Tyres

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laj-Rai

Reaction score
Hi guys.. Whats happening everyone..
Just wanted to ask what tyres is everyone using for track?
I know every1 is each to their own n its trail n error..
Iv done some basic research n Pirelli sc are meant to be the best..
So iv dropped my bike at dmc for service & brakes pads change n speaking to the guy this morning he saying he can get them in supplied and fitted ?480 which is pricy AF.. but then he goes if i was you id get Avon 3dx extreme which is just as good and its ?250 supplied and fitted.. i duno if hes getting commission from Avon or something.. So whats your views guys..
Im currently using Metzelers and a super novice..
Also I will be spending 4 days on the Portimao circuit..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

There are no best tires.

You have a choice of Pirelli SP, Dunlop KR slicks, Bridgestone V02 - these are the most popular as far as I can tell.

Pirellis are the most expensive of 3 I believe.

Last edited:
Tyre choice is dependent on temp/weather/situation/talent

When are you going to Portimao?
Are you using warmers?

The Avon tyre is not a hypersport. They will last well. But won't give ultimate grip. Then if you get to Portimao and it rains you'll still be out on track.

Need details on what your mechanic is changing on the brakes; are you talking pads/discs/fluid?

SC's are a choice for road legal track tyre, alternatives are Dunlop TT, Metzeler RR K3.

There are no best tires.

You have a choice of Pirelli SP, Dunlop KR slicks, Bridgestone V02 - these are the most popular as far as I can tell.

Pirellis are the most expensive of 3 I believe.
Cheers bmwbadboy [emoji106]

Tyre choice is dependent on temp/weather/situation/talent

When are you going to Portimao?
Are you using warmers?

The Avon tyre is not a hypersport. They will last well. But won't give ultimate grip. Then if you get to Portimao and it rains you'll still be out on track.

Need details on what your mechanic is changing on the brakes; are you talking pads/discs/fluid?

SC's are a choice for road legal track tyre, alternatives are Dunlop TT, Metzeler RR K3.
Im there from April 4th to 8th... Weather is going going to be sunny dry 22/23 degrees which is great!
I have ordered capit tyre warmers from rrp will be using first time.. Its my second track day so still getting the hang of it.. Probably be pushing it the most last few days..

Just changing the pads to brembos..
Looking to get tyres with the most grip so can think less and have that "fkk it lets give it some mentality" while out on track..

D212 Slick Dunlop's E rear, M front.
Great tyres will take you from novice to fast.

Buy from FWR, have fitted before you get there.

- Alex

Zo4 pads would be 300+ but they are overkill for your needs and do not work on the street.

Brembo SC pads will do fine and should be ~?130

- Alex

Just for reference pirelli sp are the road legal
SC are track only.

Personally I wouldn't use Avon track tires.

Dunlop 212 are great.

On my race bike I use pirelli sc1 front sc2 rear. And brembo sc pads

D212 Slick Dunlop's E rear, M front.
Great tyres will take you from novice to fast.

Buy from FWR, have fitted before you get there.

- Alex
Cheers Alex [emoji106]

If your a novice rider don't put sc on, you need to ride fast to keep racing compound tyres hot.

I would look at corsar 2s if your novice or maybe rosso 3s.

And 480 quid is taking the p...

Oh if your novice you might get 4 days out of a rosso 3 as well.

Rosso 2, Dunlop TT will all be ok I think the Rosso 3's can soon be overwhelmed particularly with rear traction.

Im there from April 4th to 8th... Weather is going going to be sunny dry 22/23 degrees which is great!

youv'e never done portimao before then i take it....

Fwr are doing special prices on R11's and V02's this week.

I fancy some soft R11's for UK track days...

- Alex

Back