Anyone own a BMW car with manual gearboxr?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Provisionally bought my own Xmas pressie today, a newish 4 series M Sport with 10k miles.

Why provisional? On the test drive I noticed that if I held the gear stick whilst the car was moving that there was a clear feeling of mechanical 'activity', i.e. there was vibration through the stick. Compared to the drive home in my 10 yr old Ford I could hold the stick and barely feel anything at all, barely knew the car was running in any gear. I have asked for the mechanics to take a very close look at it, I should really have asked to drive another manual BMW to see if that was the same... might yet do that, but finding the time will be a challenge.

So, anyone with manual BMW, what do you feel if you hold the gears stick when driving along, is my description normal?

Cheers

Rick

I've got a 2017 M2 manual and feel some vibration. It's more than likely due to stiffer mounts than the ford (depending on the model). Certainly not something I'd be worried about....

I'd say it's a bushing difference mate to be honest. Plus the gearbox/engine layout is completely different remember.

Fair enough. I drive hire cars all the time when travelling for work, but that's abroad and they're always automatics. Just hit me today how few manual drive cars I've actually driven in last few years, and all of them are Ford/Vauxhall hatchbacks, so quite different from the new toy.... Was just kacking myself a bit in case I'd bought a lemon...feeling better now.

As above replies, it would not be a concern for me. As long as changes are crisp then it should be good.

Last edited:
Back