all year round tires

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Power RS for me. Tried a few “all year” tyres over the last 23,000 miles & these are the best for my commute, Sunday blast & occasional track day.

Don?t forget the m7rr?s, good in the wet/cold and fine on the track too. Profile is sporty enough, but not ideal, but very good compromise.I?d have no problem riding to a cold and wet trackday on them.
http://44teeth.com/wet-weather-skids/

Getting a set fitted this week. Looking forward to seeing how they are against the S21?s. This will be my first set of Metzlers.

Can?t complain about Bridgestone performance over the last year and would try the new S22?s after the M7RR .
Compared with the Michelin RP I?ve had, the S21& 20 both wear evenly front and rear. Grip has been good in all conditions on the road and it?s only in the last mm of wear that they?ve turned vague tipping in.

The M7RR have a lot to live up to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting a set fitted this week. Looking forward to seeing how they are against the S21’s. This will be my first set of Metzlers.

Can’t complain about Bridgestone performance over the last year and would try the new S22’s after the M7RR .
Compared with the Michelin RP I’ve had, the S21& 20 both wear evenly front and rear. Grip has been good in all conditions on the road and it’s only in the last mm of wear that they’ve turned vague tipping in.

The M7RR have a lot to live up to.

Let us know how you get on with them, I was impressed, couldn’t really find fault with them as an all rounder, but the profile is not as exciting as the k3’s or Diablo’s on track. But, for the road ideal. And they lasted really well on track too with loads of grip. It’s was just that last bit of lean that I thought, no....no more, not sure about this! But, they never let me down.

First ride today on the M7RRs and in mixed conditions.
Indicated temp was 9?c and roads ranged from damp and greasy to just damp. Perfect for scrubbing in a new front and rear.
From the off they definitely felt quicker to turn in than the Bridgestone, but still very stable. Although I only explored Rory Reid levels of lean they impressed me and seemed to warm up quickly. They felt warm to the touch after a 30 mile ride at road legal speeds. Something I hadn?t found last weekend on the S21?s.

Roll on some drier conditions.

When I was running M7RR's I didn't like the feel from the front - I just didn't have the confidence in them compared to say a Supercorsa or Racetec K3 - which I suppose is understandable given the difference in construction / tread.

When I was running M7RR's I didn't like the feel from the front - I just didn't have the confidence in them compared to say a Supercorsa or Racetec K3 - which I suppose is understandable given the difference in construction / tread.

I?ve never tried K3?s and only heard good things about them. My experience with supercorsa in cold UK weather was that they took forever to warm up and didn?t hold heat for long either. A mixture that I found didn?t inspire confidence with spirited riding on winter roads.

Just had a set of Michelin Road 5?s fitted, shall hopefully scrub them in tomorrow afternoon.

First impressions though, they look like a sort of hiking boot/trail tyre hybrid lol.
Steering is light, as in true sports tyre light, but still progressive.

fbce639f23e9045448d7852e636287ad.jpg

- Oli

500 miles in with Pilot road 5's and I like them.

Those 500 miles have been nasty wet & greasy plus 2 snowy days with all the cagers constantly trying to kill me so quite a few heavy braking sessions involved :D

The tryes warm up pretty quickly and have given secure and confidence inspiring grip so far...

Conditions have not been conducive to working on the chicken strips sadly so can't comment on extreme lean performance yet ;)

With regard to Roadtec 01 vs PR5 I’ve been out today with my friend we are both on gen 3 S1000RR I have Roadtec he has PR5 both identical mileage on the tyres. When we parked up to stop for a break when I touched the tyres after a few minutes the PR5 were considerably warmer and even when we stopped after some spirited riding and touched both tyres straight away the PR5 seemed again to be warmer, we where both running the same pace however he is quite a bit heavier than me so I’m not sure if that made a difference. Both tyres were fantastic today and we had no moments with some spirited riding especially for this time of year and conditions, there’s no way I would ride a sports tyre in that way I just wouldn’t have the confidence of the grip we were not carrying massive lean angle but still hitting 39 degrees. This is my third set of Roadtec albeit on a different bike and they have been great however I think PR5 next time. I’m out again on Sunday and my other friend has PR5 and is lighter than me so it will be interesting to see if the PR5 are generating more heat again as we will be running similar pace again.

Interesting CJ.
I?ve got PR5?s on mine and they?re brilliant. Well behaved in the worst rain I?ve ever ridden in (northern Spain last year) zero moments ever since. I was doing similar lean angles earlier this week on a fast early morning ride and you can tell there?s plenty more in the bag.
I?ve got a set of half used Rosso3?s in the garage that I?m gonna take to the next track day and will report back a direct comparison with the PR5?s.
Might never go back...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Power RS are great...very broad performance, confidence inspiring. Found they cold tear on track if the track temps are not high.
Surely cold tear is not a tyre problem, but running pressure/rear suspension settings.

Surely cold tear is not a tyre problem, but running pressure/rear suspension settings.

It's all the parts together. The R11 wear was the same but less extreme due to warmers...you've ignored carcass movement and compound differences across different tyres/brands. Yes I could have chased the cold tear but I know the temps dropped and I would be chasing my tail. More weight on the read through holding the rebound down would have changed it a bit but most of the issue was caused in the last run and a half.

With the Power RS I didn't have warmers. I set the pressure to the minimum and increased rebound...over the day. But ultimately I wasn't the only one with Michelins's having the same issue on that day. The *surface* compound was getting super heated round corners like Corum and Williams but the carcass overall wasn't warm enough to get the heat in to the whole tyre to stop the tearing. Other tyres on the same track and in similar conditions survived just fine.

Suspension loads and Carcass flex have to work together and in certain circumstances a tyre just cannot be made to work.
At the end of the day I was talking to someone with Michelin Ultimtes on and he had been in touch with their tech dept...they recommended lowering the pressures well below the advertised levels...

So;
Compound
Pressure
Carcass
Suspension
Geometry
are all involved and the trick is knowing which one to compromise to not ruin another parts of the ride.

Understood.

It all makes sense. The worrying bit is UK representative of Michelin telling you to go against what engineers have come up with.

This is why I love to use help from the guys like Dave Moss, who have tons of experience and are available for nothing to peasants like me. I bet all British SBS teams do have a well educated suspension guy, but unfortunately they are not available on the UK track days.
These days what you get at trackdays is ex-plumbers that take 1hr to swap the front rotors at Donny.

Interesting CJ.
I’ve got PR5’s on mine and they’re brilliant. Well behaved in the worst rain I’ve ever ridden in (northern Spain last year) zero moments ever since. I was doing similar lean angles earlier this week on a fast early morning ride and you can tell there’s plenty more in the bag.
I’ve got a set of half used Rosso3’s in the garage that I’m gonna take to the next track day and will report back a direct comparison with the PR5’s.
Might never go back...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Road 5's went to Brands hatch last week and not too shabby on track. Quite a different feel to the Rosso3's when pushing, I'm not sure what I felt, TBH (I've only ever track-crashed once and still can't work out why I low sided on the Rosso's). Unsurprisingly I didn't feel comfortable chucking her into corners with anything like the gusto of a track orientated tyre.

The Road 5 is a brilliant road tyre and I'll need a really good reason to go elsewhere for my day to day riding. It will be fine for novice and inters on track days.

Sorry I can't be any more revelatory. What I can say though is the Road 5's showed their all-round brilliance when I did a big trip over the weekend. I left on Saturday when it was cooking hot and was getting mid 40's lean angles. In the drizzle on the way home on Sunday it felt solid on those nasty greasy roads. Hooligan and copper in one weekend. That'll do me.

Back