Another QAT question

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wull

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
What is the plastic bit for that comes with the Alpha Quick action throttle?

from looking at the online instructions I can see it?s simething to do with the l/h switchgear but it?s not that clear. I thought it was a case (with the left grip) to just cut the old grip, remove it then slide the new grip on etc, why the need to arse about with the switchgear?

https://shop.alpharacing.com/shop/additional_files/english/3271a004b01_fast throttle kit.pdf
https://shop.alpharacing.com/shop/i...7b35t8eb4h84icbihquikj3&cPath=393_559_594_596

Is it the "switch housing" they mention?

Additional articles
Optimal throttle-control by a 15? reduced throttle travel. The fast throttle kit can be mounted in stock throttle-housing or together with the alpha Racing aluminium throttle housing. The stock accelerator cables can be used.
- complete kit with medium compound grips
- cable roll d=50 mm
- travel reduced by 15? (78? to 63?)
- to be used with stock accelerator cables
- fits OEM and accessory handlebars
- incl. retainer flasher unit

Delivery
- throttle inner tube d=50 mm
- Renthal rubber grips (medium compound)
- glue
** - bracket switch housing left **

Modified vehicle parts
- cable roll
- grips
- bracket switch housing left

Yep that’s the one. From what I can gather it’s to do with fitting the race switchgear maybe, there is absolutely no reason to touch the switchgear for just fitting a new grip, or no reason that I can tell. Cut off old, slip the new one on. What’s got me stumped is why supply it with this, would it not make sense to supply the little plastic bit with the race switches. That’s if I’ve got it correct lol!

I think I’ve sussed it lol!

the Renthal grip won’t fit over the plastic bit that’s underneath the standard grip (presuming) and the switchgear relies on that plastic part to stay in place. So by removing that you have to substitute it with the plastic bit that’s supplied in the kit to hold the switchgear in place.....is that it?

Balls.....

For the life of me I can?t get the throttle cables in place with the alpha QAT throttle tube, I also made an arse of trying to remove the std throttle tube, it snapped off so I?m stuck until I get this QAT fitted. The instructions from Alpha Racing suck balls.

Why the fook can I not get them in place? Help!

Quick Action Throttle

You need to remove the tension in the throttle cables. This should then allow you to hook the cables on to the quick action throttle tube and give you enough slack to install everything back on the clip-on. You should be fine if you are following the pictures in the alpha Racing instructions.

Re: Quick Action Throttle

You need to remove the tension in the throttle cables. This should then allow you to hook the cables on to the quick action throttle tube and give you enough slack to install everything back on the clip-on. You should be fine if you are following the pictures in the alpha Racing instructions.

Got it in the end up, the cable was fully slackened off and even then it was a chore, got there in ge end so back in business. Bit annoyed about breaking the std one as the plan was I could easily return back to std but tbh I don’t think I could be bothered with going through all that again.

looks better with the Renthal grips fitted as well, not had a chance to try it.

glad you managed it ! it's a very tight squeeze to get the cables on / off even when fully slack.
I managed to put the mounting screw back wrong and ended up sawing a few mil off the end of the tube doh!
needed a new screw too!

glad you managed it ! it's a very tight squeeze to get the cables on / off even when fully slack.
I managed to put the mounting screw back wrong and ended up sawing a few mil off the end of the tube doh!
needed a new screw too!

might sound daft but how much lateral movement is there with your throttle tube? I think I’m being paranoid as I never noticed any with the std throttle but notice it now because I’m double checking everything. I checked on my R1 trackbbike and there’s a little on that so probably perfectly normal.

little bit of movement make sure you've got the grip positioned so it doesn't touch the housing or end weight or movement gets even stiffer!

Yeah it’s bang on, that was my main priority when fitting it. The snap shut is quite aggressive so it’s all good.

Back