Animated Engines

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good find Stuart, I didn?t realise there were so many engine configurations!

The rotary Wankel engine always makes me snigger lol [emoji23]

- Oli

Good that Stuart👍
Me being an aircraft geek, I love the rotary (not the wankel, snigger)
The way the crankshaft is fixed, and the cylinders rotate around it.
A bit of a problem with First World War pilots, getting used to the torque reaction. Turning easily one way and not so easily the other.

A bit of a problem with First World War pilots, getting used to the torque reaction. Turning easily one way and not so easily the other.[/QUOTE]

Good point RR.. when you consider the mass and subsequent forces involved..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Good find Stuart, I didn?t realise there were so many engine configurations!

The rotary Wankel engine always makes me snigger lol [emoji23]

- Oli
Lol.. A real oddball but brilliant piece of engineering, smooth as can be and very powerful given a like for like capacity V a normal 4 Stroke setup, major issues were with Rotor Tips wearing out.

When I see the manufacturers name NSU that always makes me smile too.

So you get NSU from a WANKel lol.

Last edited:
You don't know what a can of worms you've opened up Stuart:glee:

I absolutely LOVE piston engined 1st and 2nd World War aircraft and all the technology that goes into them........but the engines are really special, as they have to develop so much power, though be as light as possible and of course must be reliable too! A difficult thing to achieve I would think, especially back then.

If you want mechanical complexity, take a look at this beauty!
Its a Bristol Hercules, air cooled, double row 14 cylinder, sleeve valve radial engine. It's a 'normal' fixed engine, with the crankshaft turning in the normal way.
But that's where the 'normality' ends!
This engine powered 2nd WW aircraft, such as the Halifax bomber, the Sterling bomber and the Beaufighter and many others.

You will notice that this 4 stroke engine doesn't use poppet valves as found in, again 'normal' engines, but uses sleeves to uncover ports, not unlike the 2 stroke way. But again, that's where the similarity ends.

After this build up, I hope this link works:confusion:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sou....64.psy-ab..6.10.1442...0i131k1.0.uwDC2KQxiAw

Wow, how complex is that, looks like a swiss watch...guess it could rev high with no valve train to consider..

Just a footnote to the above.......if you watch the animated link, keep watching to see the next video. I've only just spotted it. It's the first startup of a Bristol Hercules, wearing a much shortened propeller!

Just think of what's going on inside that engine!!!

Wow, how complex is that, looks like a swiss watch...guess it could rev high with no valve train to consider..

I'm not sure it's high revs they need stuart, more likely high torque.
I don't think this design of engine is suitable for sustained high revs though, as there was some difficulty maintaining sufficient lubrication to the sleeves.
Might work now though, with the advancement in lubrication technology.

Just a footnote to the above.......if you watch the animated link, keep watching to see the next video. I've only just spotted it. It's the first startup of a Bristol Hercules, wearing a much shortened propeller!

Just think of what's going on inside that engine!!!

Footnote to my footnote....... Don't think that will come up. Just tried and it didn't!

You can find it though by Googling it, for those interested in such things.
Sorry for the red Herring!

Haha... your soooo into these engine RR. Lol

I just like the technology stuart.
They have 2 cutaway and turning engines at the Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington near York. One is a Rolls Royce Merlin, the other is a Bristol Hercules.
I could watch the movements of the Hercules all day, it's sooooo fascinating.....

Back