2019 - Old me, new RR...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 687

Reaction score
Hi everyone, was a member here back in 2016 on a Gen 3 RR. Last two years was on a GS. Went to the bike show and sat on the new RR. You know the rest....great to be back!

Welcome back! I sold my GSA last year after 5 glorious years of ownership. Fancied a change and got a HP4 which I love.
I do miss the GS though so hoping one day I can own both and be very happy!

Enjoy your new steed whenever it arrives!

Last edited:
Thanks mate, I would love to own both a GS and RR one day....but for now its one or the other!

Some debate over when it arrives but whenever it comes I am READY!

A belated welcome back to the forum!

Like yourself, an RR and a GSA would be my ideal 2 bike garage.

What sort of riding do you enjoy and what was your motivation to switch from RR to GS and then back to RR?

Enjoy the forum and congratulations on your Gen 4 preorder [emoji41]

- Oli

Hi Oli!

Thanks for the welcome back. So biking wise; I commute into work every day which is a 15 mile round trip (rain or shine). I rarely get time to ride with friends at the weekend (as have two young kids) and track as much as I can. Which equates to about 5 times in the UK and a track event abroad.

I switched from Gen 3 RR as found it too impractical to commute and felt like I needed a break from track as I was not developing and starting to resent it a little.

I have never had a non-sports bike so the GS just blew me away with what it could do in terms of commute and storage, and I assumed I would find time to ride abroad and never did....so effectively had a ?20k commute bike.

Went to the bike show last year and sat on the new RR and that was it....the feel to track came racing back (excuse the pun). I contacted Simon at Allan Jefferies who I buy my bikes from (as it happens got introduced to him via this forum) and he reserved an M Sport for me!

They bought the GS back from me, deposit on RR and used the rest to buy...wait for it....a Yamaha XMax 400 which I commute on! I hated the thought of a scooter at first but in central London the twist and go is easy on me, it shifts, it carries all my shit and I feel safe. Plus I have secure parking at work and home so theft not an issue for any of the bikes.

And that's my story!

Tell me yours?

Asif

Hi Oli!

Thanks for the welcome back. So biking wise; I commute into work every day which is a 15 mile round trip (rain or shine). I rarely get time to ride with friends at the weekend (as have two young kids) and track as much as I can. Which equates to about 5 times in the UK and a track event abroad.

I switched from Gen 3 RR as found it too impractical to commute and felt like I needed a break from track as I was not developing and starting to resent it a little.

I have never had a non-sports bike so the GS just blew me away with what it could do in terms of commute and storage, and I assumed I would find time to ride abroad and never did....so effectively had a ?20k commute bike.

Went to the bike show last year and sat on the new RR and that was it....the feel to track came racing back (excuse the pun). I contacted Simon at Allan Jefferies who I buy my bikes from (as it happens got introduced to him via this forum) and he reserved an M Sport for me!

They bought the GS back from me, deposit on RR and used the rest to buy...wait for it....a Yamaha XMax 400 which I commute on! I hated the thought of a scooter at first but in central London the twist and go is easy on me, it shifts, it carries all my shit and I feel safe. Plus I have secure parking at work and home so theft not an issue for any of the bikes.

And that's my story!

Tell me yours?

Asif

Hi Asif,

Sounds like you?re going to have a great (and about as varied as is possible) combination later this year, with a Gen 4 M Sport and the scooter! Still must have been fun using the GS for a couple of years, though a totally different riding experience to a sport bike.
It?s great you?ve got secure parking for your bikes, it?s unfortunately a necessity these days.

My story is as follows: started riding age 13 on a little 50cc enduro bike, then got into MX so had a couple KTM?s (400 EXC and 450 SX-f). When I was 21 I did DAS and got a KTM 690 Duke. I always wanted to progress to sport bikes, so subsequently acquired a Triumph Daytona 675 R which covered 18k miles and did a handful of track days. Whilst the Triumph was a sweet little bike, I wanted a more rounded sport bike and as BMW were so amenable to test rides, I test rode a Gen 3 when they were launched and was totally sold, so acquired a Motorsports model back in 2015 which I proceeded to rack up the miles on quite quickly (30k in 2 years or so), using it for occasional commuting, weekend riding and a handful of track days. All my road riding at this point had been solo, as had no immediate friends who were motorcyclists. I ended up getting frustrated not being able to share the biking experience with anyone, so after following the forum for quite some time, I joined the in April 2017 primarily for the community aspect but also to share and acquire more knowledge about these amazing machines and motorcycling in general. Since joining, I?ve been enjoying motorcycling more than ever! It?s an amazing community on here and is always a pleasure being able to share knowledge and experiences with others. I?ve gone on loads of forum rideouts lead by @phil started RoSPA advanced training with the group EAMG and am currently being observed by @preynol1 oh and of course last year we had a fantastic forum tour round the NC767 in Scotland! Most importantly though, have made lots of new friends in the process!
My RR now has 51k miles on the clock and have enjoyed every one of them, it?s been by far and away the best and crucially most enjoyed bike I?ve owned and am now a complete BMW fanboy lol [emoji41]

Well, that?s about it really, enjoy the forum Asif and I look forward to reading about your adventures in due course! [emoji4]

- Oli

Last edited:
Oli

What an amazing write up, thanks for sharing that. It seems like a lot of guys started riding on enduro bikes / MX ect which is a great way to learn and appreciate the bigger bikes. My learning curve was steep as my first ever bike after passing my test was a Yamaha R6 and I got caught speeding and banned within weeks as I was plain stupid. After a biking hiatus my next bike was a new litre Fireblade which I rode like Miss Daisy as had no idea what I was doing! Pleased to say things are different now but I wish I had started on a lower spec bike and learnt to ride properly before advancing to litre bikes!

Really great that you have managed to find so much from this forum. I originally joined to get tips and ideas on bike set up etc but would love to tour around a bit with like minded riders plus meet up on track. Not sure how many guys are London / near to London based but I will find out. I am originally from Manchester and loads of biking opportunities there but here (bar Brands and Snetterton for tracks) I feel a little short on ideas on where to take the Gen 4 when it arrives but would love to rack up the miles like you have done!

Chat soon

Asif

Back