New Chain & Sprockets (1st timer)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dom501

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've got a gen 3 S1000rr sport and it needs new chain and sprockets. Now I'm gonna have a go at this myself because I have two bike aswell as this 17 gsxr1000, 02 cbr600f and maintenance starts to mount up.

So far i've bought:

Tab Washer
17 tooth front sprocket
Renthal 45 tooth rear sprocket
D.i.D chain tool (proper one)

Q How many links are in the original chain?

Where can I get the oem split nuts from for the rear sprocket... I'm guessing it's not good practice to re-use them?

I'm sorry if this has been done before, but once I've done it got the tools it another job I can do myself.

Cheers

Dom

just count the links on you exisiting chain,no problem reusing the rear sprocket nuts.

Make sure that the chain you buy has the right type link for your breaker/riveter tool. The DiD chains use a soft link that the DiD tool can rivet.

If you get a chain that has a hard rivet link you will need a different type of riveter like the 'Whale' riveter.

I found this out the hard way when I fitted a Tsubaki chain in the summer.

The Whale is a nice bit of kit, but not cheap :)

and am i right in thinking the whale cant do soft rivet link links, only rivet links? over 100 quid for a chain riveter is bloody expensive.paid 20 quid for a cheapo one (soft rivet) about 10 yrs ago and is still going strong

As I've got a D.I.D tool I'll probably go for a D.I.D chain... but just out of interest has anyone used Regina chains?

As I've got a D.I.D tool I'll probably go for a D.I.D chain... but just out of interest has anyone used Regina chains?

My 2015 Gen 3 has a Regina chain as OEM. At 12.5K miles it is still well withn spec. However it rusts at the mere hint of rain. If I was changing it I'd go DID ZVM2 in gold. The one on my old TL1000S hasnow done 25K miles with two adjustments. The Scottoiler may have had a part in this!

My 2015 Gen 3 has a Regina chain as OEM. At 12.5K miles it is still well withn spec. However it rusts at the mere hint of rain. If I was changing it I'd go DID ZVM2 in gold. The one on my old TL1000S hasnow done 25K miles with two adjustments. The Scottoiler may have had a part in this!

At 12.5k change it mate. Appreciate they are all different and subjected to different amounts of abuse but mine was well looked after, in spec and still let go at 13k and caused major engine casing, frame and loom damage.... and that?s without the fact we were lucky to stay on in busy traffic. Was without the bike for 7 months while BMW rebuilt pretty much everything of note. Not worth it once they have some miles on them for me now...

This is gonna sound really daft so please don't laugh, but you don't need a special socket for that front sprocket nut?

It's a Vagina chain fitted as standard Snook... doesn't matter how often you hammer it, it always ends up rusty, creaky and fucked !

Stuart's Galaxy sent this !
I thought it was because it stretches when used...

- Alex

Back