Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: all year round tires

Riding
    S1000RR 2016 Race

all year round tires

First of all I'd like to apologise if people feel this has been covered to death...

But... ive just bought my first S1000RR , is a 2016 model. the tires are due for a change very soon...
    I ride all year round ( unless there's salt on roads, or temp drops below 4 degrees) , and in 25 years riding I have yet to do a track-day on a bike ( I work away and always seem to miss out when mates are on them. )

ive always ran Michelin pilot road's 2's , 3's & 4's on previous bikes ( 950 super-moto's , super-duke, Z1000, Multistrada 1200 ).

so im thinking pilot road 5's ?????? as they're the only PR's ive not ridden on. ive always ran Michelin tires ( just a confidence thing I guess ).
    or even the new "Power RS " ?????

whats your thoughts for a guy who rides all year round, regular sunday blasts out with mates, and do 280 mile B road commute from Teeside to Great Yamouth and back every 2 weeks ????

I don't ride like a fanny (otherwise I wouldn't of bought this missile ).

Loving the new bike by the way. even if I did get caught speeding on my first trip out on it.... luckily it was only 37 in a 30...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaz93 For This Useful Post:

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

Re: all year round tires

The Metzeler Roadtec 01 would be my default during the winter months, but mainly because I don't know what it's competitors are to list them.
    Pilot Roads are probably the same type of tyre.

Tyre confidence is all in your head, if you like Michelin and trust them I see no reason to change that. The Power RS is a great tyre, but I wouldn't run it below 5degC..same with most tyres in the same category.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to alex For This Useful Post:

Hey Gaz.
    I found the OEM tyres were really good when I got the RR new (S21 Bridgestones? Not sure). They didn't need to warm up as much as my current Rosso3's do (the R3's once warm are great). I really rated the road pilot 4's on my Speed Triple a few years ago, seemed to last forever, couldn't say how they'd fare on the RR. I'm expecting to put in a few miles over winter so I'm interested in the others suggestions on here. H

Riding
    2015 Motorsports

all year round tires

As Alex says the Metzeller RoadTech 01ís are a superb Sport-Touring tyre. Longevity and wet weather performance is top-not IMO.
    Compared with sportier tyres, you loose out on front end dry weather grip, but on the road it is in no way going to be an issue.
    As youíre a Michelin fan, I would recommend trying the new Road 5ís, as these are Michelinís competitor to the RoadTech 01ís.

If you wanted something sportier that is still a competent all-round option. Something like a Bridgestone S21, Metzeller M7RR of Pirelli Rosso 3 are great options too. I personally like the S21ís as think the front end is fantastic, through they will definitely not be as confidence inspiring as a Sport-Touring tyre in Autumn/Winter IMO.

Oh and one minor annoyance to note with all Sport-Touring tyres is that they are not available in a 200 profile rear

- Oli
    Last edited by Oli; 21st September 2018 at 02:37 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Oli For This Useful Post:

The roadtecs are not available with a 200 profile. Cant say I was overly impressed when I used a set, they were ok but when asking for that little bit extra they tended to start sliding around, I guess its down to how you ride. Ive used m7rrs and the rosso3s, both excellent all weather high performance but you will get less miles than out of the roadtecs. The PR4s I thought were an excellent compromise but again i dont think they come in a 200 profile.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to soofsayer For This Useful Post:

6' of techincal awesome FreudianSlip's Avatar
    Riding
    RR. '17, red/black

I've got the Roadtec 01's and personally find them brilliant (although I'm no #46) in all weathers (ice/snow excepted). I couldn't wait to take the factory Bridgestones off as I found them a bit nervous, however, I reckon the guys above are right by saying that it's all in your head. I had 01's on both my 2015 and the current 2017 bike, and have no hesitation in recommending them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FreudianSlip For This Useful Post:

2 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER Flyingscotsman's Avatar
    Riding
    S1k 2013 Black

Quote Originally Posted by FreudianSlip View Post
    I've got the Roadtec 01's and personally find them brilliant (although I'm no #46) in all weathers (ice/snow excepted). I couldn't wait to take the factory Bridgestones off as I found them a bit nervous, however, I reckon the guys above are right by saying that it's all in your head. I had 01's on both my 2015 and the current 2017 bike, and have no hesitation in recommending them.
    I can recommend the Metzeler Roadtecs 01s. They are a great road/touring tyre. They are very similar to Pilot Roads. I have used the Roadtecs on track & they held up well too. Compared to sportier Rosso3s, not so much grip on dry track. However I wouldn't want to use Rosso3s on a cold wet winter road where Roadtecs are fine.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Flyingscotsman For This Useful Post:

Riding
    S1000RR, 1299 Pan

I ride year round.
    Have used M7RRís for approx 4 yrs, and find them a great all rounder. Hold their profile well & get approx 4-5k miles out of a pair.
    Highly recommended.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rosso For This Useful Post:

I run M7RRís and love them on my 2014. If I were commuting on the bike (as i did on my old 2010 cbr1000rr) I would use the PR4/5 range again. Probably get 6-7k from a rear.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jjones For This Useful Post:

Riding
    S1000RR 2016 Race

it looks like its between the M7RR and Pilot Road 5's....... never ever ran Metzeler tires... ive always thought them as a cheap tire..
    think im a tire snob cos its always been Bridgestone or Michelin for me...