Yet another oil thread

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t1s1f

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently had a mechanic do an oil change. He changed the oil, turned on the bike to get oil into the filter, turned it off and topped it off. We were sitting at around 80% of the red circle within the oil window.

Today I started the bike to warm it up before going on a ride (I warmed it much more then he did). I noticed a weird noise (like a crackling noise) and checked the oil level window. The level was practically empty. I added a bit more (very little) and now the oil, with the bike cold, sits very close the red circle in the window. No noise either.

I heard about overflowing oil, so I wanted to check a few things:

Is it too much to have the oil near the red circle in the oil window?
With a harm bike is it normal that the level goes practically to zero?

Thank you!

Oil level looks lower when running as the oil is being pumped around the system.
You need to give it 10mins to drain before deciding it needs a top up.

- Alex

Oil level looks lower when running as the oil is being pumped around the system.
You need to give it 10mins to drain before deciding it needs a top up.

- Alex

Thanks Alex! Makes sense. Have to admit I was a bit frightened when it happened (especially if you mix the smoke that was coming out due to the oil that was in the exhaust).

I'm going to leave the bike running for a while and see how far down it goes.

I believe the sight glass is covered on the side stand. You need to check it on a paddock stand ideally. It should be about half way I think. (Its in the manusl I am sure)

- Alex

I believe the sight glass is covered on the side stand. You need to check it on a paddock stand ideally. It should be about half way I think. (Its in the manusl I am sure)

- Alex

Half way filled between bottom and top of the site glass is as per the manufacturer recommendation. However so long as it?s not filled beyond the maximum of the site glass window all is well

- Oli

Yeah, I'm checking with the paddock stand. I was a bit afraid when it all down, so I topped it off a bit. Any recommendation of when it should be when the bike is hot?

Oli, that's with the bike cold, right?

Yeah, I'm checking with the paddock stand. I was a bit afraid when it all down, so I topped it off a bit. Any recommendation of when it should be when the bike is hot?

Oli, that's with the bike cold, right?

Can be cold or hot, however if the latter you must wait for 10 mins or so as Alex says to allow the oil to settle. Engine must always be off, it is irrelevant what the site glass level is when the engine is running.

You?ll notice a slight change in oil level between hot and cold, however it?s not significant enough to worry about.
The site glass is a range after all, so as long as you have a healthy amount in with the engine cold, but not massively overfilled (I.e. even with the bike leant away it is still not possible to see the top of the oil level) then it?s fine

- Oli

It might be due to the fact that English is not my native language, but I'm getting a bit confused as to when I should check the level. When the bike is COLD (stopped for the last couple of hours), the level is right below the top red circle. Almost touching it.

Is it worth taking a bit off I shouldn't I bother since it's still within the accepted markers?

Thanks!

Your ment to ride for ten minutes then turn the bike off and check the level after a certain time.

Much like BMW cars stupid if you ask me.

Was able to snap a picture this morning. Bike cold as balls!

https://imgur.com/a/7kDcrHc

Based on the overwhelming amount of information I read, this should be within what is acceptable.

You will probably find that if you check as described by Poul (BMW way) then it will fill the site glass. If so then that is slightly overfilled. Howeve, I have run my bike in the past with cold level as in your photo without problems.

Hi guys,

First of all, thank you all for your patience and support. I'm really OCD'ed about these things since I don't want anything bad to happen. Truth be told, in the past, I never worried about this. Since I "transformed" my bike into track only, I've been getting to know/learn a lot and pay attention to stuff that I never cared about.

This whole oil thing, however, is getting me f*ing crazy. Again, OCD. I've exported the relevant section from the manual:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cXNp3A0tmaAVC6KgNDbvOIRSgJ0t5E8j

It's not, IMHO, easy to follow. I'm starting to think that I'll just leave it as is, but I also want to learn about the recommended way of doing it.

As per BMW suggestion, I would ride for 10 minutes (don't know where I'll go with a bike with no license plate or insurance), turn it off, wait like what? 5 minutes? And check the level?

I've read so much crap of how my engine will go to shit if it's overfilled that I'm starting to lose nights of sleep because of this shit!

Thanks again guys, and sorry for all the noise!

Hi guys,

First of all, thank you all for your patience and support. I'm really OCD'ed about these things since I don't want anything bad to happen. Truth be told, in the past, I never worried about this. Since I "transformed" my bike into track only, I've been getting to know/learn a lot and pay attention to stuff that I never cared about.

This whole oil thing, however, is getting me f*ing crazy. Again, OCD. I've exported the relevant section from the manual:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cXNp3A0tmaAVC6KgNDbvOIRSgJ0t5E8j

It's not, IMHO, easy to follow. I'm starting to think that I'll just leave it as is, but I also want to learn about the recommended way of doing it.

As per BMW suggestion, I would ride for 10 minutes (don't know where I'll go with a bike with no license plate or insurance), turn it off, wait like what? 5 minutes? And check the level?

I've read so much crap of how my engine will go to shit if it's overfilled that I'm starting to lose nights of sleep because of this shit!

Thanks again guys, and sorry for all the noise!

Seriously dude, chill, as the others have said your oil level is absolutely 100 % fine [emoji4]

For simplicities sake I would recommend you just check it when stone cold and see that the oil level is clearly visible, e.g. 25 - 75 % full from the site glass.

All is well [emoji4]

- Oli

Last edited:
Just my thoughts...check when cold mate...then there's no uncertainty...

My RR9 Blade was a check when hot would you believe...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Agree with the advice above, check it in the sight glass when cold and just keep an eye on it during your track time, every bike I've had has used more oil on track, nothing to worry about - oh yeah, make sure your sump plug is torqued up correctly

Just my thoughts...check when cold mate...then there's no uncertainty...

My RR9 Blade was a check when hot would you believe...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

At least you don't have to lie down to check the level, just pull the dipstick

Back