HP4 v 1199s Tricolore

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePeps

Reaction score
So I went out for a bit of a nosey today and ended up getting a test ride on each of these. Been thinking I'm about ready to swap my gen 1 out, had it since April 2016 and done a little over 8k miles on it.

HP4 has always been the next step really and I was properly excited to ride it, felt better than mine in every way but not by huge margins. Admittedly it was a steady test ride and not pushing it. To me certainly not worth the ?7.5k they wanted to change.

The Ducati is something else, the sense of occasion is completely off the scale. Torque was huge as expected but the way it gathered speed took me completely by surprise. Was a lot comfier than I expected, more leg room but a bit more pressure on the wrists. Had no idea it would be so much fun, couldn't even talk when I got off it due to the smile!

Looks like I'll be replacing the BMW with a shiny red thing over winter.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2cfrCn4]

Lovely looking thing, just be careful with that torque as I've seen more high sides from the 1199 than any other.

Must try a Duc one year.

I think I'll be going for a 1299S, seems to be a little bit easier to tame.
That 1199s is up for ?18k!!

Spoke with Neil Hodgson about Panigales, he didn't rate 1199's rideability, thought Ducati had got it wrong, he felt 1299 much better.

I am a bit confused with Ducati?? The 1299 and 1199.
The 1299 is V4 and the 1199 is V twin that I know ( I think )
If Ducati got away with 1199 V twin in WSBK, now they need to bring in the 1000V4 Panigale for WSBK, is this version going to cut it with the likes of 2019 BMW RR, Kawasaki and Yamaha etc.( has it been tested ? )
The 1299 is really a 1300cc machine to be classed alongside Hayabusa, Kawasaki 1400 and the likes.
Honda are struggling with their WSBK are they going to up the cubic capacity ??? or bring back the SP2 in 1200 ??? or 1000 V4 for WSBK.
I am probably talking rubbish but where does it end.

Both 1199 & 1299 v twins, new v4 a v4 :) but road v4 over 1000cc so no good for super bike or superstock hence why 1000cc v4r being launched

yeh rode the 1299 i think they spoilt it, the 1199 is far better for character
Matter of opinion , but I feel the opposite. On the road, the 1199 is an annoying handful. The 1299 is more refined, geometry changes have improved handling , fuelling is leagues ahead (but still unpredictable ), but theres still lots of character, drama & of course low down power.

As dry day play things, they are amazing.

Anything other than that , reliability is painful.
( I?ve had more than one panigale & mates have too - multiple issues with all bikes),

Out of warranty big ticket items are a house remortgage jobbys.

From everything I?ve read, the 1299 is a more sorted Panigale in all respects.

Panigale?s are, IMO, one of the best looking bikes ever made.
Whatever bike you end up purchasing next, enjoy [emoji4]

- Oli

The 1199 is the earlier bike, then they brought out the 1299 around 2015. It's basically a similar situation to the RSV4 and the larger engine (naked) Tuono; the larger capacity makes it much more useable on the road where you are not always not the limiter. I actually think the 1299S is one of the best all round bikes you can buy since it can do it all so well but it retains the excitement that the earlier 1199 had. I prefer the 1199 on track however since I can feel the weight difference in the engine as you move it from left to right. It wouldn't standout so much on a normal litre bike but since the Panigale is all about super lightweight agility it is much more noticeable for me. I've had two 1199S and have the current 1199R and love riding them but they can be a b*stard at the limit when the setup isn't just right. This and the price seem to be why you dont see many in club or national level racing. In Italy most of the tracks are fast sweeping corners which the Panigale excels at but here in the UK it's much more scratchy with unpredictable grip levels which is difficult to setup for at the limit.

The current 1100cc V4S is too high a capacity to race but the 999cc V4R is coming out this winter which looks to be an uncompromised weapon according to rumours and should be very impressive. Its also ?32,000 and likely to be another ?5-10k to go racing which is way way more than what the new BMW is likely to be so I just can't justify it personally much as I'd love to be racing it. If I wasn't racing I'd consider it as a track bike like my current R but I want something I know I can afford to race in a year or two time if I want to.

Last edited:
I am a bit confused with Ducati?? The 1299 and 1199.
The 1299 is V4 and the 1199 is V twin that I know ( I think )
If Ducati got away with 1199 V twin in WSBK, now they need to bring in the 1000V4 Panigale for WSBK, is this version going to cut it with the likes of 2019 BMW RR, Kawasaki and Yamaha etc.( has it been tested ? )
The 1299 is really a 1300cc machine to be classed alongside Hayabusa, Kawasaki 1400 and the likes.
Honda are struggling with their WSBK are they going to up the cubic capacity ??? or bring back the SP2 in 1200 ??? or 1000 V4 for WSBK.
I am probably talking rubbish but where does it end.
The V4S is 1103cc
The V4R will be 1000cc or so.

V-Twin Panigale's started at 1199 then went to 1299

- Alex

Back