Poor Rear brake

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz93

Reaction score
Is it just my 16' plate or are all s1000rr rear brake poor?? Now I know some of you track lads are gonna say "Do it usr back brake" but I find it a bit like a comfort blanket when running into a corner a little hot.. just a bit of rear trail brake seems to ease things out.. but I can't even get mine to lock up ... it just seems very poor.. I'm 2nd owner and it had 6400 on when I got it 2 weeks ago and I've done 900 miles since.. does it need stripping and greasing up???

It does have abs so shouldn't lock!
I find it needs a little warmth and some pad material on disc in order to bite.

You could try a different pad?

- Alex

@alex yeah im guessimg previous owner probably didnt use it.. maybe needs running in a little... can you remove caliper without taking rear wheel off??? I was thinking of giving pads a rub in case they've glazed over

@alex yeah im guessimg previous owner probably didnt use it.. maybe needs running in a little... can you remove caliper without taking rear wheel off??? I was thinking of giving pads a rub in case they've glazed over
The axle has to come out to release it.

- Alex

Mine is crap too - tried cleaning it new pads and fluid - but still rubbish
don't be tempted to take too much slack out of the MC adjuster as for some reason the brake will bind after a short distance
if you find a cure let us know!

I'm due a set of tires shortly.. so when I've got back wheel out I'll have a look and see what pads and slider and piston is like.. I'll get back to you @Mike g

Bleeding the rear brake might help. Mine was very poor and I found out that air was in the system.

As a boring old fart I use the back brake all the time. It tends to balance the bike and help me defy gravity!

Most of us do use it without realising as it?s a linked system, not sure if some modes disable it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a boring old fart I use the back brake all the time. It tends to balance the bike and help me defy gravity!

Most of us do use it without realising as it?s a linked system, not sure if some modes disable it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1, I use the rear brake at slow speed as provides far greater control.

The linked brakes are disabled in Slick mode, or ABS Slick within User mode

For slow traffic / maneuverability, the back brake is the only way forward......
Gravel or a lose surface, the back brake gives so much more control.
When moving between cars gives so much more control - try it... it get's taking used to, but sooooo much more control!!!

+1, I use the rear brake at slow speed as provides far greater control.

The linked brakes are disabled in Slick mode, or ABS Slick within User mode

Is it just my 16' plate or are all s1000rr rear brake poor?? Now I know some of you track lads are gonna say "Do it usr back brake" but I find it a bit like a comfort blanket when running into a corner a little hot.. just a bit of rear trail brake seems to ease things out.. but I can't even get mine to lock up ... it just seems very poor.. I'm 2nd owner and it had 6400 on when I got it 2 weeks ago and I've done 900 miles since.. does it need stripping and greasing up???

Hi, I used to race and I use my rear brake all the time! I agree the rear is crap. If you have the std wheels, the hub is too big fit a 2 piston calliper so the only upgrades you can do is better pads and a larger rear master cylinder. I run DP rear pads and that made a big difference. Enough to lock the rear wheel, but doesn't have the power of my other modified bikes. The std rear M/C is 13mm so you can go to 14 or 15 or 16. Various previous BMW models have run 14 & 15mm, 16mm are guzzi's. I went up 2mm on my Ducati and that is monstrous.

Hope that helps, Jamie

I use the rear brake a lot on the road - in town & filtering as said above - but not really much on track. It might be worth checking if your rear piston has seized up. Mine had got progressively weaker & the caliper had seized. Freeing it up and new pads sorted it out.

Last edited:
Hi guys just resurrecting this thread....my rear is not working at all unless I pump it a good 20 or so times first and when I do I see air bubbling up the reservoir tube. I’ve bled it multiple times until the air is gone and it then works but try it again next day and back to square one. Do you think the seals are knackered and letting air in or any advice please? I was thinking I might just need to swap it out but I don’t realky use it on track so a bit of a waste just to have something there in case I need it.

Yes Alex I messaged a firm about a seal kit and turns out not available so it’s a swap out.

Hi guys just resurrecting this thread....my rear is not working at all unless I pump it a good 20 or so times first and when I do I see air bubbling up the reservoir tube. I’ve bled it multiple times until the air is gone and it then works but try it again next day and back to square one. Do you think the seals are knackered and letting air in or any advice please? I was thinking I might just need to swap it out but I don’t realky use it on track so a bit of a waste just to have something there in case I need it.

problem with the rear when bleeding them is the lines usually arch up,so the highest point is above the m/c+caliper,thats where the air settles and can be a real pain to get out without a proper bleed vacuum.easiest way (i've found at least) is to remove rear caliper,hang it so it's the highest part of the system,put something inbetween the pads and then bleed as usual,the air tends to rise up and out the bleed nipple then.

Thanks guys there is no weeping visible around the line or bleed nipple so I’ll try removing the caliper and bleeding as suggested ��

I know I started this thread. But since owning this RR I've totaly changed my way of riding. For 30 years I've been trail braking my bikes into corners using rear brake and wheelying them as much as possible on every ride out.. now all that has stopped.. no more trail braking or mono action.. I must be getting all sensible in my old age ( 50 last week) ������

Try to bleed the brakes with GS911/BMW tool . I think you have air in the system and with ABS you need to cycle the ABS pump to completely bleed the system. I had the same problem...

Back