Winter Use

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJK

Reaction score
Just wondering how many people are still using there bikes? I'm going to try and rack up as many miles as possible over the bad months (within reason and only when its dry). In preparation I have ACF50'd the bike and stuck on some Metzeler Roadtec 01 and the bike gets a proper wash and dry after every use to help keep the corrosion at bay.

So far I have been really impressed with the tyres and considering the temperatures have not really been above 11 C here in the North East and the B roads are quite treacherous, the tyres have not skipped a beat, no scary moments to report and I'm still having fun with some slightly spirited riding. This is still a new bike to me so roll on spring when the better weather arrives.

Glad to hear you intend to use your bike through the winter months.
Sounds like you?ve got it covered with ACF-50 and sport touring tyres. I think RoadTech 01?s are excellent road tyres, though shall be trying the Michelin Road 5?s next.
I ride year round and there is still plenty of enjoyment to be had, albeit in a more restrained sense than in warm, dry weather.

- Oli

Last edited:
Yeah definitely, I nearly went for the R5?s that?s the choice of my mates but I?ve had the Roadtec 01 before so went for something I already felt comfortable with. It will be interesting to compare the mileage as we all ride at similar pace. My last set of Roadtec 01?s I only got just over 4K on the rear and the front was not to far away either, albeit on a different bike so I?m not expecting high mileage from them.

Do you wash your bike after every use or just put it away? Even though it has ACF50 on I can?t bare not to wash and dry it just incase I come back to aload of corrosion!

Just wondering how many people are still using there bikes? I'm going to try and rack up as many miles as possible over the bad months (within reason and only when its dry). In preparation I have ACF50'd the bike and stuck on some Metzeler Roadtec 01 and the bike gets a proper wash and dry after every use to help keep the corrosion at bay.

So far I have been really impressed with the tyres and considering the temperatures have not really been above 11 C here in the North East and the B roads are quite treacherous, the tyres have not skipped a beat, no scary moments to report and I'm still having fun with some slightly spirited riding. This is still a new bike to me so roll on spring when the better weather arrives.
It’ll be fine, my s1 only gets a wash once a year at a service, maybe a quick jet wash in the summer after a ruinous ride through slurry or roadkill etc. 17k miles and it still scrubs up fine. Tbh, I’m really surprised it’s so resilient. It’ll be out over winter for sure, salt and all. This year though, i’ve Fked up my tyre rotation so no m7’s to get me through, tippy toeing on Diablo’s until spring. It’s a disposable commodity, not you gf ;-)

I?ve used the RT01?s all year and they?ve been superb for purely road use. Next year I will swap to a slightly sportier option for the Spring and Summer as missed the extra front end competence in the dry that sport tyres confer.

I do not wash my bike immediately after getting wet/dirty either. Generally it?s a once per week affair depending on use and conditions. I?ve left the bike filthy for a few days before and so long as you apply anti-corrosion products when cleaning the bike all is well.
I?ve had no corrosion issues over 50k miles and year round use

- Oli

Maybe my cleaning schedule is a little over the top I know it?s a pain and I hate cleaning vehicles.

I took my existing rubber off that came with the bike and will refit once the weather picks up or the RT01 are shot depending on what I do with the bike between now and then?

Good on you for continuing to use it but I just dont see the point these days even if I did get out on the roads more than I do. For a few years I stubbornly went out all year round in all weather but you can't ride it properly and it wrecks the bikes so mine get put to bed for the time that the roads are salted especially. If I was to commute or use the bike on the road regularly I would buy a winter bike now. All that said I did buy the BMW in the first place because of how well it handles the bad weather so its all kind of irrelevant!

Last edited:
Good on you for continuing to use it but I just dont see the point these days even if I did get out on the roads more than I do. For a few years I stubbornly went out all year round in all weather but you can't ride it properly and it wrecks the bikes so mine get put to bed for the time that the roads are salted especially. If I was to commute or use the bike on the road regularly I would buy a winter bike now. All that said I did buy the BMW in the first place because of how well it handles the bad weather so its all kind of irrelevant!

I get where you are coming from, I just think from now until spring is a long time and I will get serious bike withdrawal, plus we sometimes get some ok winter days. My bike is solely for pleasure and never commuting so I pick my days of use only on the best winter weather. Where I live it?s quite common for the roads to be still gritted in the middle of April so I except that at some points my bike has to be exposed to salt otherwise the season would be a very short one if I got bike out in May.

This is the time the super moto comes out, the s1k nearly killed me a couple of years ago, I'm sure touring tyres would help but wheres the fun in that.

40hp is enough for sub 5c tennis temps for me now.

Took mine for a wee spin with the super corsas tyres on, shit the bed it fish tailed on the straight with a smidge of power (was in slick mode lol) I thought it was going down.

Bike is grounded till march, i'll get me push bike out instead ;)

Yeah I could imagine super moto easier to manage nice and light too, I would never take the bike out unless temperatures were 10C minimum.

SC?s and slick mode probably not the best winter combination :joyous:

Last edited:
Yeah I could imagine super moto easier to manage nice and light too, I would never take the bike out unless temperatures were 10C minimum.

SC’s and slick mode probably not the best winter combination :joyous:

That rules out Scotland any time before June ;-)

No no no... 2018 was a scorcher remember... late April on was great !

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yes Stuart you're right this year was a scorcher and the temp in May for the NC500 was indeed above 10C.

I was thinking of the old Billy Connolly joke about there being only two seasons in Scotland: Winter & June.

Last edited:
I pick the times. My winter fun this year is stomp140 racing on go-kart tracks.

To be fair the beemer is very forgiving in crap leafy weather. You just see the traction light alot more

Took mine for a wee spin with the super corsas tyres on, shit the bed it fish tailed on the straight with a smidge of power (was in slick mode lol) I thought it was going down.

Bike is grounded till march, i'll get me push bike out instead ;)

Fishtailing is a lot less scary than it sounds or looks, Sky
I used to ride around in the rain all the time and on the motorway would often find the back creeping around when it was really wet (when engine braking for example). I dunno how one actually goes about practising this and I'd never recommend anyone doing it, but if you don't panic and grab a hanful of brake or try and steer too much, it's fine.
This knowledge helped me when my rear wheel locked up at very high speed last year (in the dry. Don't ask). Didn't get close to coming off. H

I use my bike all year round. ive just recently fitted Michelin R5's.. amazing rubber..
I thicken everywhere in Scotoiler 365 after a wash after every ride out.
I snowfoam / jetwash / wash and dry full bike ( with compressor) after every ride anyway. (bit anal I know). but hate a dirty bike.. but just add the scotoiler into routine this time of year..

Back