Removing restrictions

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run the full akra for the 15-18 on my 17.
With the dbKiller in I pass at all UK circuits without issue. I don't bother without it because the 2hp its robbing isn't an issue.

I take baffle out for Euro trip and Donington 108 days.

With the full system some 8kgs or more lighter than the oem setup, its the easiest way to lose weight.

- Alex

What baffle do you use, I may need one for my Akrapovic slip on

I put a full titanium acrapovic system on and had the ecu mapped by bmw, it not only gives the bike a huge improvement with acceleration especially mid range, it also opens up suspension settings on the dash so you can alter them a lot easier and on the move.
it is definitely a massive improvement and worth every penny

I put a full titanium acrapovic system on and had the ecu mapped by bmw, it not only gives the bike a huge improvement with acceleration especially mid range, it also opens up suspension settings on the dash so you can alter them a lot easier and on the move.
it is definitely a massive improvement and worth every penny
What suspension settings?

Slip on doesnt need one.

I have a full system

- Alex

The slip on has a different size baffle in than most akras.
Ive got one fitted in my slip on just to try it and it bolts in but its smaller than the hole so doesnt seal properly.
It does make it quieter so this could be the answer.
Its not so restrictive having a gap round it

Rather than going into setup mode the settings can be changed on the main screen

Exhausts
As you already have the official slip-on, I would get the optional Akrapovic headers. MHP exhausts can extend the Akrapovic baffle should you require a quieter setup for track-days.

Tuning
If you have a 15/16 model year Gen 3 then you can use any of the leading fuel modules. If you have a 17/18 model year Gen 3 then your best option is a RapidBike Race module, as to-date this is the only product that is fully compatible with the Euro4 generation bikes.
I personally would not consider ECU flashing if your bike is in warranty. Even when you?re out of warranty, from a fuelling perspective nothing beats live custom mapping on a dyno.

Mods
IMO if you do install a full system, I would recommend removing the servo motors and the secondary air system. The former can be completely removed via 2x Servo Buddies, the latter requires block off plates from the likes of Alpha Racing et al.

The flat spot is due to lean fuelling as a result of emissions restrictions.
The speedo tops out at 186 mph. But the actual top speed is entirely due to gearing, so there?s no need to worry about 6th gear RPM limits

- Oli

Thanks for the info Oli. Do you know how much weight loss is just from the akro titanium header pipes? Do you get a comparable weight loss and power increase/smooth out from a slip on and link pipe to get rid of the cats?

Thanks for the info Oli. Do you know how much weight loss is just from the akro titanium header pipes? Do you get a comparable weight loss and power increase/smooth out from a slip on and link pipe to get rid of the cats?

The titanium headers for a 17/18 model year RR save 6.6 Kg vs the OEM headers. The equivalent stainless-steel headers save 5.3 Kg.
For a 15/16 model year RR, the stainless-steel headers save 2 Kg vs the OEM headers. The titanium headers are not listed on the Akrapovic website, but I would be surprised if they are no longer available. One would assume the weight saving would be a further ~ 1.3 Kg vs the steel.

The best option is undoubtedly a full system, however, a cheaper option is to simply purchase the stainless-steel Akrapovic headers and keep the OEM silencer. As far as smoothing out the power delivery it?s mostly due to lean fuelling as a result of emissions compliance, so a fuel controller makes quite a difference in this regard.
If you have a 15/16 model, it is possible to cut out the cat from the OEM system. @bananaman did this and was pleased with the results

- Oli

Thanks for that, do those headers replace the oem headers and the cat assembly? 2kg doesn't seem like much of a saving if I'm removing the cat? I've already got an Akro slip on so assuming that buying the stainless headers would give me a complete system? I've had several titanium Akro headers crack on my Panigale and Yamaha R6 and had to replace them with the stainless ones so those will be the ones for me.

My race bike had the bmw HP software and a mivv full system. Used to blow 99db with no baffle. Only had to fit a baffle once in the 2 years I had it which was at croft where it passed static but failed the drive by.

as above regarding the MIVV system,and they are made to run with the standard ECU fueling (according to website) so no need to get a different map put on the bike.
got a full system for sale as it happens ;)

Agree - just enable suspension setting on the move from the menu!!!!
Well I fitted the chip under the seat and now I have user mode and I can adjust suspension settings on the move from the main screen. I did it tonight.

Yesterday i stepped straight off my standard 2003 r1 onto the s1000rr. First impressions is wheres the grunt.
The s1000rr has nothing like the grunt off the bottom compared to the old r1.
Pulling away on the r1 is so easy due to the instant wave if torque.
Obviously it doesnt have anywhere near the top end power of the bm.
But the bm throttle is too soft off of tickover.
It kind of bogs down for a fraction before it picks up.
I found the only way to get a good pull off from junctions was to give it some revs and slip the clutch a tiny bit to stop the bogging.
Cant be ideal for the clutch though? Or maybe the clutches are built with this in mind?
Id really like to know if i can get my throttle remapped to come on stronger from 0%
Who is the best person to speak to?

I had an '03 R1 from new, wish I'd never sold it, one if the best bikes I've owned, I could have saved thousands over the years. I know what you mean about the S1K at low revs, you just have to compensate.

Back