Ffs

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huge

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Photo 14-10-2018, 11 31 54.jpg
-
Been ages since I bust a windscreen. Obviously the best thing to do is replace, but it's got forward facing radar tech up by the mirror so it'll cost a bomb as may have to get done by the garage. Don't wanna trash the warranty getting a similar bunch of muppets who I watched do a neighbours car recently. I wouldn't let them empty the ashtray. If it was just me driving, I'd leave it and monitor, but the boss says she's worried going on a long week away with it soon.
-
Any thoughts guys?

It needs replacing as its a bloody big crack but it's not going to drop out if that what's she's worried about. I've got a rain/light sensor by the mirror on my car, it's pretty common place for mobile windscreen repairers to do that kind of job nowadays, I've had no problems with two windscreens I've had replaced by Autoscreens, just double check they've reconnected everything before they leave.

Normally insurance covers this and to be honest the gadgets on the car won?t make much difference to cost as they look through it. It?s just heated or non heated due to the elements or reflective coatings.
I don?t know your car but front end radar will be in nose by the radiator. I suspect you have traffic sign recognition or rain detection. I have a company car with all that and have at least a couple of windshields a year. Best bit is you?ll be amazed at how many types of windshields are fitted to what looks like the same car. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh, your insurance will have a windscreen excess. Its usually around ?100. Just ring em and have a lovely new expensive windscreen installed by the dealer and pay the excess. That crack will be all the way across the surface in 24/48 hours.

Thanks guys. As EVER, great advice on this forum, your info and background was most re-assuring.
Quote-me-happy website was simple. Autoglas coming on Friday.
-
It reminds me of the first time I had a windscreen go on me. Dad was driving and I was in short trousers. The whole windscreen turned into a sheet of white, a hail of glass inside everywhere inside the car, I know I had short trousers because I can remember my legs being covered in the glass balls.
The glass balls weren't sharp and the whole shebang stayed in place sagging with a laminate. Ye-gods technology has REALLY improved, Lol.
-
I remember my dad winding down the side window VERY FAST, leaning out to see to get the car pulled over. He cut it out and off we went, LRDG stylee (WW2 SAS desert dudes) everyone with sunglasses on. The whole deal was so exciting.

Last edited:
I had an old windscreen go on me in my first car, a Vauxhall Chevette, in shitty brown. The heater didnt work and it was winter, **** me it was cold driving around looking for a garage. I was halfway to London from Oxford and no idea what to do but I found a place eventually. The garage owner quoted me something like ?150 for the excess, to have the windscreen delivered to him and fitted in a couple of hours. Back then I was doing well to have ?20 to my name. However I needed to get to my destination (promise of a shag from the very fit blonde receptionist at the head office I used to visit who had been prick teasing me for weeks), so despite a seriously large, unapproved overdraft, I pulled out my cheque book and said to go ahead. The garage owner insisted I call up my bank branch to confirm I was good for the cheque, so I did. The bank manager (after some harsh words about the state of my current account) told me absolutely no chance, so I smiled, put down the phone and said we were good to proceed. Needs must.

A few hours later the new windscreen got fitted and I got to London. The girl I was supposed to be meeting had got bored waiting for me and gone home so I never got the shag. Sorry for boring all of you, its a memory brought back by the topic. Happy days.

Excellent story !... so that shitty brown chevette... I had a shitty brown Maxi 1850, what a squib that was... Soof I bet the screen cost more than the car was worth..so what happened when the cheque stoated (bounced) as we say up here ? ..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It didnt bounce, I had a cheque guarantee card lol. I think the bank penalty charges on top of the windscreen was twice what I paid for the car.

Two weeks later the engine seized and blew up on a dual carriageway. I drifted to a layby and got a pal to come and collect me. Came back the next morning with a recovery truck and the car was already on bricks, sold it for scrap, think I got ?40 ;).

Then I bought a canary yellow mini metro that was rusted to shit so badly I had to drive around with the windows open due to the exhaust fumes coming up through the rotten floorpan. I had to hotwire it every day after some scroat tried to steal it, but thats a whole other story lol.

I love these old car tales - Mine was a mini (classic) ORA 959M .. I was 16, no test, tax, insurance etc.. Drove it all the way from Sheffield back to Barnsley with the right hand indicator on :) Got a shoe-ing from my dad for being a dick and ended up selling it after months of it being sat I the garden for ?5 less than I paid.

A few cars later I was in a Senator 2.5 automatic with a dodgy heater matrix. When the car got hot and you accelerated, the hole in the heater would pop, instantly filling the air vents with stupidly hot water and steaming the car up, whilst simultaneously pissing hot water onto your feet/ankles.

bypass hose.jpg
It didnt bounce, I had a cheque guarantee card lol. I think the bank penalty charges on top of the windscreen was twice what I paid for the car.

Two weeks later the engine seized and blew up on a dual carriageway. I drifted to a layby and got a pal to come and collect me. Came back the next morning with a recovery truck and the car was already on bricks, sold it for scrap, think I got ?40 ;).

Then I bought a canary yellow mini metro that was rusted to shit so badly I had to drive around with the windows open due to the exhaust fumes coming up through the rotten floorpan. I had to hotwire it every day after some scroat tried to steal it, but thats a whole other story lol.

Haha...you've come a long way in life my friend with where you are and what you're running about in now....

Here's another old car tale circa 1985 .. I'm sure I told this before, but maybe not the circus surrounding it..it's worth repeating !

I was quiet in the garage one day and the boss was away somewhere (he was a right bastard of a guy, he hated me and everyone else for that matter, just a horrible guy..one of them).... anyhow I decided to engage in an immediately sackable offence.....I reckoned I could do the the radiator bypass hose in my 1000cc Mini...R Reg in Jig time..... it's a total bastard of a job...BTW the rad bypass hose is about 2.5 inches long and sits between the head and block, it is just about possible to do in situ, but is miles easier if you whip off the head...THE CLOCK WAS TICKING ... I had a gasket set and cracked on with my apprentice keeping the edge..made that good time I decided to pull the valves and give the head and ports a good clean, ground the valves with course then fine paste, cleaned all the surfaces... by this time I'm shiting myself, apprentice made some calls to find out where the f uck he was..still all good... rattled everything together, wiped the engine down, slammed bonnet shut and ran car outside...all told maybe 1.5 hours or something like that...GRAND !.

Something like 20 minutes later Idi Amin Rolls in in his Black XR41i... just fuckin made it... Phew...

Anyhow smiling like a lottery winner driving home the car started to run slower and slower... checked the temp gauge.. it was either at Zero or off the scale I can't remember.. pulled over to this horrendous burning smell...

I was shiting myself that much I had completely forgotten to top up the water and fried the poor wee thing ! It was at that time when i realised..if anyone is going to get caught it's me one way or another !

2.5 inches of hell...

Last edited:
Back