Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spindle bobbins

Riding
    15 msport +

Re: Spindle bobbins

Both sides will be the same. Its a tie rod through the axle with a nut on each end. It looks like the nuts have a blue plastic shake proof bit to hold them in place. You need some way to hold one nut while undoing the other. The problem is you cant get at one of the nuts. Not sure how you can get that protector off if the gold bit is spinning too.
    Punctuation - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Riding
    15 msport +

You need some way of holding the gold bit and unscrewing the protector off - without damaging your folk leg :-(

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

Erm don't you just undo the 10mm nut in the right leg and the 'axle' bar/thru rod comes out?

- Alex
    Last edited by alex; 9th November 2018 at 12:23 PM.

What a poor design.

it gets even worse.

i have up so put the one back on that I had removed and tightened that fully, but then it started turning freely like the other side. So that gold insert bit that it screws on to is obviously turning as well. I’ve tried tighten the pinch bolts more to try and hold the gold bit in but it makes no difference.

Might be a hacksaw job either side
    2011 S1000rr sport

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

Undo the small nylon 10mm nut.
    It should then pull out.

- Alex

It doesn’t do anything, on the other side it’s onviusly spinning and as I can’t access that other side then it’s useless. The problem is that part that the bobbin screws to is spinning freely.

I stuck the other side back on as I had given up and that is now spinning freely so I’m screwed.
    2011 S1000rr sport

Riding
    15 msport +

The only thing holding the gold bits either side in place are the 10mm nuts - the pinch bolts wont affect it.
    One thing you could try is to put some down force on the protector that has not been off. That may stop the nut on that side spinning and let you get the other side off. You'll need long arms though. Some heat on the side you are un doing might help.

Riding
    15 msport +

And by heat I mean a hair dryer or electric heat gun

Yep you’re right, because the nuts are slightly loose both gold bits are turning freely. Problem is I can’t get the one off that I had off previously as that gold bit is turning freely. I think whoever had these off last never tightened them enough,

I’ll try applying downward force to see if that does anything, failing that I think hacksaw to expose the nut then get it to f%#k
    2011 S1000rr sport

What a farce that was, free to good home, in fact straight in the bin it shall go.

On the side I had already had off, then screwed back on again but the gold bit started turning with it meaning I couldn’t take it back off. What I did was from underneath I used a drill punch to punch a small hole into it allowing me to hold it in place whilst I unscrewed the bobbin.

On the other side which I never had off, I drilled a hole in the gold bit, started off with a 2mm drill bit and worked my way up to 3mm. I then used jubilee clamp with mole grips attached to the screw part and a 2.5mm Allen key inserted to the hole I drilled to counter hold whilst undoing the bobbin. Terrible design.

2011 S1000rr sport

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wull For This Useful Post: