Is my DDC even working?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im wondering of theres someone who can turn off ddc and just give manual like adjustments using the standard internals?
I have a spare set of ddc internals and i now have 4 rear shocks lol. Dont ask!! But i have some to play with.

so how would you adjust them? take them apart to get to the internals everytime?

if your doing that,why not just buy a cartridge kit,problem solved.

Its too expensive and if you google it some are not lasting long at all

Scooby No i mean adjust them in the dash for compression and rebound as a normal fork without the ddc semi active side of it

Boomaz I'll just go check the money tree down the garden but not holding out much hope as there was nothing there last time i looked lol.
Too many commitments at mo to fork out that much.
Plus im an engineer. I love to know how things work and try make solutions. Its all part of the fun for me

Scooby No i mean adjust them in the dash for compression and rebound as a normal fork without the ddc semi active side of it

so you mean adjust to a setting,then disconnect the wiring so they aren't active? guess it's all down to how they are designed to work.beyond my skills though that.

why not spend ?275 on a 2nd hand front pot?,to close this thread i'll sell you mine!!:glee:

2D Potentiometer

Its too expensive and if you google it some are not lasting long at all

I never had any issues with my 2D sensor after countless trackdays over three full seasons. They are a hugely worthwhile investment and being able to seperate the front compression and rebound pays dividends when using DDC on track.

I just tried something a bit different.
It came to me that the front is only getting signals from the rear sensor as standard.
So i just put the bike on side stand and lifted the back end up a bit so it took a bit of the static sag off and recalibrated the ddc.
Took some preload off the shock and set compression a couple less than before.
My thinking is the rear shock will be riding lower in the stroke so the ddc will compensate for that extra weight it believes its carrying by stiffening up the front.
Just went for quick 10miles blast and unless im imagining things it felt pretty good.
Its still sprung a bit soft at the front but the damping felt ok.
Obviously with weather as it is i cant really push the bike to see how it handles but its giving me hope again

i dont,but are you saying you calibrated the suspension whilst leaning the bike over on it's side stand or did i misread that?

Yes. I calibrated the static ddc height by cheating the ddc to think the bike is higher in the stroke than it actually is.
So when im sitting on the bike the ddc thinks its got more weight on it than it actually has.
As noone seems to know how the ddc actually works im doing experiments to see if anything makes a difference.
Previously i had the rear set hard so the sag was not much.
But the front felt soft which made me think maybe the fronts soft because the rear hasnt moved much in its stroke.
Like its being fed info from the rear that minimal damping is needed.
I need to do more miles but it seemed like the front was firmer that usual today so i may have a found the solution.
For me i still think the front needs slightly stronger springs.

Yes. I calibrated the static ddc height by cheating the ddc to think the bike is higher in the stroke than it actually is.
So when im sitting on the bike the ddc thinks its got more weight on it than it actually has.
As noone seems to know how the ddc actually works im doing experiments to see if anything makes a difference.
Previously i had the rear set hard so the sag was not much.
But the front felt soft which made me think maybe the fronts soft because the rear hasnt moved much in its stroke.
Like its being fed info from the rear that minimal damping is needed.
I need to do more miles but it seemed like the front was firmer that usual today so i may have a found the solution.
For me i still think the front needs slightly stronger springs.

how can you claim that no one knows how ddc works without even asking people around ?

Try to reach out to Dave Moss, he has been setting up BMW with ddc. He helped me a lot.

Last edited:
Lol thanks. I will hold you to that.
I had all the same response over on the zx10 forums when i said i wanted to sort a few things out with the zx10s.
I ended up designing and machining uprated damper valves and suspension linkages and selling loads of them worldwide.
Not to mention all the other cheap mods that people were sceptical about.
Who knows i might end up doing simular with the bmw.
Ive got a few in mind....

Well ive been asking and researching the net but all i think i can get is a half decent setup by taking it to a suspension tuners and getting them to work on it.
Im wanting to know how it works as in what are the perameters that operate the front.
Does adjusting the rear actually alter the front electronically.
I think if you buy a bmw you should be able to know these things it if you want to.
I know the money no issue option is ktech front and back for example but i really do like the adjustments in the dash feature.
Its ideal to change the suspension on the fly.
Its just for me the front is a weak point.
Even dave moss said this about the bmws.
Rears not bad but fronts under damped and undersprung.

I do get your point.

What's the point of asking on this forum for 3 months ?

Hence I wrote, speak to Dave Moss.

Last edited:
if i win the lottery im gonna buy you a cartidge kit n shock seriously.

i've given up,there are times when it's pointless trying to offer help+advice when they dont even start from the basic set up,setting sag etc.

Lol thanks. I will hold you to that.
I had all the same response over on the zx10 forums when i said i wanted to sort a few things out with the zx10s.
I ended up designing and machining uprated damper valves and suspension linkages and selling loads of them worldwide.
Not to mention all the other cheap mods that people were sceptical about.
Who knows i might end up doing simular with the bmw.
Ive got a few in mind....

if your that mechanically/engineering competent,as you also design+manufacture steering dampers,just strip the things down,look how they work and use your obvious abundant skills and alter them to suit yourself.machine your self some adjustable offset yokes,swingarm pivots and top shock mount,that should keep your keen mind busy for a while.

DDC Suspension

i've given up,there are times when it's pointless trying to offer help+advice when they dont even start from the basic set up,setting sag etc.

+1. Sadly, I?m of the same opinion.

Back