New member from the United States

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomTJ85

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am Tom from Atlanta, GA (United States). I see that this is a UK-based forum, yet I believe this is the best forum I managed to find when I was looking for one to register.
My S1000RR is new to me, as I picked it up from the previous owner in September. Since then, I had a chance to ride it several times, until it got too cold here in Georgia. I do not ride a lot in winter, but when I realize that I missed my bike, I take it out and ride. So far, my BMW is not ready for winter (I'll need a pair of heated gloves or grips, I haven't decided what's better yet, and certain other things).
Nice to meet you!
Tom.

Wanted to share the pictures of my ride with you folks but seems like the posts with the attachments thought Tiny Pic do not go through.
I will see when the regular attachment function becomes active for my account and will try again later.
Cheers.

Hi Tom, we can see the attachments on the Desktop browser. Clean looking, in motorsport colours.

Appreciate the vote of confidence on where we're doing here on this forum.

Enjoy your ride!

Hey Alex,
I appreciate the qwarm welcome and good words about my new ride J

What do the temps get down to in Georgia over winter? Do they salt the roads heavily? (Its the sump and sump bolt you need to watch for corrosion.)

I've only been to Savannah...but it's pretty far south so would have thought it wasn't so low?

Last edited:
Now it's 39 F, foggy and nasty. Sometimes it snows, but not too much. In Atlanta they use not only salt, but also chemicals to melt ice, as a result running boards on my Tundra do not last long... And that kind of weather is pretty much the reason why I do not ride a lot in winter. For me, it's no fun to ride when it's cold and roads are dirty.

I do business in Atlanta from time to time. I've been known to take a cab a couple of blocks, just to avoid walking in the heat...which I probably would not want to ride in either, come to think of it - too hot with all that leather.... clearly shows that I've always been there in the warmer weather!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard..I'm a member on the US site also.. it's great to have different views on the same subject..

Welcome from Scotland..

Stu..

Stuart's Galaxy sent this !

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the site! Your bike looks nice in the profile pic.

I second what Alex says about the sump being liable to corrode if on salty roadsand not protected/cleaned carefully. I had my sump replaced on a 3 year oldbike due to corrosion.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Tom and congratulations on your new RR, looks fantastic!

As Alex says, thank you for the positive feedback towards the forum, I hope you enjoy using the site, learn more about your new steed and make some new friends along the way [emoji4]

With regard to heated grips vs heated gloves. Heated gloves are ultimately more effective at keeping your hands warm, though in my experience less reliable, less versatile and considerably more of a ?faff?.

I echo what Alex and FlyingScotsman says re keeping an eye on the sump and sump plug. ACF-50 is always a good idea.

What is your ridding history?

- Oli

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I appreciate the warm welcome! As for the grips vs gloves, I believe I will start with the gloves, as they are guaranteed not to throw errors or cause short circuits haha
Next, I might move towards the heated grips... At least that kind of approach looks reasonable to me as it does not involve any kind of interfering into the bike electrical system (even though this may sound noob haha).
Cheers!

I decided not to create a separate tread to ask you folks something, while I have you here. I was wondering whether this is a good idea to install a pair of handguards for winter?
I was looking at Acerbis universal kit, as I do not seem to find anything specifically listed for my ride.
https://www.motorcycleid.com/images/acerbis/items/pdf/225023-instruction-sheet.pdf
What do you folks think of this? Is it just waste or a good upgrade for winter?

If they clear the fairing at full lock you're all good. No one likes cold hands, you'll get the heated grips next time I'd wager.

- Alex

I decided not to create a separate tread to ask you folks something, while I have you here. I was wondering whether this is a good idea to install a pair of handguards for winter?
I was looking at Acerbis universal kit, as I do not seem to find anything specifically listed for my ride.
https://www.motorcycleid.com/images/acerbis/items/pdf/225023-instruction-sheet.pdf
What do you folks think of this? Is it just waste or a good upgrade for winter?

Personally I wouldn?t recommend hand guards for a road bike, they are intended for use on enduro/MX and ADV bikes to protect your hands from branches and roost etc.
I do not suspect they will make a significant improvement keeping your hands warm and you may encounter issues using bar end weights.
If you proceed with heated gloves, your hands will never be cold

- Oli

Last edited:
Hey folks, thanks for replying. Actually I was thinking of the heated gloves first. Compared to the heated grips, they will not throw any kind of errors for sure...
But I wanted to get hand guards for time, when I will not be using gloves, that's why decided to ask you folks prior to buying anything....

Back