Clipons and clearance

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ukbmw

Reaction score
Ive got really long arms so im finding the standard bars a bit high.
Plus id like them further forwards but after just looking at my bike it would seem clearance could be an issue on the lock.
Has anyone tried this with the headlight still fitted?
Also i guess the heated grips could be a pain to change

Ive got really long arms so im finding the standard bars a bit high.
Plus id like them further forwards but after just looking at my bike it would seem clearance could be an issue on the lock.
Has anyone tried this with the headlight still fitted?
Also i guess the heated grips could be a pain to change

Dropped you a PM

After reading the review i think ive got some thinking to do. It seems like alot of agro and i need my steering lock to work.

You won't lose your steering lock at all with clipons, especially the Renthals, I have them on mine and use the steering lock all the time, also no clearance issues at all, on road or track

You won't lose your steering lock at all with clipons, especially the Renthals, I have them on mine and use the steering lock all the time, also no clearance issues at all, on road or track
Have you tried renthals with the headlight fitted? It looks like that would be the closest point

With regard to OEM bodywork, clearance issues arise when you reduce pull back, i.e. position the bars wider than stock.
If you do this you will need to fit bump stops and modify the steering lock in order to continue using it.
If you simply mimic a stock like placement than you?ll have no issues at all.

- Oli

Last edited:
With regard to OEM bodywork, clearance issues arise when you reduce pull back, i.e. position the bars wider than stock.
If you do this you will need to fit bump stops and modify the steering lock in order to continue using it.
If you simply mimic a stock-like placement than you?ll have no issues at all.

- Oli

Further to the above post and my full review of the process, the attached photos illustrate the clearance issue (that is avoided through the use of bump stops).

b322d834d626e1a812387c0a1d46f75c.jpg

Photo 1. Left hand bar.

0d21e382e2c6361d5f5318944e7a8b2c.jpg

Photo 2. Right hand bar

It is important to note that the way in which bars (like rearsets) are placed is largely dependent on height and skeletal structure, for example a slender framed 5 ft 8? gentleman will require a vastly different ergonomic setup than a > 6 ft large frame gentleman.

It is essential to be aware of the desired bar placement when considering after market clip-ons so as to avoid undue headache down the line lol

- Oli

Last edited:
Thanks for info. Im 6 foot 4 so like my bars lower and further forwards.
I tried lowering standard clipons but the pin comes out of the yokes. Do the renthals even have a pin?

Thanks for info. Im 6 foot 4 so like my bars lower and further forwards.
I tried lowering standard clipons but the pin comes out of the yokes. Do the renthals even have a pin?
No they do not.
Also consider standard switchgear requires drillable clipons.

- Alex

Ive just recieved my new renthal clipons through the post. The first thing i see is a sticker on the ends of the bars saying do not drill or modify. Thin wall race bars.
Have i brought the wrong ones as i got to drill the throttle etc..

Yes, unless you change switchgear etc. There is no other Gen3 option from Renthal.

Lightech, PP-Tuning (which I have), Alpha are all drillable if memory serves.

- Alex

The reason i brought them was because id heard of them fitted to s1000 before. I had no idea they were not supposed to be drilled.

Clip-ons

It?s pretty much standard practice to drill aftermarket clip-ons when fitting them to a S1000RR.

For what it is worth, I?ve had absolutely no issues with my drilled Renthal Gen 3 clip-ons, used considerably over some particular rough roads with a heffer on top.

Whilst I and many others feel it is simply Renthal protecting themselves, do whatever you feel comfortable with [emoji846]

- Oli

Clip-ons

Just make sure that you drill them in the right place and you will be fine.

Back