Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honda CB500 race bike

Riding
    1299s

Re: Honda CB500 race bike

Damn autocorrect. “ The missus appeared after lunch”.....

parking wont be an issue where I live, the joys of being in the middle of nowhere, cracking roads on my doorstep as well but far away from 99% of the places you want to go.
    2011 S1000rr sport - out
    2015 Ducati 1299 Panigale S - in

Riding
    1299s

Trying to keep my mate in sight, he passes on the outlap on the backstraight (675r) until I had to go into reserve.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fNs4rLxg6Jo

Camera gave up the ghost later on so 4 best laps from when I was out. 1:04:60/1:04:80 & the wet times are 1:13:50/1:12:33

As time went on I managed a 1:09 when it was still proper wet and then 1:06 when it was slightly better but still wet. Iím fairly certain with a full dry day and more time my dry time would drop another 2 secs to 1:02

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eA4z77z6JQU
    2011 S1000rr sport - out

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wull For This Useful Post:

Oli

Riding
    1299s

A few of the cb500 race guys from Scotland decided to book this and head down. Initially I wasn’t going to as my last day at Knockhill was meant to be the last of the season but thought “what the heck” and went with it.

Wallace, Ross and I headed down on Thursday in the van as we had booked the Red Lion just along the road from Oulton Park. I think we arrived at 20:00 so grabbed some food and headed to bed.

Up early, all excited, grabbed breakfast then headed along and got set up in garage 13/14 iirc.

Sighting laps done then open session for the rest of the day. Track conditions were damp to begin with but a drying line soon appeared, still damp in some areas especially the ones mentioned during the briefing, this was my first time at Oulton so I don’t know the corner names except for a few but I felt I quickly got to grips with the track and was doing not too bad.

I love the place, what a track, I can imagine how physically demanding it would be on a bigger bike. Knockhill is the only track I’ve ever ridden so you can imagine how much of a difference this was to me, I felt I learnt it quickly though.

My favourite section is Druids, I love that section, it’s all good but that was my favourite. My GoPro gave up the ghost again so no footage, I originally thought the issue was the sd card but after purchasing a new card I’m now convinced it’s the camera that’s goosed.

After lunch the track was perfect, still some damp looking areas but perfectly dry in others, towards the end my brake pads were needing replaced as the feedback from the brake lever was worrying, but we couldn’t get the pin cover out, the flathead screw bit was chewed so that was my day done, I could’ve used Ross’s bike for another outing but tbh I was goosed, it’s hard going in comparison to Knockhill, I was pleased with the track time I got.

2011 S1000rr sport - out

Riding
    1299s

2011 S1000rr sport - out

Riding
    1299s

The only salvageable footage because of a dying GoPro 3+

This was from before lunch, still learning the track but conditions at this point were pretty decent, still damp but a nice dry line. Times after lunch came down considerably and as per usual some great battles with bigger bikes but no footage to look back on.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8TTDHNV4ggY
    2011 S1000rr sport - out

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wull For This Useful Post:

That looks badass. I always remember the first time sharing a practice session with the CB500 racers. The corner speed they were running around the big corner at Snetterton was immense.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Monners For This Useful Post: