Was I unlucky...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huge

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
... to break ribs in a low side on a track day?
I've heard that fingers and clavicle are the more usual suspects in a minor off.
Obviously all bets are off if another bike is involved.
Thoughts welcome. H

Race / Trackday Injuries

The worst race / trackday injuries that I've received over the years have been broken fingers, wrists (scaphoid), ribs and clavicles and a few dislocations. I've generally been quite lucky in my 18+ years of track riding despite having some pretty big offs.

... to break ribs in a low side on a track day?
I've heard that fingers and clavicle are the more usual suspects in a minor off.
Obviously all bets are off if another bike is involved.
Thoughts welcome. H

Wearing Handroids I think your fingers stand a better chance than in years gone by Hugh, collarbone is very common as you will know.

I slipped of a scaffold board two weeks back and broke two bones in my right wrist because I fell forward and rolled over my hands, the embarrassing thing was the scaffold board was only 200mm above ground, yet I've fallen off a roof ( around 3.5 metres ) and not even been bruised.

You take your chances in life but any off you can walk away from is a good one, take care big fella.

JimmyMac

You hit a high kerb, they are not that common. So yes unlucky. Try to fall off somewhere better in future ;)

Thanks Guys.
I'm around halfway through the rib healing process (week 3, of 6 I'm told) and now just taking stock really.
Eyes wide open, I know injuries happen in risky hobbies, although everything I hear about track day riding doesn't compare to the horror stories I hear from friends who go skiing. I wonder how it compares with other hobbies / sports, if comparisons are even possible...

The worst race / trackday injuries that I've received over the years have been broken fingers, wrists (scaphoid), ribs and clavicles and a few dislocations. I've generally been quite lucky in my 18+ years of track riding despite having some pretty big offs.
Thanks Ry, pretty much confirms what I hear, good to know that you've never had a major injury.

Wearing Handroids I think your fingers stand a better chance than in years gone by Hugh, collarbone is very common as you will know.
I slipped of a scaffold board two weeks back and broke two bones in my right wrist because I fell forward and rolled over my hands, the embarrassing thing was the scaffold board was only 200mm above ground, yet I've fallen off a roof ( around 3.5 metres ) and not even been bruised.
You take your chances in life but any off you can walk away from is a good one, take care big fella.
JimmyMac
Sorry to hear 'bout your wrist Jimmy. You sure it wasn't a result of extra vigorous onanistic indulgence? Try your left hand instead and think of Kylie...

You hit a high kerb, they are not that common. So yes unlucky. Try to fall off somewhere better in future ;)
My own fault. I try to keep an eye for risky sections on new tracks. At Rockingham the transition on and off the oval are obvious nasty spots (especially the ACTUAL TYRES instead of run off as the inner track rejoins the oval) but I totally missed the high orange kerbs on the chicane :-(
I'm wondering whether I should risk our Brands GP day now. I was gung-ho just after the off but now don't fancy pressing the re-set button on the rib healing. No Limits have offered a refund (credit actually), or I could drop down a group and totter around. I need to experiment with a new riding style anyway but maybe that's best for next year. Decisions...

Keith (Bananaman) and I are in Middle 2 for 20/9...if that helps your decision.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys.
I'm around halfway through the rib healing process (week 3, of 6 I'm told) and now just taking stock really.
Eyes wide open, I know injuries happen in risky hobbies, although everything I hear about track day riding doesn't compare to the horror stories I hear from friends who go skiing. I wonder how it compares with other hobbies / sports, if comparisons are even possible...

Thanks Ry, pretty much confirms what I hear, good to know that you've never had a major injury.

Sorry to hear 'bout your wrist Jimmy. You sure it wasn't a result of extra vigorous onanistic indulgence? Try your left hand instead and think of Kylie...

My own fault. I try to keep an eye for risky sections on new tracks. At Rockingham the transition on and off the oval are obvious nasty spots (especially the ACTUAL TYRES instead of run off as the inner track rejoins the oval) but I totally missed the high orange kerbs on the chicane :-(
I'm wondering whether I should risk our Brands GP day now. I was gung-ho just after the off but now don't fancy pressing the re-set button on the rib healing. No Limits have offered a refund (credit actually), or I could drop down a group and totter around. I need to experiment with a new riding style anyway but maybe that's best for next year. Decisions...

Personally, I would get back on asap providing its not too painful. Inters for me at brands is just steady tracktime before the up and coming euro.
When I was taken out on the road a few years back, I had all right side ribs broken/cracked, shoulder blade and collar bone. When I was let out of hospital, every day was a sit on the bike to see if I could reach the bars. Don't mind saying it brought a few tears …:concern:

Personally, I would get back on asap providing its not too painful. Inters for me at brands is just steady tracktime before the up and coming euro.
When I was taken out on the road a few years back, I had all right side ribs broken/cracked, shoulder blade and collar bone. When I was let out of hospital, every day was a sit on the bike to see if I could reach the bars. Don't mind saying it brought a few tears ?:concern:
Ouch, and thanks for your words of encouragement, B-man.
Pain is fine, doesn't even come close to when I got knocked off 20 years ago and ruptured a disc in my neck. Your old injuries sound worse still...
In terms of getting back on the bike, I dosed up at the chemists and rode the bike home from Rocky right after the off (funnily enough, I was most comfortable between 120 and 130, the wind supporting me, Lol). I've been doing the odd ride between getting the RR fixed up. In fact I'm meeting zxcv12 tomorrow for a run around tomorrow morning down here.
In terms of the Brands GP trackday, I've taken "No Limits" offer of a credit which I'll use when the ribs are fully healed, so I won't partake. I'm hoping to pop over and say hi to you and Alex on the day though. There are loads of good back roads to Brands from me.

Last edited:
Great that you are healing fine Hugh.
Just met up with Alex in his Batcave, they must have known I was coming down as there are loads of flags in Hyde Park out for me and an Ochestra, lol.

aade4d5eaf860bd88e4c2b23e34752fc.jpg

JimmyMac and Wee Dawn

Great that you are healing fine Hugh.
Just met up with Alex in his Batcave, they must have known I was coming down as there are loads of flags in Hyde Park out for me and an Ochestra, lol. JimmyMac and Wee Dawn
Ahh. Enjoy your romantic night with Kylie for 2 (...hundred thousand), H

Alex. Like the man cave, very jealous. BTW, your front wheel looks slightly mis-aligned. I think the brake disc's go at the sides...

Hey you, I found your ignition key in your garage and never even cloned it before I gave you it back, lol.

5ddc3fe3fe12a2858a9d50579ecbdf22.jpg

JimmyMac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back