brakes pulsing

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you read the article?
Yeah, why?

I take it you know car rotors and bike rotors have different mounts etc right? And this is aimed at cars with totally different forces levels, materials, service life etc etc

Pad material on disk should be removed via 3M scotchbrite when you change pads as a minimum.

I'm not sure what I am missing? I was agreeing that bobbin cleaning can't fix everything...

- Alex

Last edited:
Yeah, why?

I take it you know car rotors and bike rotors have different mounts etc right? And this is aimed at cars with totally different forces levels, materials, service life etc etc

Pad material on disk should be removed via 3M scotchbrite when you change pads as a minimum.

I'm not sure what I am missing? I was agreeing that bobbin cleaning can't fix everything...

- Alex
Yes of course, heat dissipation and all that, cars and bikes are completely different. Cars have massive heat sinks, and ventilated discs, bikes make do with bobbins that recognise they’re on their own and need to expand with heat. But, the problem with bikes is that there is not really much opportunity to shed the heat, so everything can get massively overheated, especially with Brembos, and lots of kinetic energy. Bobbins make sure that the discs are allowed to expand, and need to be maintained to make sure that that happens. But, once you deposited a load of material over the discs through braking beyond the parameters of the material, you’re goosed. All I’m saying is, through bitter experience, is ride within the pads capabilities, or choose different pads! BMW have no idea what you’re going to do with a new s1, they give you their best guess.
The OP’s bike may well have depositson the discs, from which there is little rowing back, apart from new discs. But, maybe cleaning the bobbins will sort it all out - who knows..

Hi the pulsing at the lever was caused by the bobbins being stuck as they had not been cleaned . Its only used on the road and once cleaned as Alex suggested the problem is no more, thanks Alex.

Without sounding thick, how do you spin the bobbins on the standard gen 3 discs?

There used for bolting to the wheel.

Any tips advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the cast wheels the disc mounts to wheel through the bobbins. You need to remove discs to clean bobbins. The oem discs have fixed integral bobbins.
Some aftermarket replacements (e.g. Brembo serie oro) have two part bobbins that could be replaced separately to disc (if available).

Back