How stupid am I???

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz93

Reaction score
Finished work early today.. working away down lowestoft.. decided to go for ride.. pulled in shell petrol station , picked up the V-power nozzle and put ?12 worth of fuel in..
3 mile down the road bike began to slow and splutter.. then came to a halt..
No... I cried surely I've not put diesel in????
It was v-power I picked up...
Left bike outside farmhouse.. and walked back to petrol station.. and yes you've guessed it.. when I looked at pump id put V-power Diesel in...
Bought a petrol can (?12) filled it with v-power unleaded and walked back to bike..
When I got there farmer had came out and cut a long story short.. we siphoned diesel out and put fresh petrol in..
( I reckon it was about 50/50 petrol /diesel that was in tank).
Finally got bike started after a lot of smoke and spluttering and coughing..
Went back to petrol station and filled to brim with v-power unleaded..
Went for a ride (bout 80miles) and everything seems fine.. no smoke no splutter..
Just topped it up again witg Tesco momentum..

Will I now need RedEx?? In to totally clear lines and injectors??
Or am I right in assuming everything will be fine???

Relax mate..I done the same on a blade...my mistake was the diesel pump handle had a green cover thing on it...signifying it was good as in 'green is good"....rode off spluttered to a halt. Realised the green thing was a cover over the black handle, arseholes at Morrisons thinking this is a good thing, demonstrating to Joe public that they are a caring petrol station and supermarket... .... pushed bike back to fuel station....got a piece of garden hose..as an act of childish retribution syphoned the full contents of my tank into the grass and bushes..topped up with petrol fired her up...all good...

Petrol into a diesel engine is a disaster...think about it.. as Diesel is actually an oil.

You will be fine...how's it running ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yeah it's running spot on.. although ive only had bike a week.. but done 380 miles on it up to now. So still getting used to it.. but it does seem to be fine... took ages to start though when I put the can of fuel in.. was smoking and sputtering .. but after a few minutes of persistence she finally kicked into life..
Just wasn't sure if I should out redex in now? Will it do any harm?? I'll be riding 280 miles back up to home next Wednesday so she'll get a good run out again... parked her up outside my digs for now...

Agree with Stuart, just keep refilling every 80 miles to dilute any oil left behind.

A couple of hundred miles and there will be no trace of your mistake.

JimmyMac

Thanks lads.. I'm just worried I might of done damage... but thanks for the reassurance

Sounds tickety boo mate. . Forget about it, if you can..... an interim refill as Jimmy says will certainly help...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back