Questions about the 2019 RR?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They could change.

In my very humble opinion, I think BMW brought forward the release of this new design bike by 6-9 months to make the most of the lack of other major new releases this year, i.e steal the headlines. I say this by the fact that it'll be June at least till it's available in Europe and late in the year for the US..... Personally, I don't feel it's a normal release schedule for BMW.

They could change.

In my very humble opinion, I think BMW brought forward the release of this new design bike by 6-9 months to make the most of the lack of other major new releases this year, i.e steal the headlines. I say this by the fact that it'll be June at least till it's available in Europe and late in the year for the US..... Personally, I don't feel it's a normal release schedule for BMW.

I think you are correct. Next year would make more sense, Feb March time is the usual new model slot. Would also explain the ‘pre production’ plastics seen at the nec in december, always felt a bit close to release date (originally March/April) to not be using production parts.

Tim,

I could be totally wrong here but from what I saw of the pre production bike at the show, it looked like the handlebars are cast as part of the top yoke which I can understand reduces costs and makes assembly easier but..... really? You'd have to buy the complete top yoke, both handlebar unit after a light spill. Plus raising bars, changing angle of bars, third party parts?

So why? What's the benefit for the user?

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

The handlebars are part of the top yoke, but attached separately. So if you were to have a spill, they are available.

Tim,

That's good to know.... hopefully they've made the handlebars weaker than the clamp part of the top yoke. Be interesting to see how that mounting gets utilised by third party manufacturers. Thanks for answering the question.

2019 RR Questions

Will the HP4 Race Quick Action Throttle be compatible?

If not...

Will BMW be releasing one as an aftermarket HP/M race accessory?

It's actually a clever reduction in parts, weight, complexity. And it allows the bars to be higher on the forks for road riding.

Good prompt Gixxer.

Tim - have BMW done anything with the motor to eliminate the vibe problems so many people have suffered with, as a road bike?

Hi chaps. So I?m out here at the moment. They?re not exactly inviting questions. A lot of it very much focussed around everything we already know (in the nicest possible way).

We had a very interesting morning playing with all the settings with the TFT. Lots of options and so simple to use. That was their main design brief. Make it simple.

Regarding brakes, they did testing with both Brembo and Hayes. Apparently there was quite a bit of feedback from the worldwide network, that the brakes were over aggressive. The switch to Hayes has been to allow a bit more feel to the pressure and bite. But it?s all personal opinion.

Something I didn?t realise is that the shift cam only come into play at 9000rpm. There?s no sudden gain in power and torque, it?s just a steady flow of both. So unlike the R1250s shift can this is purely RPM activated rather than throttle position.

But the proof will be in the riding. Talking of which, as I type this I?m sat on the bus in my one piece leathers on the way to Portimao. I?ve got my drift on my helmet, so will be uploading/attaching a link soon.

Regarding race kits RCKs etc. No one seems to know as yet. The only accessories available are carbon and cover kits. But they assure me M performance parts will be announced in time for launch.

Hi chaps. So I’m out here at the moment. They’re not exactly inviting questions. A lot of it very much focussed around everything we already know (in the nicest possible way).

We had a very interesting morning playing with all the settings with the TFT. Lots of options and so simple to use. That was their main design brief. Make it simple.

Regarding brakes, they did testing with both Brembo and Hayes. Apparently there was quite a bit of feedback from the worldwide network, that the brakes were over aggressive. The switch to Hayes has been to allow a bit more feel to the pressure and bite. But it’s all personal opinion.

Something I didn’t realise is that the shift cam only come into play at 9000rpm. There’s no sudden gain in power and torque, it’s just a steady flow of both. So unlike the R1250s shift can this is purely RPM activated rather than throttle position.

But the proof will be in the riding. Talking of which, as I type this I’m sat on the bus in my one piece leathers on the way to Portimao. I’ve got my drift on my helmet, so will be uploading/attaching a link soon.

Regarding race kits RCKs etc. No one seems to know as yet. The only accessories available are carbon and cover kits. But they assure me M performance parts will be announced in time for launch.

Have a great day on an incredible circuit.

Annoyingly, they?re not allowing cameras on track as the dash unit are still in a prototype phase.

So, first impressions.

We started off in rain mode. Didn?t know what to expect, took it easy and tried to learn the circuit.

On the circuit, not one that I enjoy. I?m not a fan of blind crests and off camber corners, so naturally this one isn?t for me.

Because the tank is so narrow, it?s very easy to move around on the bike. So quickly gave me confidence to start hanging off the bike.

We were only riding the M-Sport version, so we had carbon wheels and Racetec RR tyres.

For me it felt very light on the front end. Any bump in the track while on power and you?d feel it leave the floor. But the way it changed direction was completely effortless.

For me personally it almost felt too light, I would have liked to try the sport model with the cast or forged wheels. But I would have also liked to have tried stiffening up the steering damper. Other people here were making similar comments whereas a lot were saying how much more responsive it was to any input and it never left you thinking that it wasn?t going to go where you pointed it.
I have to agree that at no point did I think I?d overshot a corner or missed a turn in point. I started aiming for later and later apex? just to see if it would make it and every time it did.

To me it felt the bars were more straight meaning more pressure on the outside of your palm (which for me with a old hand fracture, wasn?t the most comfy). The other thing everyone mentioned was how much tighter you are on the bike. The ergonomics between your butt and feet feels noticeably smaller, so with my long legs, I found I wasn?t uncomfortable on track, but a long road ride and I reckon I probably would be. Please bear in mind though, I do have 36 inch inside leg.

That?s about all I can think of at the moment. I will post pictures as and when they have been checked and cleared for public use. Yes, that is a thing....

Thanks for all the updates and trying to get camera footage. Hope you had a great time on track

I later found out it was because one unfortunately was crashed this morning and was caught on camera. So there maybe something that crops up on YouTube from one of the other groups.

Latest posts

Back