Exhaust upgrade to a GS / GSA

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huge

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Morning all. Anyone got an idea of what sort of problems I'd encounter with the idea of de-catting a new GS to get more power? One could obviously get a slip on but I imagine that wouldn't make much of an improvement. Is it even possible, or worth it? I'm gonna test the new 1250 soon as, and be good to know if there's a more horses hidden away.
Obviously getting a KTM 1290SA S would satisfy the need for speed, but I'm hearing all sorts about the downsides to an SA and buying a new KTM in general, which don't figure when buying a new BMW (at least with my local dealers).

If your priority is speed Hugh, the GSA might not be for you. The XR is a more potent bike with similar riding position.

I find my GSA great for riding around at legal speeds enjoying the ride, views and seeing more of the road with the elevated position with just a rare blast to get the cobwebs away.

I only have an Akra end can on mine and it's quick enough, if you are keeping your RR it will satisfy the speed demon in you, that's what my HP4 is for.

The WC GSA did little for me and I still prefer the 1200 TC due to its robustness, but the 1250 looks a mighty fine bike and I will be having one for a weekend to see the difference.

JimmyMac

Hi hugh, the cat is in the exhaust pipes under the bike. From memory the headers and pipework for the cat are all one piece right up to the end can so unless you get some metallurgy done it would require some aftermarket pipes to get rid of the cat. No idea about tuning it though. Like jimmy I will be testing a 1250. If it is quicker than the 1200 and handles as well I will be very tempted to get one.

Why not give the KTM Superduke GT a go?
Enough power with no need to upgrade,different modes, handles pretty good, feels light n flickable all-round good bike. 6months 6k miles all good.

Thanks Guys. Been researching it today.
Andys' right, it requires cutting out the CAT and welding a new connection. The kind of thing you'd do on an older bike once it's out of warranty, but obviously dumb on a brand new BMW.
Jimmy, you give sound advice. Sitting up and looking around is the only way I'm gonna get the boss interested in touring. She says I drive too fast...
Thanks Phil. I actually put a deposit on a KTM SD GT when they were announced. My local dealer literally failed to deliver, so I bought an RC8R from one of their competitors. One of my concerns is the quality of service I'll get from said dealer. That's the problem with living on the coast, half the hunting ground.
Defo gonna test ride the 1250. Look forward to everyones reviews on here.

1250 GS coming to Chandlers Brighton on 13th October. GSA not out till next year probably. If I likey, might try and get the warranty on the RR extended as pat of a deal.

Jimmy, you give sound advice. Sitting up and looking around is the only way I'm gonna get the boss interested in touring. She says I drive too fast...
Thanks Phil. I actually put a deposit on a KTM SD GT when they were announced. My local dealer literally failed to deliver, so I bought an RC8R from one of their competitors. One of my concerns is the quality of service I'll get from said dealer. That's the problem with living on the coast, half the hunting ground.
Defo gonna test ride the 1250. Look forward to everyones reviews on here.
Real shame the KTM dealer let you down, our local dealer Jim Aims in Braintree are great! Well worth getting in touch with them if you ever decide to turn Orange.
Mrs Phil (Louise) loves my KTM but I have to fit the rack and top box on when ever we go out 2 up. A GS would be a better choice for pillion if speed needs to be on the slow side.. :eagerness:

Hope you like the new GS.

Last edited:
Back