Gen3 6 axis or not?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preynol1

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I know I will regret asking this as I may end up more confused than enlightened.
I read in MCN that the new S1KRR now has 6 axis sensor which enables cornering abs, slide control etc.

But I thought this was the case already especially on the gen 3. As we have rider pro ABS wheelie, rear wheel lift control and the manual talks about drift allowance.

You can?t do that just with abs rings or can you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gen 1 and 2 bikes had traction control, wheelie control and ABS determined exclusively from the wheel speed differential.

The HP4?s brought in lean angle sensitive DTC and later cornering ABS (ABS Pro) as a retrofittable upgrade.

The Gen 3 era of bikes also included lean angle sensitive DTC, though ABS Pro was introduced as an upgrade from 2016 onwards.

The Gen 4 is the first to include a 6-axis IMU, which allows the yaw of the bike to be determined and so allows for slide control

- Oli

Last edited:
Axis are not the same as the features, but they allow features.

- Alex
Cheers Alex I understand what the 6 axis are and how the IMU works.

I?m just surprised that the wheelie and stoppie detection is via the difference in wheels speeds and rate of change over time.

But it must mean these features are on or off with not much terms of difference in fine control. Hence Felix 2nd gear 3ft?ers.

Can anyone confirm the anti loop setting in race?

Cheers Alex I understand what the 6 axis are and how the IMU works.

I?m just surprised that the wheelie and stoppie detection is via the difference in wheels speeds and rate of change over time.

But it must mean these features are on or off with not much terms of difference in fine control. Hence Felix 2nd gear 3ft?ers.

Can anyone confirm the anti loop setting in race?

Yes the wheelie and stoppie detection is determined by the wheel speeds.

@Felix had the DTC in slick mode which means it is deactivated for ~ 5 seconds.

In DTC Race mode, the bike will only wheelie to a height of a couple feet or so. With the DTC in Sport it is more restrictive. To my knowledge I doubt if any wheelie?s are allowed with DTC in Rain mode.

6-axis IMU?s, in conjunction with more powerful ECU?s are allowing for greater fidelity and refinement to the rider aids

- Oli

Last edited:
the r1 has the features what the bmw now has , the gen 3 is lower in spec terms ,,the gen 1/2 lower again

Yea Yamaha?s biggest USP was their electronics package IMO.
To my knowledge, the 2015 R1 was the first production bike to have a 6-axis IMU and genuine slide control

- Oli

Last edited:
I think it was 3 axis then 5 axis.
Part no. Would confirm.

- Alex

Last edited:
Back