Removing restrictions

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ukbmw

Reaction score
I would like to know how best to tune my gen3.
Its just got the optional akrapovic from bmw otherwise its standard.
Im new to bmw scene so i got alot of learning to do!
Firstly i do the occasional trackday so if i definately need a full system it must pass noise tests.
Secondly do i need power commander as well as an ecu reflash or can the fueling be set in the ecu?
What are the restrictions on the bike?
Im presuming intake flap. Exhaust flap. Cat in exhaust. Top speed limiter??
The bikes definately got a flat spot in the midrange of the power curve

Exhausts
As you already have the official slip-on, I would get the optional Akrapovic headers. MHP exhausts can extend the Akrapovic baffle should you require a quieter setup for track-days.

Tuning
If you have a 15/16 model year Gen 3 then you can use any of the leading fuel modules. If you have a 17/18 model year Gen 3 then your best option is a RapidBike Race module, as to-date this is the only product that is fully compatible with the Euro4 generation bikes.
I personally would not consider ECU flashing if your bike is in warranty. Even when you?re out of warranty, from a fuelling perspective nothing beats live custom mapping on a dyno.

Mods
IMO if you do install a full system, I would recommend removing the servo motors and the secondary air system. The former can be completely removed via 2x Servo Buddies, the latter requires block off plates from the likes of Alpha Racing et al.

The flat spot is due to lean fuelling as a result of emissions restrictions.
The speedo tops out at 186 mph. But the actual top speed is entirely due to gearing, so there?s no need to worry about 6th gear RPM limits

- Oli

Last edited:
My thoughts have always been whats the point of full system if i got to fit a baffle. My zx10r was the same. I decatted it but kept getting black flagged for noise. I had to have it mapped with baffle fitted so didnt get full advantage of decat

Full System

To be honest you will need a baffle at most UK circuits with a full system fitted to a S1000RR. You won?t see a huge increase in power or torque with a full system as the OEM exhaust is very good as standard especially on the 2015/16 model. The main benefit is the reduction in weight. You could quite happily fit a slip-on and then add a fuel module to tune out the midrange flat spot. If you do opt for a full system then Arrow and Akrapovič are the two brands most commonly found on BMW SSTK and SBK bikes. There are however cheaper options out there.

I run the full akra for the 15-18 on my 17.
With the dbKiller in I pass at all UK circuits without issue. I don't bother without it because the 2hp its robbing isn't an issue.

I take baffle out for Euro trip and Donington 108 days.

With the full system some 8kgs or more lighter than the oem setup, its the easiest way to lose weight.

- Alex

Tuning

... They are saying the bike needs flashing as people not getting genuine gains from pc5.

This is is complete nonsense and typical of the comments found on the US Forum when it comes to aftermarket tuning and the lure of BHP figures. Tuners like Phil Crowe, HM Racing et al have all had great results using just a PCV.

To be honest you will need a baffle at most UK circuits with a full system fitted to a S1000RR. You won?t see a huge increase in power or torque with a full system as the OEM exhaust is very good as standard especially on the 2015/16 model. The main benefit is the reduction in weight. You could quite happily fit a slip-on and then add a fuel module to tune out the midrange flat spot. If you do opt for a full system then Arrow and Akrapovič are the two brands most commonly found on BMW SSTK and SBK bikes. There are however cheaper options out there.
Did brands gp last month and there was a s1000 with full titanium sytstem and no baffle which passed noise test and didnt get black flagged. So hoping i will be ok with cats still in

This is is complete nonsense and typical of the comments found on the US Forum when it comes to aftermarket tuning and the lure of BHP figures. Tuners like Phil Crowe, HM Racing et al have all had great results using just a PCV.
Ok. Its hard to know who to trust when it comes to tuning. Mss did my kawasaki and they were great. They were honest and gave me a genuine figure. I will see if they can do my bmw

Noise Testing

If you have an Akrapovič slip-on fitted in combination with the OEM downpipes/catalyst you should be fine at most UK circuits. That said it?s always worth taking a baffle with you just in case.

If you have an Akrapovič slip-on fitted in combination with the OEM downpipes/catalyst you should be fine at most UK circuits. That said it?s always worth taking a baffle with you just in case.
Ok thanks

Tuners

Ok. Its hard to know who to trust when it comes to tuning. Mss did my kawasaki and they were great. They were honest and gave me a genuine figure. I will see if they can do my bmw

There are plenty of good tuners in the UK especially when it comes to BMWs. Those that have proven race, and tuning experience, at National level (SSTK, BSB) are typically the most reputable and usually come well recommended.

My de-cat ('15) was to replace the inline cats with straight through tubes, this way it kept standard headers which are proven and the butterfly for noise testing. Always read 97/98 static. PC5 and dyno'd brought great results. and cheap way of doing it.

Have you got any dyno graphs? Mine feels like its got dips in the power curve

Dyno Power Run

Your best off having a power run done on a Dyno. This will identify exactly where your bike is experiencing any dips across it?s power curve.

Is there any way to make the throttle more responsive? Its the exact opposite of snappy. You have to twist it a fair way to get it to go some

Is there any way to make the throttle more responsive? Its the exact opposite of snappy. You have to twist it a fair way to get it to go some

What mode are you in?

Engine in Slick mode provides the closest to a 1:1 response.
If this is still insufficient, the only other option is to purchase the HP4 Race quick-action throttle, though you?d loose the heated grips in the process

- Oli

Typical conservative Germans, they should have taken the opportunity to get Japanese style snatchy throttle response when they did the Euro 4 mods, hopefully they'll sort it on the '19 bike ;)

Last edited:
Ive tried all modes. Didnt seem to make it any better.
The funny thing is ive been put off fly by wire from the others ive ridden that have terrible throttle feel and the aprilia takes the prize for the most terrible snatchy throttle you can buy.
So i finally get a s1000rr but the throttle is far less responsive than most my previous bikes ive owned. Its too soft and gentle.
Dont get me wrong the bikes a missile but its like the first quarter of throttle doesnt do much

Maybe you just need to get used to it and compensate a bit before resorting to changing it?

Back