Bike values?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preynol1

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Had my 17 plate, 12k mile, sport valued today at an Essex dealer. The best they can offer is ?10k!
That?s almost ?5k lost in 21months.
I know it just after Xmas and the new ones due out soon. But the salesman told me the market was still good, just before offering that.

Anyone else got any comparable figures.
With that loss in value buying a new bike doesn?t make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It?s probably the mileage that?s against it I?m guessing, I paid 14k in the summer for a 67 plate with 1000 miles on it from mottorad

I agree that its a lot to drop so quickly.

Book values come from the prices recorded in the trade which determines what the dealer will then generally offer. Trying to trade in when a new model is launched will always be a bad time to trade. The market already has enough demand to push out delivery slots, so the thought of bidding over book on a trade-in when there’s a line of profitable customers already in place would be foolish. Wait until this time next year and you’ll likely get a much better deal, meaning a year of depreciation free biking in the meantime.

It was a bit of a rant!
I knew you lose money as soon as you leave the dealer, but not so much!

I did some digging on the internet and it?s not a bad price currently from a dealer.

I was only looking to swap for a new plate. Think I?ll keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always the same, dealer tells a seller one thing and a buyer another. I paid ?15500 for my 15 4 years ago come May. Mines is sitting at just over 9k miles and much as I'd love the all singing and dancing New one there's no way I'd pay ( at least ) another ?9k to have it. My days of buying brand new bikes are now gone unless I have a lottery win or my long haired Fife mate is gonna treat me.

I can push it out to an Oban fish supper Dunc, that's about the price of a new Ducati.

Heard all the guff from dealers before too, bought a brand new Mini for ?16500 in 2010 and was told if I brought it back within 3 years I would get ?13500 as a trade in against a new one as long as the mileage was below 35000. Dawn was using it for Uni and by two years old it had 32000 on the clock.
I took it in to get a new one and the same person offered me ?9000 for it, when I stated what they told me when I bought it all they said was "things have changed". Needless to say I still have it, it's still perfect and now has 150,000 plus on the clock. I will donate it to a youngster when I run out of the need for it.

I always buy cash for all vehicles and try to get the best deal I can but dealers aren't even fussed as they would rather sell on PCPs and get commissions from the finance companies.

The new S1000RR looks brilliant and I am positive it will be a huge leap forward in performance, but it doesn't make the current bikes redundant. But someone who's livelihood is reliant on selling will tell you different.

JimmyMac

I can push it out to an Oban fish supper Dunc, that's about the price of a new Ducati.

Heard all the guff from dealers before too, bought a brand new Mini for ?16500 in 2010 and was told if I brought it back within 3 years I would get ?13500 as a trade in against a new one as long as the mileage was below 35000. Dawn was using it for Uni and by two years old it had 32000 on the clock.
I took it in to get a new one and the same person offered me ?9000 for it, when I stated what they told me when I bought it all they said was "things have changed". Needless to say I still have it, it's still perfect and now has 150,000 plus on the clock. I will donate it to a youngster when I run out of the need for it.

I always buy cash for all vehicles and try to get the best deal I can but dealers aren't even fussed as they would rather sell on PCPs and get commissions from the finance companies.

The new S1000RR looks brilliant and I am positive it will be a huge leap forward in performance, but it doesn't make the current bikes redundant. But someone who's livelihood is reliant on selling will tell you different.

JimmyMac

I'll keep you to that fish supper mate.

Always the same, dealer tells a seller one thing and a buyer another. I paid ?15500 for my 15 4 years ago come May. Mines is sitting at just over 9k miles and much as I'd love the all singing and dancing New one there's no way I'd pay ( at least ) another ?9k to have it. My days of buying brand new bikes are now gone unless I have a lottery win or my long haired Fife mate is gonna treat me.

I think the problem is also that the market for sportsbikes is shrinking all the time, you can get some serious discounts on new prices at the moment which can only depress secondhand values. I have to say I am tempted by the gen 4, although I'll need to ride one first.. but if I do I'll go or an ex demo bike at the end of the season and save some dollar.

Not long ago cash was king. Not now - dealers like PCP as it guarantees the customer will return in 2 - 4 years.
Or in the case of one of my mates - every 3 - 6 months!

Not long ago cash was king. Not now - dealers like PCP as it guarantees the customer will return in 2 - 4 years.
Or in the case of one of my mates - every 3 - 6 months!
How does it work exactly?

You get a loan for 2-4 years and at the end you just upgrade to a new model?

I've never done it so am probably the worst person to explain it. Other than there are a LOT of varying options. All tailored to take your cash :greedy_dollars:

How does it work exactly?

You get a loan for 2-4 years and at the end you just upgrade to a new model?

Say you buy a bike for ?15k. The dealer can give you a guaranteed future value or estimate. Say that after 3 years it is ?10k.

So you need to pay the difference, plus interest on the whole amount on finance over that period. So lets say you throw in ?5k, you finance ?10k.

The finance will be 36 payments of ?138 (?5k divided by 36), plus the monthly interest on the whole amount outstanding. Say its at 5%, you would be paying about ?35-?40 per month in interest, so total ?138 + ?40 = ?178 pcm.

The idea is that when you get to the end of the 3 years you give the bike back, you still owe ?5k but the bike is worth ?10k, so you roll the ?5k equity into the next ?15k bike, payments probably stay similar and you carry on.

Upside, get an expensive bike for low monthly payments.
Downside, you never own anything, you as basically renting and paying down the depreciation.

You could do the same thing over 6 months, 1 year etc, just that the payments would likely be much higher due to the greater depreciation at the start of the asset cycle.

Last edited:
Say you buy a bike for ?15k. The dealer can give you a guaranteed future value or estimate. Say that after 3 years it is ?10k.

So you need to pay the difference, plus interest on the whole amount on finance over that period. So lets say you throw in ?5k, you finance ?10k.

The finance will be 36 payments of ?138 (?5k divided by 36), plus the monthly interest on the whole amount outstanding. Say its at 5%, you would be paying about ?35-?40 per month in interest, so total ?138 + ?40 = ?178 pcm.

The idea is that when you get to the end of the 3 years you give the bike back, you still owe ?5k but the bike is worth ?10k, so you roll the ?5k equity into the next ?15k bike, payments probably stay similar and you carry on.

Downside, you never own anything, you as basically renting and paying down the depreciation.

You could do the same thing over 6 months, 1 year etc, just that the payments would likely be much higher due to the greater depreciation at the start of the asset cycle.

you can of course pay the final outstanding payment and own the bike after the 3/4years

you can of course pay the final outstanding payment and own the bike after the 3/4years
Indeed you can , however if you have good credit & this is your final intention , there are cheaper ways to do it. (Deposit & low interest loan... if you are prepared to chop & change a few zero interest cards, the interest amount could be minimal).

Thanks for thorough explanation, that was useful.

Back