Steering damper problem

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ukbmw

Reaction score
So i noticed my gen3 had the damper wound up quite high when i purchased it.
I unwound it to ride it home and on the other rides ive done on it its felt like its tramlining alot.
Dint think much about it until i just went to move it in the garage.
Its still stiff to turn.
I unwound it fully and its still too powerful.
You can hear the damper working overtime when you turn lock to lock.
Does anyone know if there is a fault with them at all?
I need to lower damping on it somehow.
When its fully wound up you can barely turn the bars!

Its not the greatest, the sd038 from Ohlins would be a good upgrade.

Its not causing tramlining unless its broken. I run it 7 out from max.

- Alex

Its not the greatest, the sd038 from Ohlins would be a good upgrade.

Its not causing tramlining unless its broken. I run it 7 out from max.

- Alex
Theres definately something wrong with it as it feels like you got a flat tyre when your riding along

Problems with the front steering damper are not common. If you are fighting it in the garage it definately needs looking at lol. There is nothing wrong with the oe damper but like alex says, if you are replacing, then the ohlins might make good man maths sense.

Problems with the front steering damper are not common. If you are fighting it in the garage it definately needs looking at lol. There is nothing wrong with the oe damper but like alex says, if you are replacing, then the ohlins might make good man maths sense.
I got a couple of ohlins so will try see if i van make one fit

you need a cranked mounting bracket from ohlins
I bolted the damper on but cant get full right lock. I need the one with the movable clamp.
I couldnt get the courage to ride it without a damper. Its an insainly fast bike and in my opinion it definately needs a damper.
The damper isnt as stiff as my old zx10 damper but it has very little range of adjustment.
Its either medium stiffness or a tiny bit more than medium when wound up.
Its not as smooth as an ohlins so i will need to get the correct model ohlins

the standard ohlins mounting eye (rod end) needs filling down a bit or it fouls the yoke the bm specific ones are smaller diameter

Back