Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike values?

Bike values?

Had my 17 plate, 12k mile, sport valued today at an Essex dealer. The best they can offer is £10k!
    Thatís almost £5k lost in 21months.
    I know it just after Xmas and the new ones due out soon. But the salesman told me the market was still good, just before offering that.

Anyone else got any comparable figures.
    With that loss in value buying a new bike doesnít make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riding
    2017 s1000rr

Re: Bike values?

Itís probably the mileage thatís against it Iím guessing, I paid 14k in the summer for a 67 plate with 1000 miles on it from mottorad

I agree that its a lot to drop so quickly.

Book values come from the prices recorded in the trade which determines what the dealer will then generally offer. Trying to trade in when a new model is launched will always be a bad time to trade. The market already has enough demand to push out delivery slots, so the thought of bidding over book on a trade-in when there’s a line of profitable customers already in place would be foolish. Wait until this time next year and you’ll likely get a much better deal, meaning a year of depreciation free biking in the meantime.

It was a bit of a rant!
    I knew you lose money as soon as you leave the dealer, but not so much!

I did some digging on the internet and itís not a bad price currently from a dealer.

I was only looking to swap for a new plate. Think Iíll keep it.

Riding
    KTM Superduke GT

Quote Originally Posted by preynol1 View Post

I did some digging on the internet and it’s not a bad price currently from a dealer.

I was only looking to swap for a new plate. Think I’ll keep it.

Paul, have you got a 2nd bike?

No not anymore gave both up for the BMW.

Always the same, dealer tells a seller one thing and a buyer another. I paid £15500 for my 15 4 years ago come May. Mines is sitting at just over 9k miles and much as I'd love the all singing and dancing New one there's no way I'd pay ( at least ) another £9k to have it. My days of buying brand new bikes are now gone unless I have a lottery win or my long haired Fife mate is gonna treat me.

Riding
    HP4 Carbon Pink

I can push it out to an Oban fish supper Dunc, that's about the price of a new Ducati.

Heard all the guff from dealers before too, bought a brand new Mini for £16500 in 2010 and was told if I brought it back within 3 years I would get £13500 as a trade in against a new one as long as the mileage was below 35000. Dawn was using it for Uni and by two years old it had 32000 on the clock.
    I took it in to get a new one and the same person offered me £9000 for it, when I stated what they told me when I bought it all they said was "things have changed". Needless to say I still have it, it's still perfect and now has 150,000 plus on the clock. I will donate it to a youngster when I run out of the need for it.

I always buy cash for all vehicles and try to get the best deal I can but dealers aren't even fussed as they would rather sell on PCPs and get commissions from the finance companies.

The new S1000RR looks brilliant and I am positive it will be a huge leap forward in performance, but it doesn't make the current bikes redundant. But someone who's livelihood is reliant on selling will tell you different.

JimmyMac

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
    I can push it out to an Oban fish supper Dunc, that's about the price of a new Ducati.

Heard all the guff from dealers before too, bought a brand new Mini for £16500 in 2010 and was told if I brought it back within 3 years I would get £13500 as a trade in against a new one as long as the mileage was below 35000. Dawn was using it for Uni and by two years old it had 32000 on the clock.
    I took it in to get a new one and the same person offered me £9000 for it, when I stated what they told me when I bought it all they said was "things have changed". Needless to say I still have it, it's still perfect and now has 150,000 plus on the clock. I will donate it to a youngster when I run out of the need for it.

I always buy cash for all vehicles and try to get the best deal I can but dealers aren't even fussed as they would rather sell on PCPs and get commissions from the finance companies.

The new S1000RR looks brilliant and I am positive it will be a huge leap forward in performance, but it doesn't make the current bikes redundant. But someone who's livelihood is reliant on selling will tell you different.

JimmyMac
    I'll keep you to that fish supper mate.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Beavis For This Useful Post:

Riding
    KTM 1290 SDR

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Always the same, dealer tells a seller one thing and a buyer another. I paid £15500 for my 15 4 years ago come May. Mines is sitting at just over 9k miles and much as I'd love the all singing and dancing New one there's no way I'd pay ( at least ) another £9k to have it. My days of buying brand new bikes are now gone unless I have a lottery win or my long haired Fife mate is gonna treat me.
    I think the problem is also that the market for sportsbikes is shrinking all the time, you can get some serious discounts on new prices at the moment which can only depress secondhand values. I have to say I am tempted by the gen 4, although I'll need to ride one first.. but if I do I'll go or an ex demo bike at the end of the season and save some dollar.