Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Donington Decent Times?

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

Re: Donington Decent Times?

I think Rick was saying he did Extremely Quick

- Alex
    Last edited by alex; 11th October 2018 at 09:29 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to alex For This Useful Post:

I didn't mean I could out perform the tyres by any stretch just to be clear, I just think it would be the next notch of confidence for me. I felt through the corners I wasn't a huge amount slower that most people in the group, but 'lost' most of my time by braking too early and being a little slow on the power, along with improving my lines a bit.

I'm thinking of supercorsa's next, although may invest in some slicks for a trip out to Spain.

wear pattern looks nice.

Quote Originally Posted by r25sti View Post
    wear pattern looks nice.
    Thanks!
    Dropped down to 29psi cold on the rear and it felt a little better, I was at 31psi previously.

Quote Originally Posted by RickS1K View Post
    What is the limit with M7RRs? I did 'extremely quick' times with them...
    1.38?

I got 1.33 around Croft a few years ago m7rr but they were more capable than that, TBH probably by 4/5 seconds in a top riders hands but did feel like a road tyre not a race sticky tyre,,

I raced on M7RR at Snetterton in the first round in March this year because of the cold temperatures and intermittent weather. I guess I was maybe two or three seconds off my normal race pace but they were definitely the right choice for me and they handle the work well. Guys of a similar level on slicks were faster in the dry but they were going down like dominos every time there was a rain shower whereas I had no problems at all on the M7RR. It might be just the cool conditions but they didn't start over heating or going mega squidgy like most road tyres do when pushed hard either, they just kept doing there thing without any issues and way more grip in the damp.
    You can see there were no heroics going on and I was glad to get back to slicks at the next round but I'll definitely be using M7RR again at the first round next year and would have used them at Donny last week if I wasn't injured.

IMG_5717.JPG
    Last edited by Monners; 12th October 2018 at 08:46 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monners For This Useful Post:

When I first test rode a S1000RR I got a hire bike for the weekend and went from London home to Cornwall in horrific weather in February. It was absolutely tipping it down and blowing a gale and the M7RR worked really well. It was actually this capability that sold the bike to me as I was looking for something that could handle any conditions but wanted something I could track as well. This was me suiting up for the five hour trip home!

RainCornwall.jpgRainCornwall2.jpg
    Last edited by Monners; 12th October 2018 at 08:53 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monners For This Useful Post:

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

Would you not consider the Racetec RR K3 then? Or the new Corsa 2's? Or the Dunlop TT's. All of these are road tyres with track bias...

(For early races)

- Alex
    Last edited by alex; 12th October 2018 at 09:22 AM.

The K3 is like a Supercorsa SP, they work well enough in the wet to get by and be used on road bikes but they are still aimed at hot, dry conditions and not very safe in the cold and wet if you are pushing them. I've not compared the new Rosso Corsa 2 but I found the old one too square and road biased for using on track. Dunlop KR slicks are by far my favourite tyres other than being a bit more sensitive to temperature than the Metz or Pirellis but we can't use them in NoLimits championship. I've not used their street tyres but I hear they are similar in that they dont go off much as they wear out.

Bear in mind I was being cautious and didn't mind loosing a few seconds. There were guys out on slicks but loads were crashing through the weekend.
    Last edited by Monners; 12th October 2018 at 12:42 PM.