Buying a Gen3 approved used?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HongKongPhooey

Reaction score
Hi All,

Been a while since I?ve visited and am looking to return to the fold. I?m after a gen 3 and have been pointed/found one for sale at a Motorrad dealer.

It?s a 2017 Sport in grey in immaculate condition, the guys just sent me the walkaround video. It?s up at ?9995! But it?s mileage is 12000 ish. It does however come with a 24 month BMW extended warranty, tax, breakdown etc. but here?s the kicker. When I said it?ll spend a lot of it?s life trackdaying as I don?t do much on the road with three little ones in the house, he said that they very rarely, if at all approve warranty claims if it?s on a track day/been tracked.

Having had an early S1000RR let go on me, I?m a little apprehensive about the mileage without any warranty. Have you heard anything like this before, surely they should honour a warranty claim if it?s had a bit of track use?

There?s an identical one for sale on here with a lot lower miles, but more money. Are the gen 3 reliable now they?ve had time to iron out the faults?

Cheers

Jay.

Hi Jay,

With regard to the warranty, I would be surprised if any issues were to arise as a result of a track day.
Point 6 of the warranty guidelines states that the policy ?does not extend to racing, rallying of similar competitive sports?. As track days are not competitive, nor are they a sport, I can?t see how BMW could reject a warranty claim.
My 15 model?s discs warped after a track day and they were replaced under warranty.

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/cont...uk/legal/warranty.pdf.asset.1536068924116.pdf

- Oli

Hi Jay,

With regard to the warranty, I would be surprised if any issues were to arise as a result of a track day.
Point 6 of the warranty guidelines states that the policy “does not extend to racing, rallying of similar competitive sports”. As track days are not competitive, nor are they a sport, I can’t see how BMW could reject a warranty claim.
My 15 model’s discs warped after a track day and they were replaced under warranty.

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/cont...uk/legal/warranty.pdf.asset.1536068924116.pdf

- Oli

Hi Oli,

That’s good to know, thanks for the insight, glad to hear they sorted your issue too!

Cheers

Jay.

Hi All,

Been a while since I?ve visited and am looking to return to the fold. I?m after a gen 3 and have been pointed/found one for sale at a Motorrad dealer.

It?s a 2017 Sport in grey in immaculate condition, the guys just sent me the walkaround video. It?s up at ?9995! But it?s mileage is 12000 ish. It does however come with a 24 month BMW extended warranty, tax, breakdown etc. but here?s the kicker. When I said it?ll spend a lot of it?s life trackdaying as I don?t do much on the road with three little ones in the house, he said that they very rarely, if at all approve warranty claims if it?s on a track day/been tracked.

Having had an early S1000RR let go on me, I?m a little apprehensive about the mileage without any warranty. Have you heard anything like this before, surely they should honour a warranty claim if it?s had a bit of track use?

There?s an identical one for sale on here with a lot lower miles, but more money. Are the gen 3 reliable now they?ve had time to iron out the faults?

Cheers

Jay.

That seems a really cheap bike for a 17 plate especially as it has a two year BMW warranty! I?m no expert but how would they know if it had been tracked and it seems a bit unreasonable to refuse a warranty claim based on using the bike for what it is designed for, like Oli said you are not racing it etc.

In my opinion the two year BMW used warranty would help with piece of mind and if you do mostly track it then you won?t be putting too many extra miles on it in a year.

I personally would want to see the bike in the flesh as them videos don?t really show everything and at that price I would be thinking why is it so cheap, if it is a straight bike I doubt it will be there long before it?s snapped up.

Yeah I thought so too, but it’s an approved used BMW from a Motorrad dealer, so how bad can it be? I totally understand what you say about seeing it in the flesh, but the walk around was done inside and it looked pretty good to me, not dark or wet, looked good. My only problem is I’m on the IOM, so if I go see it and it’s shite, I’ve done a lot of money for nothing. I’ve another two I’m considering that are private and really clean. They’re 1000 and 1500 more respectively, so I might just bite the bullet and make one trip! Over a few years it’s not much to worry about and I can extend the warranty too.

My 2017 is on 7600miles, most of them on track. No warranty worries.

Dealer fitted half the mods...

- Alex

Track Use

From new my 2015 S1000RR was only ever used on track and I never had any issues with it. As a trackday or race bike they are incredibly robust.

Yeah I thought so too, but it?s an approved used BMW from a Motorrad dealer, so how bad can it be? I totally understand what you say about seeing it in the flesh, but the walk around was done inside and it looked pretty good to me, not dark or wet, looked good. My only problem is I?m on the IOM, so if I go see it and it?s shite, I?ve done a lot of money for nothing. I?ve another two I?m considering that are private and really clean. They?re 1000 and 1500 more respectively, so I might just bite the bullet and make one trip! Over a few years it?s not much to worry about and I can extend the warranty too.

I personally would go with BMW dealers to buy any BMW bike as they have that two year warranty for piece of mind and my experience the independent dealers or private sales are wanting similar money with out the back up you have from Motorrad.

Back