Dunlop D212 GP Racer?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePeps

Reaction score
Anyone used these on their bike?
Got chatting to a bloke from Dunlop at the NEC and he said (obviously!) that these should be the tyres for me. I do a little bit of road riding and aiming more at track but he said I'm probably not quick enough for slicks just yet?

I have had my gen1 for 3 years and had 1 set of BT016's, 2 sets of Diablo Rosso Corsa's and currently on a set of M7RR's. I was planning on going to Supercorsa's but he said the Dunlops will have the same levels of grip but a much better wear rate and slower drop off as they get worn, anyone have experience?

I swear by them at inter/fast pace.

D212 Racer's come in cut and slick options... there's no compound difference.
The cut ones are DOT legal.
They are a sunny day tyre. Below 10degrees I wouldn't go there...not sure I'd scrub a set in without warmers on anything less than a *hot* day. With warmers, you've the best intermediate/fast choice imo. Easy to keep warm, great turning from the profile, good life. Use the M front and E rear compounds. They retain heat better, last longer...and at inters pace they don't want for grip.

The 212's transformed the front end for me. Brilliant track tyre they also have great drive grip. I swear the V02's couldn't get the power down as well at Portimao.

If you want a tyre to ride to and from the track on, there is a TT model which would be my choice for a road/track Dunlop. Without warmers. https://www.dunlop.eu/en_gb/motorcycle/why-dunlop/sportsmart-tt---dunlop.html

- Alex

Last edited:
Perfect thanks mate, great post.
I have warmers and this set will be scrubbed in / used at Almeria in March so hopefully be warm enough for them. I will do a little bit of road riding, but under 1k miles a year and more than likely only when it's nice, no fun in the cold / wet for me. When you say DOT legal do you mean road legal? Or are they not?

I'm on the brink of fast pace currently, done a few days in the fast group this year and not been the slowest in each, and have a lot of improvement in me yet before I hit a wall!

Yes road legal.
V02'S are about the same cost so consider them too.

FE do good deals on Dunlop and they work well on the Beemer so it's easy to go with them.

- Alex

Yes road legal.
V02'S are about the same cost so consider them too.

FE do good deals on Dunlop and they work well on the Beemer so it's easy to go with them.

- Alex

Focused Events?
I was going to take loose tyres with me as wasn't sure how easy it would be over there?

I am a big fan of Dunlop and I have experience of all their race tyres. The only tyre I have not tried is the 212 Gp Race:eek:. From my experience the Dunlop track tyres have more track life and more traction while leaned. In the other hand they have stiff carcass and they use lower track pressures and that is something you need to get used to. The KR slicks with correct pressure/carcass and a driver that can push them enough to keep their temp high are really a dream to ride harder and harder!!!

All Dunlops are easily the best tyre out there if the conditions are reasonable, and a no brainer for anything in Europe where it's almost always warmer. They don't really drop off much at all even when completely worn down whereas Pirellis will do half a day and then drop off a cliff in performance. The only place the Dunlops dip out for UK riders are that they are more temperature sensitive so you have to be careful if it's cold, whereas Pirelli, etc are particularly good in this area.

Dunlop

I've personally always preferred Metzeler and Bridgestone race tyres. I've crashed more times than I care to remember using Dunlop tyres on track.

Yours does seem to be a fairly unique experience, Ryan.

Here's an example of the offers from FE.
Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 09.56.46.jpg

All Dunlops are easily the best tyre out there if the conditions are reasonable, and a no brainer for anything in Europe where it's almost always warmer. They don't really drop off much at all even when completely worn down whereas Pirellis will do half a day and then drop off a cliff in performance. The only place the Dunlops dip out for UK riders are that they are more temperature sensitive so you have to be careful if it's cold, whereas Pirelli, etc are particularly good in this area.

I agree 100% with this. Nothing wrong with them, if you are too slow to keep heat in them you will probably crash more times than you can remember lol.

Last edited:
I agree 100% with this. Nothing wrong with them, if you are too slow to keep heat in them you will probably crash more times than you can remember lol.
I'm slow and have no issues with the gp pros. From all accounts the gp racers have a wider operating temp range. I have just sold my r1 track bike the day I got back from cartagena 2 weeks ago so next yr the bm will be going on track. Be interesting to see how it compares

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm slow and have no issues with the gp pros. From all accounts the gp racers have a wider operating temp range. I have just sold my r1 track bike the day I got back from cartagena 2 weeks ago so next yr the bm will be going on track. Be interesting to see how it compares

I've wondered about the GP Pro's - really not sure what the diff is, I've run around on used KR106/108's before (squaring them off no doubt)...so these should be between Racers and the KR's, yeah?

I've wondered about the GP Pro's - really not sure what the diff is, I've run around on used KR106/108's before (squaring them off no doubt)...so these should be between Racers and the KR's, yeah?
Yes that's what I believe

I have a front gp212 which has only done 8 laps of Cadwell which still has the dimples on for sale if ur interested
?50 delivered

That's my experience as well.

Dunlop also very sensitive to suspension setup.

Back