Clicking from front end

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GixxerChuck

Forum Vendor
Reaction score
I get a clicking sound when pulling the front brake and again when I release. Not noticeable to feel at the moment. I am assuming head bearings unless anyone can advise otherwise. 30k Service due so will mention it then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mine does that too, not been picked up on MOT (several) I think it's probably pads moving in the caliper or the disk bobbins? can't feel any movement n the bearings myself

Could be, headstock or disc related.
My headstock was loose at 7000 miles...but then I'd shaken it with buggered brakes...

- Alex

Bmw checked my headstock bearings the week after i bought the bike and all good. Think it might be pads as my bobbins were all loose

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

In context I?ve done 30k and it only started this week so it?s not normal

I had this issue a couple of years ago on my Gen 2 that was finally agreed to be the headstock bearings after being told it was the brakes, discs etc Basically everything but the head bearings.
Anyway, I finally managed to repro it by wheeling across the workshop at about 3 mph and then applying the brakes with enough force that the forks dipped and it made a sort of clunk clip noise. Anyway new bearings and all was right again. Once they finally agreed it wasnt right, they were changed with no drama. The issue for me was having to prove it to them (despite them saying it was the brakes constantly - "They all do that sir" ) Sigh.....

I've been going through this for the last few months (also Gen2).... I've had the head bearings checked (twice), checked discs, replaced brakes and calipers. Today I got the front wheel bearing changed, and the mechanic that took it for a test ride said that although the head bearing was still tight, it was notchy, and recommended replacement....

Bike has done 16k, been clicking for over 1k miles now

Last edited:
I've had new wheel bearings all round didn't make any difference

Anyway, I finally managed to repro it by wheeling across the workshop at about 3 mph and then applying the brakes with enough force that the forks dipped and it made a sort of clunk clip noise.
That is exactly it. Will do that when I take it in.

Think I?ve located the issue [emoji15]
6b40411d2eaa02d6de1cf8e88fc318ff.jpg

I?m guessing that nut will be heading back to BMW Germany for testing.

All sorted. Warranty replacement. They also swapped my battery which died on the way there. Got to love Cannon BMW

Back