Battery and Tracker

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMORTAL_Indian

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Back in Aug '17, I had an issue with my battery and had it changed under warranty. However, the bike has been with Bahnstormers for nearly a month now (Xmas and all that) to resolve a workmanship issue from another BMW garage. However, I have been getting lots of alerts from the BikeTrac saying battery low, etc. I just received a call from the dealer to say that the battery is not holding a charge and that this is due to the tracker. I have the larger battery installed as I have a factory fitted alarm.

Question: How long do your batteries last before you change them...? The bike is normally ridden daily so not normally as issue. However, a change of job means that I will not ride it daily.

Thanks.

In 6 years I've had two batteries. I think the first change was under warranty, so that means battery changed after 2 years and 6 years. Perhaps 2nd battery lasted longer because I moved to house with leccy in garage so was able to use charger.

Congrats on new job Amit.

3 years is common and what bmw tend to say to expect, sometimes 4. The battery on my Hp4 was 5 years old and still running strong when I sold it, but it did spend all its garage time on a charger.

Alarm fitted = larger battery, no tracker (what’s the point? I wouldn’t want it back after being thrown in the back of a van) 3 years, very rarely use an ‘optimate’. Left for weeks without use, 17k miles. Lots of energy hungry extras, no problems at all. Yet....

The tracker does draw significant charge. In winter without regular use I need to charge my battery every 2 to 3 weeks with alarm & tracker. Your battery might actually be OK if bike used regularly.

I have a tracker fitted mostly because it alerts me if moved or started . I like that i can see my routes and speed. They do drain battery though. My blade battery would last just a week max without running it. I now have my s1000rr connected permanently. Once a battery is run flat they dont often recovery very well. Cycling it again might help. Suggest you but lipo battery massive weight saving but you need a special charger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Alarm fitted = larger battery, no tracker (what?s the point? I wouldn?t want it back after being thrown in the back of a van) 3 years, very rarely use an ?optimate?. Left for weeks without use, 17k miles. Lots of energy hungry extras, no problems at all. Yet....
Having had 2 bmw s stolen last yr (I I got back with very minimal damage). The other wasn't recovered and as such my insurance has tripled. Your point of not wanting it back may change if it actually happened to you and the knock on effects hurt your pocket badly. Ps my new one has a tracker plus more security measures

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Having had 2 bmw s stolen last yr (I I got back with very minimal damage). The other wasn't recovered and as such my insurance has tripled. Your point of not wanting it back may change if it actually happened to you and the knock on effects hurt your pocket badly. Ps my new one has a tracker plus more security measures

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
That’s really grim! I guess it depends on where you live, I’d be expecting them to come back again once it had happened once. I’d probably move house..fkers.

Took the bike off trickle charger on Sunday and went for a ride up to Chipping Norton. Stopped a few times for tea and fuel and the bike started OK. Last fuel stop of the day and the bike would not start. Some old chap helped as he had a portable battery booster pack and 10 seconds later, all was good.

However, now I'm looking for a replacement battery. Any reccomendations (OEM) ? I have and use the Factory Alarm and a tracker.
Thanks.

Last edited:
The OEM's are pretty good - Yuasa were OEM previously.

I don't think as a commuter you're bothered about Lithium weight saving so I'd bite the bullet and get a new YTZ-10S.

Hi, a battery can last for a long, long time. I only replaced my original 1998 TLR battery last weekend and that was only because Lithium batteries are now as inexpensive as lead acid. The battery itself is fine (20+ years old). The TLR needs as much help as it can on the weight front. ;)

I've always used trickle chargers, they just work. My '15 S1000RR has the factory alarm and without a trickle charger it'll flatten the battery in 9-10 days. Similar timescale on my other bikes. Having the lead acid battery sit 'flat' for a couple of weeks will kill it. That's what has probably happened with your battery at the dealers. The battery was keeping your tracker battery topped up, now it's relying on it's own internal battery.

My ipods 2001 from memory, iPad's 2011 from memory etc are all on their original batteries. The only battery I've replaced numerous times in my iPhone 5s for some reason. Lithium Ion batteries i.e phone, laptop need fully charging then discharging 5 times to condition them, i.e tell them where full and empty are. Then you can top up as you like but you do need to flatten them once a month to tell them where empty is again. People tend to just top them up whenever they are near a power point so the batteries learn that point (say 65%) is the empty point. It's called a memory effect. After a while it's irreversible.

Back