Vid from Portimao with Pacedayz this week

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monners

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/yRdDCvifYKM

Little vid from this weeks adventures in Portugal. I'm recovering form a pretty big crash racing at Cadwell a few months back so no heroics, just a bit of tuning into how to ride the BMW with no dramas. The Laverty brothers were running a race school and Pete Hickman was also there. I had booked in with the Lavertys but had to pull out due to money as the other half was not working and then from the injuries after my crash.

:)

track_circuit__PORTI.jpg

Between 11 and 14. You clicked up to 3rd on the downhill, I think, and then back down to 2nd for the last left which is 13. Did you test out using 2nd all the way and 'ringing' it's neck through the fast 12? I couldn't decided if it was better or worse, I think it felt less composed but don't yet know if the numbers supported using 2nd anyway. I'm on 16/43 which is a tiny bit shorter than stock.

:)

track_circuit__PORTI.jpg

Between 11 and 14. You clicked up to 3rd on the downhill, I think, and then back down to 2nd for the last left which is 13. Did you test out using 2nd all the way and 'ringing' it's neck through the fast 12? I couldn't decided if it was better or worse, I think it felt less composed but don't yet know if the numbers supported using 2nd anyway. I'm on 16/43 which is a tiny bit shorter than stock.

I'm on stock gearing at the moment so could probaly hang on to it but never thought to try it. Like you say I'd imagine it would be too unstable. That corner through the dip is full throttle if you have the kahoonas for it so I dont think second would work?

nice vid is the bm standard ?

Just an exhaust at the moment. The stock gearing is definitely wrong for the track, it needs to go up a tooth or two at the rear. I was getting close to 180mph on the Panigale when I was here last and the BMW is usually a bit quicker in terms of vmax but I only saw around 172mph because of changing to sixth right at the end of the straight near the braking zone. Probably partly to do with me not being up to much but it was deffo not optimum.

Last edited:
I'm on stock gearing at the moment so could probaly hang on to it but never thought to try it. Like you say I'd imagine it would be too unstable. That corner through the dip is full throttle if you have the kahoonas for it so I dont think second would work?
Full throttle in a higher gear is more easy than a lower thats for sure! Not sure I see 100% tps anywhere lol

- Alex

Just an exhaust at the moment. The stock gearing is definitely wrong for the track, it needs to go up a tooth or two at the rear. I was getting close to 180mph on the Panigale when I was here last and the BMW is usually a bit quicker in terms of vmax but I only saw around 172mph because of changing to sixth right at the end of the straight near the braking zone. Probably partly to do with me not being up to much but it was deffo not optimum.

iv got standard gearing and can hit 184 before braking on the straight, normally in sixth just over half way along the straight

Really thats bizarre, makes me wonder if the bike is in limp mode? I did have a flashing TC/ABS light but wouldn't expect that to make it go into limp, just stop the TC working but maybe its different on the BMW to the Ducati? I am recovering from a bad crash so was not surprised to be down 5 seconds but I still wouldn't expect to be down on the vmax?

Really thats bizarre, makes me wonder if the bike is in limp mode? I did have a flashing TC/ABS light but wouldn't expect that to make it go into limp, just stop the TC working but maybe its different on the BMW to the Ducati? I am recovering from a bad crash so was not surprised to be down 5 seconds but I still wouldn't expect to be down on the vmax?

When the DTC and ABS are deactivated via the left hand switchgear, the lights should be constantly illuminated and not flashing.
Normally they flash until 5 mph at which point they go out, unless deactivated as stated above.

I am not sure what flashing at speed represents, but would suggest looking into this further

- Oli

Cheers mate, I'll do that. You can clearly see it flashing in the vid.

I was hitting 180 on the clocks, but very slightly geared down 16/43. (44 would have been good to try).

Also my bike is ~12kgs lighter than stock.
Exhaust, wheels, battery (Lithium), fairings (no lights)

I was hitting 140 on the climb out of the last corner.

- Alex

Thanks. Does anyone know if the GS-911 diagnostics tool gives anything that you dont get with the RCK unlock? It looks like a useful box of tricks for diagnosing this sort of problem but its expensive and no point getting it if I have the same functionality when I do the unlock and mapping.

https://www.hexinnovate.com/gs-911/

the flashing whilst riding is telling you that the tc or anti wheelie is kicking in

as for the GS911,it gives a lot more options regarding the ECU diagnostic etc.

send me a message with what your not sure about and will give you the info,been using both units for a while now

but after having gen1,2+3 bikes,.the gs unit is probablly the best money i've spent on the bike

It's not a fast flashing , it's ( I think!) a slow continuous flash showing that the TC is not initialised according to the user manual. I've only just got the bike back from Portimao so havn't looked yet but there seems to be some kind of electronic issue on? will ping you on the messenger mate.

It's not a fast flashing , it's ( I think!) a slow continuous flash showing that the TC is not initialised according to the user manual. I've only just got the bike back from Portimao so havn't looked yet but there seems to be some kind of electronic issue on? will ping you on the messenger mate.

+1, the flashing seen in the video is not a sign of TC/ABS activation, that is a faster paced flash that should only occur when there is significant or sustained TC/ABS intrusion

- Oli

I couldn't work out the correct spacers for my spare wheels so the front sensor was definitely not working for a few sessions but I went back to the standard wheels because of this and it was still flashing. I only have data from the first day here at the moment but looking at the TCS template on the 2D software it is definitely missing the TCS_Active channel so the traction control isn't working.
BMWData2018-11-14 16_54_26-.jpg

(probably should stick this stuff over on my bike build thread I suppose?)

theresa big difference in your front+rear wheel speed so looks to me like your front sensor is playing up,or wheel not fitted correctly.

the TC light flashing does that when you start your bike,and goes out after about 10ft of moving,bascially so the ecu knows the wheel pick ups are working,looks like your front isn't.try cleaning it witha bit of brake cleaner,and making sure it's aligned correctly

Do you know the difference between V-Front / Rear [km/h] and Speed_ABS_F / R ? they look to be seperate signals ?

SpeedData.png

Back