2017 Headers question

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GixxerChuck

Forum Vendor
Reaction score
I've got the Akra gp style can with the 2 pipes. Akra headers are 730 Arrow headers are 666. Will it make a difference which ones I go for?
insurance have said ok as long as power increase is less than 10%. Fairly sure headers won't get me 20 bhp extra :dejection:

Exhaust Headers

I would personally never mix exhaust brands especially for the sake of not much money. Whilst any power differences between them will only be marginal at best, Akrapovic will have done the R&D to match the two products to achieve optimum exhaust flow. That and you know you will have absolutely no compatibility issues whatsoever. As for insurance you are highly unlikely to see a 10% increase in power as the OEM exhaust system is extremely good. At most you will see a small increase in both bhp and torque figures especially with good mapping. The main advantage is the reduction in weight.

The stock headers are a big old lump, definitely a good move!

I am in the same position but worried about the noise level. I don't think the GP can provides much in the way of silencing.

It's not so bad because you can use a baffle with the race systems. I dont have any figures to support that at the moment but my race system sounds pretty quiet still compared to my Panigale.

Akrapovič

The only issue with the Akrapovič GP style exhaust is that it has a mesh over the exit so you can?t fit a baffle. Fitted with standard OEM headers it will past trackday noise testing. With optional aftermarket headers it maybe somewhat louder. Akrapovič race systems which are supplied with either traditional or tapered exhausts can be fitted with a baffle and will usually pass noise testing without issue.

I've thought about this as I have the Akra GP and I agree the noise would be a major concern for me with it being such a stubby exhaust and with no baffle available. It would be interesting to see if anyone has this combination who could give feedback?

I would personally never mix exhaust brands especially for the sake of not much money. Whilst any power differences between them will only be marginal at best, Akrapovic will have done the R&D to match the two products to achieve optimum exhaust flow. That and you know you will have absolutely no compatibility issues whatsoever.

Fair point but it?s for the road. Big advantage for me is noise. Central London you need to be heard!
As for insurance you are highly unlikely to see a 10% increase in power as the OEM exhaust system is extremely good. At most you will see a small increase in both bhp and torque figures especially with good mapping. The main advantage is the reduction in weight.
Made me laugh that they asked the question. To get 20 extra bhp would need a retune!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Next question. Is a power commander a necessity with a decat, or just advisable?

Next question. Is a power commander a necessity with a decat, or just advisable?

It is advisable to always check fuelling on a dyno after a significant exhaust change, though a fuel module is not always ?necessary?.

On my 15 RR with the Akrapovic Evolution system, it was not necessary to use a fuel module, however it did improve the fuelling, particularly in the upper RPM range.

I do not personally know how the Euro4 generation bikes fair with exhaust changes, though the closed-loop stock ECU?s do have a large capacity to adapt

- Oli

Back