Monners Gen 3

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funnily enough I had this exact same problem as well when I first converted the bike at the beginning of the year. My rear speed sensor was not getting any data and it was because of the spacers being the wrong ones.

Those brake calipers are more brownish red than I would have expected...I thought they were black? Or is it brake dust + the red rims?

A bit of both perhaps? I did give the bike a shampoo and brake clean the calipers but it was only a quick job. They are a bit brownish for some reason. They certainly work, it's like chucking an anchor off the side of the bike :)

Round 2 of NoLimits at Cadwell Park this weekend and she's finally looking like a racebike. I've got a few more things incoming in particular jet prime switchgear that looks heroic and cost as such which I accidently bought yesterday after getting seduced by the shiny pictures.

I've also got extra rear sprockets coming for my Titax spare wheels which I'm hoping will stop me from having too many issues with using different brands. The racing paddock is very hectic and the last thing you need whilst trying to deal with a problem is confusion with different gear. The Titax wheels take the Marchesini size sprockets with the 100mm bolt circle / 76mm inner diameter whereas the HP wheels have a different size (not sure what it is off hand?).

The forecast is still very cold with it showing 8 degrees high and 3 degrees low at the moment for Friday-Sunday which is not great but at least it is dry so hopefully we will be able to keep heat in the tyres. After spending 8mths and still recovering from smashing my ankles at Cadwell last September I have no appetite for playing temperature roulette! If I wasn't racing with the Army Team I'd just head to Spain and wait for it to warm up more in this country but I learn so much from racing with the Team and in the NoLimits series which is very competitive with some extremely fast riders. We have an infrred temperature reader now and the general opinion seems to be that if the track temp (not the air temp which can be very different) is below 10 degrees then its a case of engage survival mode until it warms up later in the day. At the Donnington round the track was 22 degrees around noon which was surprising since the air temp was only around 10 degrees if I remember correctly. We didn't get a measurement in the morning when all the bikes were going down which is a shame.

Cracking thread! Bike looks well. I’m curious what is on the back of your tank here....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had an awesome three days at Alcarras with Pacedayz Trackdays this weekend. I think it's one of the grippiest tracks I have been to. The first day track surface temperature was less than 10 degrees in the morning which is the point at which it gets really dodgy in the UK on the slippery MSV surfaces at places like Donnington and Cadwell and it was perfectly fine out there. It is more naturally a 600 circuit like Cartegena and some of the other smaller Spanish tracks and I went well here on the R6 a couple of years ago so was keen to try and match my laptimes on the RR.

I'm progressing my setup knowledge really well at the moment using the data I collect whilst riding. This RR felt a right handful on the first day and I spent most of my time trying not to get launched into the tyre wall (one guy did unfortunately!). I stuck some softer springs in (10.25 down to 10.00Nm which is usually my softest setup) and also slowed down the rebound to make it easier to handle through the quick direction changes and it was a lot easier to progress . After a day of this I was feeling good and started to really work on my braking points with the new Brembo HPK / Z04 that I have just fitted from Road Race Performance Shropshire (Brett is a top bloke, hit him up for good deals :) ). I was having intermittent issues through the year and had gone all out after a I had got away with some potentially serious situations when the brakes failed at Redbull Ring and Donnington at high speed. It turned out to be the position of the axle and washers in the left fork leg was making the disc contact the caliper when hot and causing brake failure. The setup is phenomenal, literally like chucking an anchor off the side despite the RR being a heavy beast. I was matching my mate who is a mega late breaker on his Honda 600RR racebike thats only about 150kg!

Having these mega powerful brakes putting big forces through the forks meant that I soon over came the stability of the lighter springs and had a few big tail wagging moments so went back up to the 10.25. The extra confidence meant that I was now able to run the bike with this setup through the tight twisty parts and also hit exit apex's using the power which was something I've been struggling on before now with this bike.

I stuck a new set of tyres on at the end of day 2 in preperation for the day 3 morning with Peter Hickman and managed to knock a couple of seconds off my laptime mostly by being a bit mental using the grip whilst cranked over so it was a bit on edge. After the morning with Hicky I was able to match that 1'43.6'' lap time consistently without taking risks in the slightly greasy conditions so I was very happy with the situation despite not reducing the laptime further.

Last edited:
Yes mate, Hickman and Michael Laverty are usually there instructing as well as the racers on the Pacedayz team, sometimes the other Laverty brothers are there as well.

Cracking time round Alcarras mate. I went out with Hicky in the 3 afternoon sessions on the first day and managed to knock 4 seconds off my previous best time round there 2 years ago. Managed to get down to a 1:50:07 in the end so you were really flying

Back