Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Bike values?

  1. #11
    Standard Member Beavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Falkirk
    Posts
    601
    Thanked: 94

    Re: Bike values?

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
    I can push it out to an Oban fish supper Dunc, that's about the price of a new Ducati.

    Heard all the guff from dealers before too, bought a brand new Mini for £16500 in 2010 and was told if I brought it back within 3 years I would get £13500 as a trade in against a new one as long as the mileage was below 35000. Dawn was using it for Uni and by two years old it had 32000 on the clock.
    I took it in to get a new one and the same person offered me £9000 for it, when I stated what they told me when I bought it all they said was "things have changed". Needless to say I still have it, it's still perfect and now has 150,000 plus on the clock. I will donate it to a youngster when I run out of the need for it.

    I always buy cash for all vehicles and try to get the best deal I can but dealers aren't even fussed as they would rather sell on PCPs and get commissions from the finance companies.

    The new S1000RR looks brilliant and I am positive it will be a huge leap forward in performance, but it doesn't make the current bikes redundant. But someone who's livelihood is reliant on selling will tell you different.

    JimmyMac
    I'll keep you to that fish supper mate.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Beavis For This Useful Post:


  3. #12
    1 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER MacRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Rutland
    Riding
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Posts
    2,080
    Thanked: 667

    Re: Bike values?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Always the same, dealer tells a seller one thing and a buyer another. I paid £15500 for my 15 4 years ago come May. Mines is sitting at just over 9k miles and much as I'd love the all singing and dancing New one there's no way I'd pay ( at least ) another £9k to have it. My days of buying brand new bikes are now gone unless I have a lottery win or my long haired Fife mate is gonna treat me.
    I think the problem is also that the market for sportsbikes is shrinking all the time, you can get some serious discounts on new prices at the moment which can only depress secondhand values. I have to say I am tempted by the gen 4, although I'll need to ride one first.. but if I do I'll go or an ex demo bike at the end of the season and save some dollar.

  4. #13
    LIFETIME FORUM MEMBER JimmyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Windygates, Fife
    Riding
    HP4 Carbon Pink
    Posts
    3,329
    Thanked: 1719

    Re: Bike values?

    Quote Originally Posted by MacRR View Post
    If I do I'll go or an ex demo bike at the end of the season and save some dollar.
    The best policy MacRR, depending on the discount.

    JimmyMac

  5. #14
    Standard Member oldwobbler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NE
    Riding
    15 msport +
    Posts
    282
    Thanked: 27

    Re: Bike values?

    Not long ago cash was king. Not now - dealers like PCP as it guarantees the customer will return in 2 - 4 years.
    Or in the case of one of my mates - every 3 - 6 months!
    Punctuation - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

  6. #15
    1 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER bmwbadboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    407
    Thanked: 101

    Re: Bike values?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldwobbler View Post
    Not long ago cash was king. Not now - dealers like PCP as it guarantees the customer will return in 2 - 4 years.
    Or in the case of one of my mates - every 3 - 6 months!
    How does it work exactly?

    You get a loan for 2-4 years and at the end you just upgrade to a new model?

  7. #16
    Standard Member oldwobbler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NE
    Riding
    15 msport +
    Posts
    282
    Thanked: 27

    Re: Bike values?

    I've never done it so am probably the worst person to explain it. Other than there are a LOT of varying options. All tailored to take your cash
    Punctuation - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

  8. #17
    Forum Admin soofsayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    York
    Posts
    5,724
    Thanked: 1955

    Re: Bike values?

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwbadboy View Post
    How does it work exactly?

    You get a loan for 2-4 years and at the end you just upgrade to a new model?
    Say you buy a bike for £15k. The dealer can give you a guaranteed future value or estimate. Say that after 3 years it is £10k.

    So you need to pay the difference, plus interest on the whole amount on finance over that period. So lets say you throw in £5k, you finance £10k.

    The finance will be 36 payments of £138 (£5k divided by 36), plus the monthly interest on the whole amount outstanding. Say its at 5%, you would be paying about £35-£40 per month in interest, so total £138 + £40 = £178 pcm.

    The idea is that when you get to the end of the 3 years you give the bike back, you still owe £5k but the bike is worth £10k, so you roll the £5k equity into the next £15k bike, payments probably stay similar and you carry on.

    Upside, get an expensive bike for low monthly payments.
    Downside, you never own anything, you as basically renting and paying down the depreciation.

    You could do the same thing over 6 months, 1 year etc, just that the payments would likely be much higher due to the greater depreciation at the start of the asset cycle.
    Last edited by soofsayer; 14th January 2019 at 11:36 AM.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soofsayer For This Useful Post:


  10. #18
    2 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER DCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    239
    Thanked: 67

    Re: Bike values?

    Quote Originally Posted by soofsayer View Post
    Say you buy a bike for £15k. The dealer can give you a guaranteed future value or estimate. Say that after 3 years it is £10k.

    So you need to pay the difference, plus interest on the whole amount on finance over that period. So lets say you throw in £5k, you finance £10k.

    The finance will be 36 payments of £138 (£5k divided by 36), plus the monthly interest on the whole amount outstanding. Say its at 5%, you would be paying about £35-£40 per month in interest, so total £138 + £40 = £178 pcm.

    The idea is that when you get to the end of the 3 years you give the bike back, you still owe £5k but the bike is worth £10k, so you roll the £5k equity into the next £15k bike, payments probably stay similar and you carry on.

    Upside, get an expensive bike for low monthly payments.
    Downside, you never own anything, you as basically renting and paying down the depreciation.

    You could do the same thing over 6 months, 1 year etc, just that the payments would likely be much higher due to the greater depreciation at the start of the asset cycle.
    you can of course pay the final outstanding payment and own the bike after the 3/4years

  11. #19
    2 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER Rosso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Riding
    S1000RR, 1299 Pan
    Posts
    170
    Thanked: 108

    Re: Bike values?

    Quote Originally Posted by DCB View Post
    you can of course pay the final outstanding payment and own the bike after the 3/4years
    Indeed you can , however if you have good credit & this is your final intention , there are cheaper ways to do it. (Deposit & low interest loan... if you are prepared to chop & change a few zero interest cards, the interest amount could be minimal).

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rosso For This Useful Post:


  13. #20
    1 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER bmwbadboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    407
    Thanked: 101

    Re: Bike values?

    Quote Originally Posted by soofsayer View Post
    Say you buy a bike for £15k. The dealer can give you a guaranteed future value or estimate. Say that after 3 years it is £10k.

    So you need to pay the difference, plus interest on the whole amount on finance over that period. So lets say you throw in £5k, you finance £10k.

    The finance will be 36 payments of £138 (£5k divided by 36), plus the monthly interest on the whole amount outstanding. Say its at 5%, you would be paying about £35-£40 per month in interest, so total £138 + £40 = £178 pcm.

    The idea is that when you get to the end of the 3 years you give the bike back, you still owe £5k but the bike is worth £10k, so you roll the £5k equity into the next £15k bike, payments probably stay similar and you carry on.

    Upside, get an expensive bike for low monthly payments.
    Downside, you never own anything, you as basically renting and paying down the depreciation.

    You could do the same thing over 6 months, 1 year etc, just that the payments would likely be much higher due to the greater depreciation at the start of the asset cycle.
    Thanks for thorough explanation, that was useful.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •