F800r

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreudianSlip

Reaction score
My one and only offspring passed her mod-2 last week so now she's legal to ride up to a 35kw bike - I thought this was an ideal time to get her in to the BMW family, and one F800R sport later (delivered yesterday) & she's over the moon .. Weather has been horrendous, so today will be her first day on the bike in the hope that it'll cut her commute to uni down by a good margin.

Anyway - to the point .. I have a V46 (I think? .. might be a 56) Givi monokey top box that I took off my old Honda, and wondered if it'd be suitable for this bike? I _think_ that it might be a bit too big, and the BMW dealer kind of agrees (or the other way around) but I've seen some sites selling 52 litre boxes for the F800, albeit they're different manufacturers and not Givi. I obviously don't want to endanger my daughter, but I'd love to get some more use out of the top box - can anyone point me at a definitive source for whether this box will fit & be suitable for the bike?

If the answer to the 'will it be safe' is a 'no', then I'm after a full luggage set for a 2018 F800R - has anyone got one stuck down the back of the sofa that they don't need anymore?

All the monkey mounts are the same so it?ll definitely fit.

I don?t see why it wouldn?t be suitable (unless she?s going to be commuting with 3 bags of sand in there?) I wonder if the dealer had a really nice bmw box he thought would do the trick?

The F800?s are more than capable to carry 2 full grown men, bit too snuggly imo but it would definitely work in a pinch.

The only reason I can think for her to want a smaller one is if she?s only carrying something small it may seem redundant to have such a large box?

I like a big topbox so you can stick your helmet and jacket in there and not have to carry them about with you.

I did once overload my old VFR750 with 3 givi boxes loaded to the max for a trip to London and this made the steering very light, wasn?t a good feeling so I left the top box and made my ex carry a large back pack to bring the weight forward.

*monokey mounts not monkey mounts. Damn autocorrect

Last edited:
I like the sound of monkey mounts.. dunno why.. inner perv perhaps. I have the monokey mount but its a Honda fitment, so I guess I'll need the Givi monokey -> Bmw rack adapter or some such faff-work ..

Just remembered the R doesn?t have a carrier on the back, I was thinking of the back of a gt. So you?d either need the givi specific mount or possibly another aftermarket rack and then bolt the givi plate to that.

I imagine the givi kit will be quite pricey.

What about soft luggage? You can get a large tail pack to throw over the back seat.

It might be worth looking at Kappa racks as they?re made in the same factory as givi but they?re cheaper!

4777d55c5f399c6f2e6cb1e06b6356a6.png

Ah, my bad .. its the R sport with the 2 'packs' so she's got a full luggage grid and centre stand etc. The rack will take the BMW specific top box, but to use anyone else's you need a specific adapter plate. The soft luggage is a good option - I'm sure I've got a roll top Oxford bag somewhere for now.

Ah, my bad .. its the R sport with the 2 'packs' so she's got a full luggage grid and centre stand etc. The rack will take the BMW specific top box, but to use anyone else's you need a specific adapter plate. The soft luggage is a good option - I'm sure I've got a roll top Oxford bag somewhere for now.

Oh right, well if it?s got the bmw rack then the givi plates come with some long bolts and wavy brackets so you can basically fit them to anything?

Like this one on this RT, it?s not a bike specific mount it just bolts on to anything.

a94023c9004c6caf106aefb6b70afdef.jpg

I'll go dig the old top box out as I'm sure I've kept the plate and fixings inside it to keep them in the same place. I just need to find the key :)

Ta for the help.

Latest posts

Back