Cam position sensor

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handbag

Reaction score
Hi all, trying to fit a cam position sensor on Gen3. The sensor is correct for the bike but for some unknown reason the sensor will not go all the way into position. It appears the end of the sensor is touching something inside the engine stopping it locate in the correct position. What am I doing wrong?

Hi, as per the forum rules we do require new members to say hello in the Welcome Section - it's a nice way to join the community :) If you could spare a few moments to create a thread in there in the spirit of introducing yourself it would be much appreciated!

Can I have the part number of sensor you're trying to fit? I'd like to look it up, and see if there are alternatives which may explain your difficulties. From the sounds of it the sensor is too long and not seating right?

Hi there the part number is 8523317 or259600720. Your right it's like the sensor is too long and is hitting something internally and the lug on the sensor won't fit flush with the casing. It's a 17 plate gen 3

Have you compared the new sensor with the old one to see if they?re the same size?

Sometimes dry seals can make sensors difficult to fit, if it is the same size rub some engine oil on the seal before fitting.

With the o ring off the fit is loose so when I have tried it it still won't fit flush to the crank case, either the sensor is too long or incorrect or I need to push something back internally within the motor or user incompetence......

With the o ring off the fit is loose so when I have tried it it still won't fit flush to the crank case, either the sensor is too long or incorrect or I need to push something back internally within the motor or user incompetence......

There should be nothing internal to move. It shouldn?t make contact with any components.

Was the old one physically damaged when you took it out?

I have two o rings one is green and slightly larger than a smaller OD black one. Not sure what the sensor is measuring and how it measures it, should it but up against something internally. So many questions sorry

The bike came with a very small oil leak on the bolt that holds the sensor in place and what I can only describe as some black sealant around the sensor. I have cleaned up the casing, removed the sensor to refit but it doesn't want to go all the way in even with o rings off?

Ok so ordered a new sensor and o ring just to be safe, has anyone on the forum fitted one before? Can I wiggle it in with the rad still in situ or do I need rad off and push the sensor in with a bit of force? All advice welcome

Sounds like you are trying to fit a gen 2 sensor to a gen 3 head.

Weird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Alex thanks for you help so far, new to the forum so how would I get in touch with @stephen

If you?ve ordered a new sensor then your best bet is to wait for it to arrive and see if it?s the same as the one you already have?

The only resistance you should encounter fitting a cam sensor is from the oring.

Thanks Stephen, can it be fitted with the rad still on eg reaching in and pushing it in. This is what I tried with the last one but it wasn't quite flush with the casings so when I tightened it up it snapped the lug off the sensor. Also the o ring looks about 3"" and is green feels like a real tight fit even though I greased it all up before attempting to fit. Not sure if you have fitted one before but it's almost like it need something to push it in with rather than just by hand or take rad off completely and push it in. All sensor looks right and the o ring too but again seems like a tight fit. Am after a view from someone that has fitted on before to either confirm or deny the struggle I'm having

So on the part list there are images of two position sensors does anyone have any ideas which one is the correct version.....

imagegif

Latest posts

Back