DTC Issues After Changing Gearing and Tyre Size

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gobert

Reaction score
I'm looking at using my 2016 S1000RR on both the road and track. As part of this I would like to be able to use a 200 section rear tyre purely because of the choice of slicks and to lower the gearing - probably down to a 16 tooth sprocket at the front.

From some posts I've read this might have an effect on the DTC function and I'm keen to keep it working as near to stock as possible - is purchasing the ECU unlock code and getting the gearing and tyre size parameters changed to 200 (tyre) and 16 (gearing) going to be enough?

Tyre Size

If your bike came fitted with HP forged wheels as standard then the DTC will be calibrated for a 200 rear profile tyre. From experience using 200/60, 200/55 and 190/60 race tyres I never had any issues with traction control.

However, if your bike was supplied with OEM cast wheels it will calibrated for a 190 rear tyre and some owners have had issues with DTC when changing tyre sizes. Your local BMW dealership can simply recalibrate the DTC for you in order to avoid this problem. It only takes a couple of minutes to do and costs very little.

Changing gearing has absolutely no impact on DTC whatsoever nor do you need to worry about making changes to the ECU.

Re: Tyre Size

I'd seen a psot on one of the FB S1000RR groups where someone had said changing the gearing meant the DTC came in too early?

Mine has the cast wheels so will be set up for a 190 - from what I've read changing the settings to a 200 would mean that I could use basically any 190 / 200 tyre with out issue.

Thanks for the clarification as I know you spent time developing your previous bike.

Gearing

I used to change gearing fairly frequently and never had any issues with DTC.

Dtc is off the abs ring, so not gearing related.
Pretty sure you'll be fine.

I have stuck all sorts on mine and there were no dramas.

I think the larger tyre delays TC acting so if in Slick mode or User you might add some.

I think I have been using User, Race -3...or user Slick -3.

- Alex

Thanks - I'll get a dealer to change the rear tyre setting to 200, fit a 16 tooth front and go from there.

Thanks - I'll get a dealer to change the rear tyre setting to 200, fit a 16 tooth front and go from there.
16/43 needs 118 links as opposed to 120 gen3 oem. ~600-604mm wheelbase (17/45 is 604mm afaik)

16/45 on 120 is long in the wheelbase 608+, makes is stable though. 118links makes it far too short ~590mm

Shorter the wheelbase the more lively it can be...

BSB largly use 16/43 w118. +/- 1 rear tooth as the circuit needs. They tend to use gears 2-5 only.

- Alex

16/43 needs 118 links as opposed to 120 gen3 oem. ~600-604mm wheelbase (17/45 is 604mm afaik)

16/45 on 120 is long in the wheelbase 608+, makes is stable though. 118links makes it far too short ~590mm

Shorter the wheelbase the more lively it can be...

BSB largly use 16/43 w118. +/- 1 rear tooth as the circuit needs. They tend to use gears 2-5 only.

- Alex

Are those measurements from the centre of the swingarm pivot to the centre of the rear axle?

The 200 60 slick is a big tyre.
I ran it on my zx10r and noticed a real difference from the 55.
Its got alot bigger circumfrance than the standard tyre.
That highers the gearing so less chance of wheel spin so id say you could just back off the dtc to compensate
The other factor is if you run the 60 you will be changing the anti squat by altering swing arm angle.
Plus reducing rake and trail a small amount at the front.

Back