Rattle on start up??

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattals

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Started noticing a rattle on start up but not every time? Bike has done 13k and has been over serviced.

Could it be timing chain? If so how do I fix....

Help appreciated

I suspect it?s either the cam-chain tensioner, or the front servo motor.

If the former, to my knowledge there?s not really a fix on a Gen 3.
If the latter, it might be worth considering removing the servo motors entirely via 2x Servo Buddies.

FWIW, my Gen 3 always rattles on start up and I?ve always been told it?s the cam chain tensioner. As they are hydraulic it takes a moment for the oil pressure to rise sufficiently

- Oli

Last edited:
my 2015 gen 3 rattled on cold start up and was the front exhaust valve. you can check this by holding something against it like a long screwdriver when starting it up from cold. mine was replaced under warranty.

Hah, this thread escalates really well!

First reply: normal operation.
Second Reply: Easily bypassed part needs replacing with cheap alternative or reasonably prices OEM replacement.
Third Reply: Engine needed replacing.

I love the internet. Mattals, you're totally concentrating on the worst case here aren't you?

OT: Mine also rattles at start-up. When I had it in for it's annual oil change the technician indicated it was the tensioner needing a bit of oil pressure to operate efficiently as Oli mentioned.

If it is the chain BMW have a modified tensioner retaining bolt to rectify the issue. I fitted one to mine to cure the start up rattle

Excuse my ignorance guys, but what is this modified bolt, how is it different to the one it replaces and how does it rectify this chain rattle. I haven't got this problem......yet😳 but I'm just curious, that's all.

It is a modified bolt that has a less deep cup and pushes the tensioner in further. Can only fit after the bike has one 9k.

It Is a silver colour instead of Black too

Back