Is my DDC even working?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What?s the wear like on your front tyre? I?ve had vague feelings from front when tipping in on tyres which had lost there profile. Went as soon as I replaced the tyre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What?s the wear like on your front tyre? I?ve had vague feelings from front when tipping in on tyres which had lost there profile. Went as soon as I replaced the tyre.

Tyres like new.

sounds like your masking a problem the wrong way to me.
why dont you just go get it looked at by someone that knows rather than second guessing what it is or isn't doing,and then covering over the issue in a way that totally ruins the feel of the bike,wonding up the steering damper certainly isn't a solution to vague front end feel
Its all about time
I dont get spare time.
I only get the odd hour here and there recently so no time to do anything at the mo.
Funny thing is winding up the damper has removed alot of the odd feelings i was getting with the front so left me with better feedback.
I actually had quite a good time on it yesterday which is the first time since ive owned it. I will play it by ear and if it goes vague again i will get it looked at. I still feel the front isnt firm enough for me and my riding style.
Its like they trying to make it comfortable which to most people is important.
To me its not. I want the feedback and the performance over comfort for the few miles i do each year.
I need stronger springs to start with

Steering damper is purely to aid possible headshake. If you have it on more than 5 or 6 then it's either a set up problem or rider problem. On track I have it at 2 or 3.

Steering damper is purely to aid possible headshake. If you have it on more than 5 or 6 then it's either a set up problem or rider problem. On track I have it at 2 or 3.
I often get told theres a rider problem!
But that talking usually stops on track lol.
As for damper they can also provide stability and change the feeling of the front end.
I make the upgrade valves for the esd fitted to zx10rs. Ive sold loads all round the world with great feedback because they not just stop head shakes but also provide a more stable feeling in all areas. I never occoured to me the damper was the issue with the s1000rr because as standard the damper is quite strong compared to others ive had.
But with the geometry of the s1000 being more unstable i suppose it needs more than the most.
I had alot of critisism when making the valves from people saying things like it could remove feel and makes it harder to turn if you increase the damping but i spent time developing different rates until i got it bang on for the zx10rs.

so you have a fair understanding of how a damper works,more than most it would appear if you design+build them,but you cant figure out if your forks are working or not?

surely,as someone that builds dampers/valving you must know how important it is to have the correct settings,springs,oil weight,air gap etc but due to time constraints wont get your own sorted?

whip em' out,send them off get them sorted,turn ypour damper back down and go enjoy the bike for what it is and what it can do rather than "making do" and masking the issues.

so you have a fair understanding of how a damper works,more than most it would appear if you design+build them,but you cant figure out if your forks are working or not?

surely,as someone that builds dampers/valving you must know how important it is to have the correct settings,springs,oil weight,air gap etc but due to time constraints wont get your own sorted?

whip em' out,send them off get them sorted,turn ypour damper back down and go enjoy the bike for what it is and what it can do rather than "making do" and masking the issues.
I have no idea how the ddc actually works. Hence why i come on here to try find out.
Thanks for your advice i will take it on board

I do love suspension it?s a true black art subject where no one is truly right or wrong! With a key out put of how it feels to an individual how can it be.
Bit like a woman.....but don?t tell the wife I?m thinking about rebound damping.....

Went to MCT yesterday. Darren put two new lower rated springs in as i am 65kg heading towards 66kg for xmas . He also adjusted my steering damper at the same time. The bike definitely felt more agile and inspired more confidence. The weather conditions and lack of different road surfaces its difficult to say how much better it is but now i have peace of mind its setup correctly for me and to adjust for a softer ride if i wush i can do it electronically. MCT did say that DDC is more hype than actually benefit and given the budget for a road bike its ok but he was not a fan. He was more complementary on the Ducati system though. My view its a brilliant bike and now its even better.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Went to MCT yesterday. Darren put two new lower rated springs in as i am 65kg heading towards 66kg for xmas . He also adjusted my steering damper at the same time. The bike definitely felt more agile and inspired more confidence. The weather conditions and lack of different road surfaces its difficult to say how much better it is but now i have peace of mind its setup correctly for me and to adjust for a softer ride if i wush i can do it electronically. MCT did say that DDC is more hype than actually benefit and given the budget for a road bike its ok but he was not a fan. He was more complementary on the Ducati system though. My view its a brilliant bike and now its even better.

Im about 100kg kitted. That may be why i feel the front is soft.
Can i ask how much it costs to do the fork spring change and how long did he spend on it? Did you wait with him or just leave your bike there

Im about 100kg kitted. That may be why i feel the front is soft.
Can i ask how much it costs to do the fork spring change and how long did he spend on it? Did you wait with him or just leave your bike there
Its a morning, roll in roll out is <?350 inc parts labour vat

- Alex

Last edited:
I stayed and watched . Cost ?321 changed front springs and oil and setup bike. Also adjusted my damper . Then he setup the preload and compression and rebound. He did it all by feel.

When I hear people say the DDC is mostly hype I'm sure they have not used the Gen3 bike for any length of time. I complain about the front feel on track but the system as a whole is definitely plenty good enough right up to at least mid table clubman level racing in my opinion. Much more importantly it is way better than traditional suspension on the road where the surface is changing all the time. I did think the Ducati 1299 system was better on track but it was not noticeably better on the road dealing with variable surfaces which is what it's really for. You dont really need active suspension on track where the surface is almost always smooth but you definitely benefit massively using on the road.

Last edited:
When I hear people say the DDC is mostly hype I'm sure they have not used the Gen3 bike for any length of time. I complain about the front feel on track but the system as a whole is definitely plenty good enough right up to at least mid table clubman level racing in my opinion. Much more importantly it is way better than traditional suspension on the road where the surface is changing all the time. I did think the Ducati 1299 system was better on track but it was not noticeably better on the road dealing with variable surfaces which is what it's really for. You dont really need active suspension on track where the surface is almost always smooth but you definitely benefit massively using on the road.
Well this is some of the problem. I usually run some pretty quick lap times that would be good enough to race but im quite heavy so i find it difficult to maintain the pace.
In the past ive discovered if the suspension is too soft the damping overheats and my pace drops off dramatically. Since i got the bmw i noticed aa soon as i start pushing the front it gets vague and i cant even get the confidence on the road so not expecting it to be better on track.
So im wanting to try firmer springs and a slightly thicker oil grade to see if that creates more feel.
Finding the time to do this is not going well though lol
maybe next year...

simple solution put a cartridge kit in front and shock on rear problem solved when you say quick lap times what you on about? times wise
On my 2015 zx10r road bike i did 1.59 at snett and 1.34 brands gp. Cant remember the other times off the top of my head

Plus cartridge kit cost wedge that i dont have spare.
Obviously it would be the way to go if i had the spare cash.

Good pace.
Its not bad but i always felt i could go quicker but i was loosing on corner exit so i decided to get the s1000rr as its better on corner exit but mines not as good on corner entry so probably no better off at present

at our general level,corner entry+exit has nothing (really) to do with the bike,it's the rider.obviously it helps if you actually get your bike set up properly.....

at our general level,corner entry+exit has nothing (really) to do with the bike,it's the rider.obviously it helps if you actually get your bike set up properly.....
Not sure i agree with that.

Back