Biker Down Course today

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
Roughly 12 of us just spent 3 hours with 2 members of Scottish Fire Service and 1 from Scottish Ambulance Service at Motherwell fire station.

It was superb... The two Gerry's and John were totally straight talking, good balance of humour, tuition and professionalism.

Learned so much, very sobering hearing of real life situations and what they done at the scene, which in turn makes it realistic in your own head and had me thinking about what I would do.

3 modules covered, started at 12pm, it was almost 2pm before I glanced at my watch, unusual for anything to hold my attention beyond 20 minutes...

Couple of standouts:

If your mate came off at 140mph..tell them that ! Don't say it was 70mph

Show them his/her lid, EMS will inspect it for extent of damage and corresponding head injuries

Kiss goodbye to your 2 grand Rukka/Held/D Air suit...it's getting sliced open by EMS.

If your mates lying upside down on a fence...irrespective of the nick he's in get him onto a flat surface if you need to be rough..do it.

If he's not breathing ...he's dead, even if he looks like a butchers shop window get him on his back rapid style.....remove helmet (highly effective technique showed today) and do CPR on his chest.

If you do chest CPR almost without fail it will feel your pressing down onto a bag of wet broken bones with the associated noises and sensation (boak).... again what does it matter..if he's not breathing he's dead at that point...

But in doing the above you might just save your pals or someone elses life..

Best 3 hours I've spent in a classroom... absolutely no question !

Heres the full programme..

https://www.motorcyclescotland.com/biker-down-scotland-free-course/

Cost ... 3 hours of your time.

3ac9c74f108beec39830cb1de5631cdc.jpg
c7ea87897783842ecbcb5884d76efa3f.jpg
2b406c19e09f6647d7f232431135c6ef.jpg
2bc6dc3070cfcc65015d31f13585b739.jpg
f3925149102d7d0e76e9afa59a8884b1.jpg

EDIT:

We all got that one wrong ! Biker down...bad way...who do you call first...

Thoughts ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Glad to hear the course was excellent and that you had a great afternoon Stuart!

I would have thought dialling 999 would be first thing to do in an emergency

- Oli

Glad to hear the course was excellent and that you had a great afternoon Stuart!

I would have thought dialling 999 would be first thing to do in an emergency

- Oli
It is... but what service ... police, ambulance or fire service...which in general terms would be first ?

Oh I forgot all these wee goodies..pocket Chamois is handy and you get 10% off Devitt and one others insurance.. I can't remember who he said...
ce81fb1d34f7e6d529843cee77652cc2.jpg
49198d83e6af76b4db2f036c76799422.jpg

Wrong lol thats what we all said... answer is Fire Brigade... mind it's generally... so he's assuming it's beyond a minor smash...

As John said "we've got the most toys" 5 guys on the appliance, body boards, traffic management cones and barriers, every fireman has pretty extensive first aid, cutting gear, stuff for killing fires before they happen...kind of makes sense when you think of it. Cops and ambulance have 2 people and limited goodies on board... gets you thinking !

Btw those guys gave up there own time today. they don't get paid for doing these courses...completely voluntary.

It really was excellent.

Last edited:
Well done stu and thanks for posting. We need as much of this kind of stuff on the forum as possible, it may just save a mate?s life one day, hopefully its all just academic, but deep down we all know it?s probably not.

Last edited:
Apparently it was Kent Fire Service that put the programme together.

Even on a track it could be useful particularly the helmet removal and CPR..

Anyhow hope none of us have to use it...

Last edited:
Well done stu and thanks for posting. We need as much of this kind of stuff on the forum as possible, it may just save a mate?s life one day, hopefully its all just academic, but deep down we all know it?s probably not.

+1 been hinking of doing one of those Stuart. Will definitely do it now.

Last edited:
+ 1 on the course. I did one a few years ago, I was part of the pilot run by Jim from the Kent Fire Service... I would highly recommend attending it....

After the course we were given a little first aid bag that i kept under the pillion seat of my old fireblade. As it goes, I was in a group ride with a few mates and some of their mates, when we left a layby, the tailgunner was on some of the loose crap by the side of the road, as he pulled away, the back just slid away and we did not realize he was not with us after 4-5 miles. We all turned around and as we got closer, saw an ambulance just stop in the layby. As we stopped, the Medic was trying to cut his boot away as it trapped under the bike and broke his ankle. The set of shear scissors that cut through just about anything was struggling, however, I came to the rescue with the set that was in my First Aid kit. The Medic was well impressed.... however, I got a few swear words from my mate after his Alpinestar Supertech boots were split in 2.

Back