Control and the front is lifting too much you can adjust it to a higher setting. I have it set to Race and have the DTC highlighted, that allows me on the rod to adjust it quickly if I feel it’s a bit greasy, roads are busy and I’m in and out crossing the line a fair bit.

The issue with Race mode is the dash comes up with the laptimer function, this is known as race display, this also gives you the lean angle display, now unlike the beemer there is no max angle display and the only way to see your max angle is by actually activating the laptimer and going back in the menu to view your lap data. I can imagine this would bother some but for me it doesn’t. What I don’t know is how much info you can retrieve with relation to DTC intervention, so for track use I can imagine that would bother people. You can fit the gps and dda add one which give you much more info, but with the beemer I know quite a few who have went out and then looked at the traction control intervention display, seen that it’s bately intervened then went back out and deliberately been more aggressive with the throttle on corner exit and went much faster. It’s the difference because you know, I’ll have to in the book but if you can access information for DTC intervention you’ll have to go into the menu and select laptimer to view info.

What i I forgot to put which is why I started that last bit is even though I have it in Race mode you can select in the Race mode customisation page “display” and then change to road which takes the laptimer function away and gives me the road display.

29-EB1-E78-D5-F2-46-A7-A309-A770-B8-FEB1-DF.jpg

088-F4073-5045-4-C42-9-F4-D-7254-F8-D92-CE6.jpg

I love the dash on the Ducati, you can set it to daylight, nighttime and auto.

So you have Ducati traction control, Ducati wheelie control, Engine braking control, ABS, and Ducati quickshifter which are all adjustable.

Thats just a quick brief description on a few things, whether someone is considering buying one or wants to know some stuff that might not be clear online, there’s a few things I wanted to know and had to look for a bit to find out, with regards to the lean angle display, and a few others.

Off the top of my head the difference between the non S model and the S are

[FONT=&quot]1299 and 1299 S changes at-a-glance[/FONT]

• 1299 has LED side lights, and the 1299 S has full LED headlights.
  • Sachs steering damper rather than Ohlins on the 1299S
  • The S gets on the fly adjustment buttons on the left handlebar to adjust either wheelie control, electronic engine braking, or traction control while on the move, it’s only adjustable through the menu on the 1299.
  • The 1299 Panigale gets 50mm Marzocchi forks with black anodised aluminium sliders and a fork leg slider in a matt champagne colour finish.
  • Forged tri-W wheels on the standard 1299, lighter cast aluminium tri-Y wheels on the 1299S.

I also think the dash display is of higher resolution or something like that but I’m not certain.

Just need the better weather now to get out and have some fun, explore more settings, see how she really compares. I think it’s a case of 6 and two 3’s, just depends what you’re in to I suppose, it definitely tickles my fancy that’s for sure.

i must be getting old because to me the oe tail looks a lot tidy'er than the new one. the oe has smoother lines and moves the plate away from the sleek rear end. the new one just moves the plate closer as i know they should but it just dosnt look right to me. Ducatis oe attempt is probably one of the best oe ones around and allows for easy cleaning around that area.

i must be getting old because to me the oe tail looks a lot tidy'er than the new one. the oe has smoother lines and moves the plate away from the sleek rear end. the new one just moves the plate closer as i know they should but it just dosnt look right to me. Ducatis oe attempt is probably one of the best oe ones around and allows for easy cleaning around that area.

To me OE means original equipment and the DP tail tidy is an aftermarket option to the std tidy, the std tidy like most bikes comes back about 3ft.

I actually liked the look of the DP tail tidy, the issue I have with it though is the vibration and movement with it, it?s far too excessive and I don?t like that. So for me the only option was to replace it. The Evotech tail tidy also allows me to fit a wider range of plate sizes, the DP only really allows for std sized plates.

Last edited:
Checking the bike over for a ride out on Sunday. Quick shifter still not working on upshifts so decided to have a look. Took the switch off, cleaned the contacts then put it back on. Went for a short ride and it?s working fine again, for how long I do not know.

I will more than likely purchase and fit the Translogic shifter but there?s no rush.

I also thought my chain was slack but I measured the slack as advised and it?s bang on.

I purchased a new camera so trying that out, will give much better results than the pictures I take with my phone.

7-EF81836-5-A58-4-CBD-9-B5-B-AF43-E4-F3-E83-D.jpg

611-BB366-A524-409-A-A0-DA-107-A8-ACE4-D0-C.jpg

98-B51820-EB79-40-B8-B6-FC-B5-A3-C03-E4136.jpg

Last edited:
A few more

Attachments

• 55F9467F-7A01-470C-BD0F-0BB45B61376F.jpg
    55F9467F-7A01-470C-BD0F-0BB45B61376F.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 83
  • 6BE86D3D-43C0-4170-BFE9-6BD3B0CB2A20.jpg
    6BE86D3D-43C0-4170-BFE9-6BD3B0CB2A20.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 82
Just watched the 2nd race WSB Philip Island, and I think Ducati have sneaked a Motogp prototype on the grid.
I was so looking forward to seeing the New RR, and even Rea was a bit shell shocked.

Just watched the 2nd race WSB Philip Island, and I think Ducati have sneaked a Motogp prototype on the grid.
I was so looking forward to seeing the New RR, and even Rea was a bit shell shocked.

I think after the 3rd round they review all rpm limits on the bikes and I imagine the V4R will be knocked back a bit. Do I think it’ll matter???? Don’t think so......

I think it’ll make for closer racing but Bautista is a class above, I like Rea, got bored of him winning constantly but Alvaro is just brilliant the way he rides a bike, the consistent race pace is astoundingly fast, Rea has his work cut out that’s for sure.

Alvaro has brought a better challenge to Rea. The V4R, Philip Island and Alvaro was a match made in heaven. I heard them say in the commetary that the v4 is more compact in terms of length that the Vtwin so there were added chassis benefits with the switch. Tyre life has always been a strong point and this was all about the tyres.
I don't mind if Ducati break their duc' ( ;) ) this year but I don't want total annihilation, that's what everyone agreed was wrong with the last few years. I think there could be a few titanic battles based on the 10lap super pole race.

I am also hating the stupidity of people say the 12second victory was proof all MotoGP riders are better than all WSBK riders and that Rea and co were not worthy. It's just moronic.

Alvaro has brought a better challenge to Rea. The V4R, Philip Island and Alvaro was a match made in heaven. I heard them say in the commetary that the v4 is more compact in terms of length that the Vtwin so there were added chassis benefits with the switch. Tyre life has always been a strong point and this was all about the tyres.
I don't mind if Ducati break their duc' ( ;) ) this year but I don't want total annihilation, that's what everyone agreed was wrong with the last few years. I think there could be a few titanic battles based on the 10lap super pole race.

I am also hating the stupidity of people say the 12second victory was proof all MotoGP riders are better than all WSBK riders and that Rea and co were not worthy. It's just moronic.

The best comment on Facebook that I seen stated that WSBK riders aren’t as good as GP riders, then proceeded to use Nicky Hayden as an example, I had to comment making them aware that he had won the GP championship, some proper idiots about.

Wull - I saw your bike today - was looking good. I went for blast up to the Green Welly then stopped at the Laid Inn on the way back down and saw it parked up along with the other bikes - good turnout eh ? There were load out bikes out today - happy days - hope the salt stays away.....

Wull - I saw your bike today - was looking good. I went for blast up to the Green Welly then stopped at the Laid Inn on the way back down and saw it parked up along with the other bikes - good turnout eh ? There were load out bikes out today - happy days - hope the salt stays away.....

62 bikes for the run, 33 of us were eating. Conditions were iffy to begin with then it got better later on. We all pretty much went home after the food, I went and got some fuel then headed up to Killin.

QS wasn’t working again from the moment I wheeled it out from the workshop. They’re coming to collect it on the 12th of March so hopefully after then it’ll be working as it should and have no further problems.

Latest posts

Back