Monners Gen 3

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monners

Reaction score
Thought I should stick up a build thread as I've got bunch of plans with the bike and been using it lately. I bought it new in 2015 as a 'practical road/work bike that could also do noise restricted trackdays'. I had just started contracting work and thought I would need a commuter. I test rode a bike from Bahnstormer Alton in February in horrific weather conditions and the way the BMW handled the weather sold it to me on the spot. As it turned out I got work in London and never used it for commuting so it became a road bike for the odd occasions I got out and a Nurburgring bike for our annual two or three trips.

Visiting the family in Cornwall on the hire bike whilst waiting for my identical bike to get delivered. Gale force winds and driving rain on the way home were handled with aplomb!

IMG_1107.jpgRainCornwall2.jpg

I'm not much of a fan of spending money on bling for the sake of it, I'd rather do a trackday, but I didn't get on with the stock levers or rear sets and needed some properly adjustable items. The HP stuff is admittedly uber bling but it does give genuine adjustability which can be difficult if you are not sure which cheaper brands work for you.

fullsizeoutput_236.jpegIMG_3926.jpg

Last edited:
I'd always wanted to ride Brands GP track but it was a no go on my noisy Panigale so took the chance on the BMW

downloadz_210716_1788_brands_hatch.jpgdownloadz_210716_1958_brands_hatch.jpg

The BMW is perfect for the Nurburgring. I took the Panigale for Spa after the Ring but couldn't get past the noise police without the 15mph sapping noise baffle so ended up using the BMW for there as well.

fullsizeoutput_e7a.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Luckily for my licence I don't get out on the roads much but Sunday rides would never be quite the same again, especially after my mate also bought a BMW! I couldn't resist an end can to sex the bike up a bit. Like this its pretty much the perfect road / race bike in my opinion. Heated grips and cruise control are hilarious but so practical, especially getting out of London where there are cameras on all the main roads and it becomes tiring dealing with them.

IMG_5249.jpgfullsizeoutput_92.jpg

The bike pretty much sat in the garage for the next year until we went back out to Nurburgring and I got punted off by a car and the vid went viral around the world!

IMG_0971.jpgIMG_0972.jpg

I was pretty shell shocked after this. Luckily the damage to the bike was very minor. Bizarrely the driver insisted on going through insurance which ended up in a police report blaming him for dangerous driving because it's his responsibility to check it's safe before pulling out for an over take.

So again the bike sat in the garage whilst I raced my R6 and tracked the Panigale. I was determined not to damage the BMW as it was my only perfect condition bike! After a season of racing the R6 I am looking to move back to a 1000cc bike for next year and the BMW now looks like the most practical and economical way to get something built. The R6 is an amazing bike as it seems like you can push it endlessly and it soaks up the abuse, its only really the rider limits that stop you. However it always felt a little small and awkward for me and a bunch of big crashes over the last couple months helped me make the decision to go back to the big bike. I did want to buy a reasonably fresh superstock BMW already built and keep this as a clean road bike but have not been able to afford it so I have spent the last couple months hoovering up all the parts for sale on the forum to start converting.

IMG_2598.JPG

Great stuff Royal!

I remember watching your YouTube video of the car contact at The Ring a while back, you did extremely well to keep it on two wheels #NinjaSkills [emoji41]

I look forward to following your RR build over the coming months and hope you have many fantastic track days ahead

- Oli

Nice thread royal (now monners), keep up the good work.

Last edited:
you certainly have hoovered a few parts up ;) shame i dont have much left now!!! (well,apart from a SBK engine... ;) )

Haha unfortunately an imminent tax bill puts a stop to that idea!

your lucky i'm not breaking this bike or you'd be selling the missus!!

Give the 2D sensors a thorough iso alcohol bath, they are known to get dirty and stop working.

Got her out on the Pacedayz trip to Jerez and had a really productive time. First time out on the bike in race trim with the new Mupo CSP30 forks and Mupo factory rear shock. ABS has all been removed and the data sensors and the like have all been fitted. A combination of holding back a bit due to still not being fully recovered from last years Cadwell crash and just not understanding how to ride the back meant I was slower than last time here on the R6 for the first day. I spent the second day with Michael Laverty which is always money well spent since he is one of the best instructors I've used. He's great at syncing to your speed and gradually dragging you faster through the corners. He's also good with the data so we were able to study that a bit at lunch time and make some adjustments which really helped. He knocked four seconds off my lap time through the day which was awesome and I managed to go a little quicker the next day.

2019-03-13 17_35_46-Jerez_14546.JPG (6000?4000).jpgIMG_2951.JPGIMG_2950.JPG

View attachment _DSC8965.jpgView attachment Archivo 686.jpg
It was starting to feel more natural by the third day but I must admit it wasn't easy to adjust to the different riding style after the Panigale and R6. It was really difficult to slow down enough in the corners and use a more point and shoot sort of style. I usually see 59 degrees of lean angle on the Pani but didn't see more than 55 on the BMW, I think mostly down to confidence issues. I had no electronics for the first two days due to what turned out to be a too thick spacer in the rear so was being quite cautious through not feeling confident on the bike. Luckily Dave from HM racing was on the trip and spotted the problem so it was great to have the bike fully sorted for the third day. I only use the very lowest settings as I like to feel the bike but its enough to give a little safety net if the worst happens.

Last edited:
Each time I come to Jerez I enjoy it more:
View attachment _DSC9134.jpg
Getting feedback from Michael Laverty:
53084603_10157199774312053_7318877662569562112_o.jpg
Having proper data to work from is invaluable. You no longer have the problem of the rider trying to interpret his feelings and the instructor trying to guess what he is saying. The data doesn't lie when you are being over cautious on the throttle on the first day! I was sure I was gunning it as well!:5LbN41pKQD+47M+Hsra5eQ.jpg

After some Laverty instruction I knocked a stack of time off just by using 100% throttle more often. The basic stuff makes the biggest difference to laptimes!:
+TPRfK5WRpCK%vgnF7%3Xw.jpg

Last edited:
Mupo CSP30 Suspension worked amazingly well for me, the sensitivity of the dampening was really impressive. The data sensors look super trick as well :)

jsF8+eq4QaS%AIPYms5OHQ.jpg

Last edited:
A comparison of Michael Laverty data on my bike compared to me. Check out the orange throttle line!

I'm also going to try some lighter springs since I'm not using all the available travel. The bottom graph is suspension travel; rear in red and front in blue which I'm not using as much of as I should be. Being harder on the brakes as I get used to the bike will help this as well but I think it's worth me dropping from a 10.5 to 10.0 springs all the same. On the R6 I had 10.0 but I was using way too much preload and needed to go up to 10.5 so thought it was worth starting there on the heavier BMW.
sRduQFskSsOwTkSu1cCt7g.jpgidFwxaUqRuCbfLHflCYykg.jpg

Back