locking tab for front sprocket

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMD6319

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. I know i don't have much mechanical knowledge, but i know i need to install the locking washer on the front sprocket. My problem is, the washer does not have the space to locate the spines on the gear shaft. What am i doing wrong. I ran without the locking nut washer, and it become loose.

try pulling the shaft out,you only need 1mm or so so unless it's the wrong sprocket it should just slide on

Maybe I read that incorrectly.. did you mean you replaced chain/sprocket and ran it without the locking tab... or have I came in in the middle of a different chat.

Stu

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sorry for the late reply. I have tried to pull out the spindle, thinking it would accommodate the required castellation to attach the locking spacer, but no can do.
Yes i ran without the locking washer several times, this produced the nut to loosen. I did put a good bit of purchase on the nut.

Sorry for the late reply. I have tried to pull out the spindle, thinking it would accommodate the required castellation to attach the locking spacer, but no can do.
Yes i ran without the locking washer several times, this produced the nut to loosen. I did put a good bit of purchase on the nut.

I would buy a new lock washer from BMW dealer. I wouldn't want to run without one. You should also use threadlock.

Front Sprocket

Do not run the bike without the locking washer fitted. The front sprocket will come loose without it fitted and having a chain come off the sprocket is not something you want to experience. The locking washer can be reused as you simply bend the tab back up to secure the bolt in place once torqued. That said a replacement washer is very cheap from BMW. You also need to torque the front sprocket nut to 125 Nm when tightening.

I would buy a new lock washer from BMW dealer. I wouldn't want to run without one. You should also use threadlock.
if using the locking tab theres no need for thread lock.

to the OP,put a pic up to see if we can see what the issue is

I think I know what your trying to say.

Are you saying the locking washer has a circular whole in the middle rather than keyed for the shaft?

If so I had this happen on a old bike, nut became loose and destroyed the washer, had to replace it.

Sorry for the late reply.

Jesus..lol. The carnage potential never mind personal safety issues are just simply too great.

Replacement lock tab washer is the only way forward.

Agree with OP a few snaps up never go wrong, take them with your phone and add on via tapatalk..easiest way.

S

Last edited:
Thanks for all comments.
Ive been in the garage tonight. Tried several front sprockets, the 4th sprocket, gave me the correct space to install, the locking tab. Question now is, do earlier models have a different sprocket size.IMG_0217.JPGThe image shows there is no space for the locking tab

I can't see images on here unless I post them up.. wtf... there was an Android update at the weekend ! Likely culprit.

I can't see images on here unless I post them up.. wtf... there was an Android update at the weekend ! Likely culprit.

7cb1065ee692a65079462ea889a3894e.jpg
My first time with tapatalk. Hoping the image is successful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sprocket nut will only fit on halfway (half thread depth) but this goes between the sprocket and nut... is that an OE sprocket ?
d0b724128ce431341ade5556b27cb3c2.jpg

Last edited:
Perfect... You've distracted me from this obscene TV circus.. Woods v Mickelson.

Im not sure if that is a good or bad interruption/distraction. But at least you have taken a response to my issue. So thank you. Do you have a thought to why i struggled to get a sprocket to fit. My thought process is limited, but I'm thinking there is a small difference in the size of sprocket dimensions, with different models. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Stick on a pic of the sprocket nut be good if you can show the threads..the unused portion will be rusty/discolored...or in this case clean...lol probably of a newer bike.

Like this..if you look closely..

f32cc5549cdfcf87618e55c13ec24863.jpg

Last edited:
I was curious what your circus was, looked it up on google. Not sure about the golf attraction. LOL. Ive left my babies at home, as I'm in Arran for the WKND, so can't take any pics. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Stick on a pic of the sprocket nut be good if you can show the threads..the unused portion will be rusty/discolored...or in this case clean...lol probably of a newer bike.

Like this..if you look closely..

f32cc5549cdfcf87618e55c13ec24863.jpg
I do have a spare nut. Your correct the nut does have a rust appearance. I will change it out, to see if this is an issue.

Back